Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Didn't even look out of breadth after the race in what some have heralded as one of the greatest endurance feat ever. Not normal.

Tony Baloney

Look forward to seeing him do it in a proper race.

imtommygunn

Look forward to him against Bekele in a major more than anything. Sub 2 won't happen for real for a long long time.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 12, 2019, 07:21:23 PM
Look forward to him against Bekele in a major more than anything. Sub 2 won't happen for real for a long long time.
It seemed pretty real today! I know what you mean though by for real ie race conditions/rules etc but he still had to cover the distance today. Do you think say in 50 years and let's just guess the 2hr will have been broken in a proper race 5 or 6 or whatever number of times by then that Kipchoge won't be remembered as the first person to break it?
I think he will.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Yeah didn't mean that to come across as it was a fake lol.

Yeah he will always be remembered for breaking it, what I'm saying is the first person to do it in a race now won't be remembered so much.

Great achievement which I honestly don't mean to take away from by saying that.

imtommygunn

New womens world record in Chicago today. Bad few weeks for Radcliffe lol.

Lots of furore around the shoes.

BennyCake

Would Underarmour be good for keeping warm for winter running?

Track bottoms I'm fine with, but feel the cold more in the top half, and don't want to wear too many layers for that. Wasn't sure if that underarmour (or similar) is more for warmth or keeping cool?

imtommygunn

They do some good base layers. Themselves and helly Hansen. I ran in the helly Hansen the time it was -13 so they are pretty good too.

laoislad

Do ye not warm up after a mile or so? Maybe not at -13 granted but in normal cold weather?
I never wear anything other than shorts and at most a long sleeve running top. Tried some base layers once and felt like ripping them off after a few miles as I was too warm.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on October 17, 2019, 10:55:05 PM
Do ye not warm up after a mile or so? Maybe not at -13 granted but in normal cold weather?
I never wear anything other than shorts and at most a long sleeve running top. Tried some base layers once and felt like ripping them off after a few miles as I was too warm.
You'll be getting the girls (and some fellas) all in a fluster.  ;D

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 17, 2019, 11:34:14 PM
Aye I'm a real Adonis plodding along at 9 min miles sweating buckets no matter the temperature!

imtommygunn

Quote from: laoislad on October 18, 2019, 07:46:37 AM
Aye I'm a real Adonis plodding along at 9 min miles sweating buckets no matter the temperature!

;D

Surely you need them in snow and freezing pouring rain though??

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 18, 2019, 08:26:01 AM
Quote from: laoislad on October 18, 2019, 07:46:37 AM

;D

Surely you need them in snow and freezing pouring rain though??

Might throw on a pair of gloves that be about it.
I don't feel the cold as much as most.I think I'm conditioned to it from years of working outside, not as much any more but I would have back in the day. Believe me when you are wiring 30 fluorescent lights in a cattle shed on a freezing winter morning you soon get used to the cold.

lfdown2

excitement/trepidation building now...had bad start to the training and blew up on my 2nd 20 miler but fuk it at this stage. Just need to settle on a strategy!

Anyway, staying down Saturday & Sunday, have a Airbnb on Tara St - any idea where would be best to park? Probably end up with a QPark or similar, not cheap but unless any of ye have any advise I would say there's little option.

laoislad

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 22, 2019, 11:14:06 AM
excitement/trepidation building now...had bad start to the training and blew up on my 2nd 20 miler but fuk it at this stage. Just need to settle on a strategy!

Anyway, staying down Saturday & Sunday, have a Airbnb on Tara St - any idea where would be best to park? Probably end up with a QPark or similar, not cheap but unless any of ye have any advise I would say there's little option.
Yep getting close now. Looking forward to it with both dread and excitement myself.
Weather forecast seems good also.
Have never put as many miles into training so hopefully it pays off come sunday afternoon around mile 20!