Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2012, 12:55:36 PM
I thought he was a young enough man. What happened him?

He was 63 and was cancer - very sad!

Brian Woolnough, the Daily Star's chief sports writer and presenter of Sky Sports' Sunday Supplement, has died aged 63.

One of the most recognisable journalists to English football supporters, Woolnough had been suffering from bowel cancer when he died at his home. He is survived by his wife, Linda and three children.

He joined the Star in 2001 having spent 27 years with The Sun and was also responsible for augmenting the profile of sports journalists via television.

A prominent figure in the infamous England documentary Do I Not Like That, despite emerging as a vocal critic of Graeme Taylor's reign, Woolnough nevertheless entered the referee's dressing room to question him on why he hadn't sent off Ronald Koeman during a World Cup qualifier in Rotterdam in 1993.

Woolnough went on to chair Sky's Hold the Back Page in 1994, a precursor for the now weekly Sunday Supplement, which he went on to front after Jimmy Hill departed the programme in 2007.

The Sunday Supplement was conspicuous by his absence this season, with the Daily Mail's Neil Ashton taking up the mantle while Woolnough fought his disease
That was never a square ball!!

The Worker

Rip Brian woolnough

Not too long after Danny fullbrook either. Sad.

Farrandeelin

RIP Brian Woolnough. And to all the tragic work accident victims. I only go on this thread from time to time.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Shamrock Shore

Andy Williams dies aged 84.

Crooner from the old school for those of ye under 40.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

I hope Andy Williams is remembered for the happiness he brought to thousands of people and not for inflicting the Osmonds on the world.

Meanwhile I remember when John Bond took Norwich to play Notts Forest in a league game and the game was postponed shortly before the scheduled kick off time due to a waterlogged pitch.Bond said "Why don't they just get Brian Clough to use his mouth and blow hot air on to the pitch!"  ;D

Kerry Mike

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the passing of my Dad recently, really appreciate them all. May he RIP

Mick O'Dwyer who is a family friend drove the hearse on the day of the funeral to Derrynane before the burial on Abbey Island.

This was taken by Kerry's Eye..

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 26, 2012, 09:44:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the passing of my Dad recently, really appreciate them all. May he RIP

Mick O'Dwyer who is a family friend drove the hearse on the day of the funeral to Derrynane before the burial on Abbey Island.

Very sorry to hear about your father's passing.

Nice photo (given the circumstances).

T Fearon

By a cruel irony,Mary Carmel O'Dwyer,wife of Micko.RIP

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 26, 2012, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 26, 2012, 09:44:02 PM

Very sorry to hear about your father's passing.

Nice photo (given the circumstances).

+1.
Careful now

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2012, 10:32:55 PM

Mary Carmel had been ill for quite a while. A lovely woman. Condolences to Mick, Karl, John and Robbie.

Also my condolences to Kerry Mike on your father's passing.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on September 26, 2012, 10:41:12 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 26, 2012, 10:32:55 PM

Mary Carmel had been ill for quite a while. A lovely woman. Condolences to Mick, Karl, John and Robbie.

Also my condolences to Kerry Mike on your father's passing.

Glad to see you back Mike, condolences of course to you and yours, hope you got my message. That is a lovely, poignant picture above.

RIP to Mary Carmel O'Dwyer as well, another stalwart of Waterville. Sympathies to Micko and the lads.

Declan

QuoteGlad to see you back Mike, condolences of course to you and yours, hope you got my message. That is a lovely, poignant picture above.

RIP to Mary Carmel O'Dwyer as well, another stalwart of Waterville. Sympathies to Micko and the lads.

+1

Declan

Dunshaughlin GAA
Wednesday 26th marked the passing of a true Dunshaughlin great Dinny McCarthy. Dinny passed away at home surrounded by his close family. He was a well known character throughout not just the local area but also the whole county. A true gentleman in every sense of the word, Dinny had a particular love for GAA and in particular Dunshaughlin GAA. One of our most loyal supporters Dinny will be sorely missed by everyone. RIP Dinny.

Sandino

Actor Herbert Lom, best known for playing Charles Dreyfus in the Pink Panther films, has died aged 95.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''