Catholics voting DUP

Started by longballin, June 05, 2018, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heganboy

Official name is "the Catholic Church" the Roman part is an adjective to differentiate from other churches that use the same name, and is so called because the Bishop of Rome leads the church.

It is viewed in many cases as a derogatory term, but not always, as the church itself does use the term in its own literature.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on June 05, 2018, 01:41:07 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2018, 12:30:15 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 05, 2018, 12:17:37 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2018, 11:54:04 AM
Is the rush of Catholics to vote DUP being overstated? I see Bernie Smyth siddling up to Ian og on the front of the Irish News. The party that supported shoot to kill and whose founder ridiculed the pope as an 'anti Christ'.  What I have lived to see.
It seems to me there's a cohort of conservative Roman Catholics in the wee six - plenty on this forum - that have far more in common with the DUP than they do with the vast majority of Roman Catholics both in the wee six and in the Republic who don't take religion very seriously.

But abortion and to a lesser extent same sex marriage are issues which could deeply undermine unionism and particularly the DUP.

There is huge public support for reform of abortion laws in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein and the SDLP have already seen which way the wind is blowing on these issues.

The DUP will end up losing touch with their base on these issues in the same way the Roman Catholic Church lost touch.

Protestant, unionist women need abortions.

And there are plenty of gay Protestant, unionists too.

The forces which will modernise the laws on these issues in the wee six are going to rise inexorably in the near future and they will rise across all communities.

The backwoodsmen won't be able to hold back the tide forever.

Sid could you do us a favour and drop the Roman bit. It was and is used in a derogatory way by those backwoodsmen that you have described, so there is no need for us to take it on ourselves.

Didn't know that myself, learn something every day..

As much as I don't doubt there may be devout Catholics who'd vote DUP purely on the abortion issue at the same time the DUP voters can't just be solely evangelical, right wing prods as there's every bit as many non attenders/believers in their voting strength as well.

Ian O'g and Arlene may be reading a bit too much into this one priests letter and the power he has over his congregation yet can ignore the other side of the argument that whilst DUP voters won't be moving over to the Shinners, they'll probably vote Alliance or the fence sitting UUP.

Or alternatively they don't believe what they are saying and it is just a pr stunt....

Put them on the spot to share their views on catholicism with the world and then see how many votes they get.

ziggysego

Nothing said about the DUP voters who might not agree with the party on this issue and sent a wee letter to Ian Paisley Jnr or Arlene Foster to say they are going to vote Sinn Fein or the SDLP now? It's not always one-way traffic, as I know a former Unionist voter who decided to change his views on constitutional issues and vote Sinn Fein now.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

I believe Sammy was at a committee of pro abortionists in Westminister today and his "direct" approach did not quite go down well. He likes to give it, but may not be as keen to take it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

markl121

I'd highly doubt there's too many. I'll admit  not too sure I agree with abortions, it just doesn't sit right with me, I'm not religious I don't really believe in god. But I believe fully in a United ireland and disagreement on one issue with Sinn Fein won't make me want to be a unionist all of a sudden. Not everyone can agree fully with every political party policy, you just have to associate yourself with the one where you agree mostly with. For me it's sinn Fein.

BennyCake

While I agree with DUPs stance on same sex marriage and abortion, I still wouldn't vote for them. SF and their stance on above certainly don't represent me, and I'll never be voting for them again.

This talk about "if you haven't voted, you can't complain about what's going on". I look at it this way - I don't vote, so the pantomime politics going on, well I'm not responsible for any of it.

johnnycool

Sammy getting a rough ride in the house of commons.

Can't see Arlene and co wanting direct rule so much now!

snoopdog

Lets get the sdlp and the uup back in charge.

trailer

I would be against Abortion but realise the current laws are not working and would be in favour of some change. While it's a very emotive issue. I find it hard to believe anyone would vote DUP on this issue alone.

I disagree with SF on almost everything. I still won't be voting DUP.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ziggysego on June 05, 2018, 08:46:32 PM
Nothing said about the DUP voters who might not agree with the party on this issue and sent a wee letter to Ian Paisley Jnr or Arlene Foster to say they are going to vote Sinn Fein or the SDLP now? It's not always one-way traffic, as I know a former Unionist voter who decided to change his views on constitutional issues and vote Sinn Fein now.
Exactly, I would say on balance, the DUP lost more voters than it gained on this issue.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hound

Quote from: heganboy on June 05, 2018, 03:48:44 PM
Official name is "the Catholic Church" the Roman part is an adjective to differentiate from other churches that use the same name, and is so called because the Bishop of Rome leads the church.

It is viewed in many cases as a derogatory term, but not always, as the church itself does use the term in its own literature.

When the Irish Census takes place, the options are:
- Roman Catholic
- Church of Ireland
- Islam
- Presbyterian
- Orthodox
- Other religion
- No religion

I wouldn't consider "Roman Catholic" derogatory in the slightest. (Unless maybe when said in a certain tone by certain northern accents!).

markl121

Think Roman Catholic becomes derogatory when you have the likes of Gregory Campbell saying it. Catholics don't generally refer to themselves as Roman Catholic.

weareros

Quote from: markl121 on June 06, 2018, 02:17:00 PM
Think Roman Catholic becomes derogatory when you have the likes of Gregory Campbell saying it. Catholics don't generally refer to themselves as Roman Catholic.

Think some say Roman Catholic to distinguish from Anglo Catholic (ie Anglicans who consider themselves Catholic).

Sammy the Gammon seems to have no scuples in showcasing the DinosaurUP for the world to see. Normal Brits must surely question why they are underwriting all this.

screenexile

Quote from: weareros on June 06, 2018, 02:34:23 PM
Quote from: markl121 on June 06, 2018, 02:17:00 PM

Think some say Roman Catholic to distinguish from Anglo Catholic (ie Anglicans who consider themselves Catholic).

Sammy the Gammon seems to have no scuples in showcasing the DinosaurUP for the world to see. Normal Brits must surely question why they are underwriting all this.

:o :o

Mikhail Prokhorov

everyone is against abortion until the kid is born and they have to look at them. Then you're on your own jack.