Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 02:17:22 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 14, 2018, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2018, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on May 14, 2018, 09:48:59 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 13, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 13, 2018, 10:40:29 PM
It was a joke and pretty f**king harmless for a bunch of white Irish people on a GAA forum.

Go write a strongly worded letter to Sacha Baron Cohen or Seth McFarlane who've spent the best part of 15 years telling the same kind of jokes to the mass market.
I'm not familiar with Seth MacFarlane, but I would assume he is Jewish given his first name.

Sacha Baron Cohen can tell all the jokes about Jews that he likes, because he is one.

The thing is, his humour is designed to not only to laugh at his own historically oppressed ethnic group, which is he is entitled to do by virtue of being a member of that group, but to ridicule anti-semitism and anti-semites. And you clearly don't even get that.

Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman can tell jokes about Jews and rape jokes, because they are both Jewish and women, and thus can use dark, confrontational humour to challenge and ridicule anti-semitism and misogynism.

A Muslim comedian gets to make jokes about Muslims. A disabled comedian gets to tell jokes about disabled people.

It's very clear you fail to understand the difference betwen that type of humour, and, say, Bernard Manning. Or Kevin Myers. Or Ron Atkinson.

Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0
Sid, if you heard such a joke from a comedian you're not familiar with, would you need to check his religious and ethnical background so you could accurately weigh up whether the joke is funny or offensive, before deciding whether to laugh heartily or write a thesis about racism in comedy?
Excellent point and shows up the absurdity of some of the positions here. Funny is funny end of - Dougal's original joke here that sprouted this bleeting match was just shit tho.

Was there an answer to this at all?
I'll wait for all the the six county Catholics on this thread to finish up their bomb-making activities for the day before answering.

Hey, just #bantz, remember!?

Like Barry McElduff!

Seriously do I have to research jokes/ comedians before laughing at them? And lets be honest the Catholic Church rightfully get loads of abuse on here including stereotypical comments. In fact I don't think there's a grouping/ race that get as much.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2018, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2018, 02:09:19 PM
Israel shouldn't be in the Eurovision. Neither should Australia.
Israel shouldn't be in UEFA either

No, but I'm just hoping they qualify for Qatar 2022. Then the fun will start.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 02:59:14 PM
Why is Dougal Maguire twaddling on about jokes when it's obvious to everyone that Windmill Abu's literally anti-semetic post wasn't a joke? Sometimes people on this site (most times) don't realise how absolutely reprehensible the behaviour they're trying to defend is.

Windmill's post was out of line. No problem with someone taking issue with it. Dougal's however was harmless.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 02:29:36 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 02:23:34 PM
You've lost me with that last bit Chief
Being lost is no doubt a feeling you're well used to.
What do you mean by a cryptic message like that?
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

I'm cut to the bone. I thought my initial comment was a piece of spontaneous comedy genius if truth be told.
Careful now

seafoid

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2018, 02:44:13 PM

Before they even bribed won the right to host, Qatari officials said that if Israel qualified they would welcome the team into the country. In any case Qatar don't ban Israeli passport holders from entering the country outright compared to most Arab countries but they do require a visa application beforehand.
The problem with Israel is that it never integrated into the Middle East.
No country in the region needs an international aiport the way Israel does.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

BennyCake

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2018, 04:10:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2018, 02:44:13 PM

Before they even bribed won the right to host, Qatari officials said that if Israel qualified they would welcome the team into the country. In any case Qatar don't ban Israeli passport holders from entering the country outright compared to most Arab countries but they do require a visa application beforehand.

Yes but then there's the Qatari people. That could be a different story.

BennyCake

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 14, 2018, 08:35:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2018, 05:03:30 PMYes but then there's the Qatari people. That could be a different story.
Only 12% of Qatar's resident population are Qatari citizens, they have the highest GDP per head of any country in the world notwithstanding that many South Asian working there in construction, hospitality & as servants along with many other foreigners are effectively indentured slaves. So nah.
In the current geopolitical climate, it might be trickier if Saudi Arabia, Egypt or the UAE qualify for the 2022 World Cup.

Trouble has started before elsewhere with less ;)

Eamonnca1

There's a poll going around on thejournal.ie asking if Ireland should boycott Eurovision in Israel. Initially, I thought yes, but if someone were to pen a good song about standing up to colonizing land-grabbing oppressors on the other hand...

balladmaker

QuoteThere's a poll going around on thejournal.ie asking if Ireland should boycott Eurovision in Israel. Initially, I thought yes, but if someone were to pen a good song about standing up to colonizing land-grabbing oppressors on the other hand...

I know just the group for that

Targetman

BennyCake

Ireland didn't make the final. So we are boycotting Israel in a round about way.

Captain Obvious

It's becomes apparent that Eurosong competition has become too expensive to host.

Itchy

Didn't watch it, if you did you should be ashamed of yourselves.