Fuel Tanker Drivers' Strike

Started by Dougal Maguire, March 28, 2012, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

I see the Coalition Government is getting itself in a right tizzy over the possible strike by fuel tanker drivers. Cameron has advised motorists to fill up therefore 'fuelling' panic buying. Another Minister has gone further and advised motorists to stock up on petrol, suggesting that they store some in gerry cans in their garages. If a motorist did so and lets say one of his kids got access to the stuff and set the place alight could that Minister be held liable as it was on his advice the motorist acted?
Careful now

thejuice

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 28, 2012, 06:14:15 PM
If a motorist did so and lets say one of his kids got access to the stuff and set the place alight could that Minister be held liable as it was on his advice the motorist acted?

are you seriously asking that question?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

theticklemister

If people panic-bought the oil there would be not enough oil at the pumps to meet the demand!!

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: thejuice on March 28, 2012, 06:28:22 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 28, 2012, 06:14:15 PM
If a motorist did so and lets say one of his kids got access to the stuff and set the place alight could that Minister be held liable as it was on his advice the motorist acted?

are you seriously asking that question?

Yup. I know of a case involving Roads Service (RS) some years ago. Briefly parents went out, kids decided to light fire, kid went out to father's RS lorry and took in a can of petrol that was in the cab, put it on the fire and got badly burned. Parents sued RS because it did not have a policy on safe storage of fuel in lorry cabs. Parents won case as RS could be held partially responsible in the absence of such a policy.

Bottom line is you don't have to be 100% responsible to be sued
Careful now

Lecale2

I'm getting a headache reading some of the crap on here. I think I'll sue you Dougal!

NAG1

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 28, 2012, 08:24:16 PM
The UK minister in question (Francis Maude) seemed to be unaware that in giving "advice" of people to use 20ltr jerry cans to stock up, the most you can legally hold in a building is 2 x 5ltr cans without proper facilities.

I don't think Maude could be made responsible for an incident Dougal described, but what he said was incredibly foolish.

I think the strike in question only affects Britain, oil supplies coming into NI are done differently.

Not quite correct Fionntamhnach

Can store up to 20 litres in either one, 20 ltr Metal jerry can, or the equivalent 2 x 10 litres can and so on.

armaghniac

QuoteYup. I know of a case involving Roads Service (RS) some years ago. Briefly parents went out, kids decided to light fire, kid went out to father's RS lorry and took in a can of petrol that was in the cab, put it on the fire and got badly burned. Parents sued RS because it did not have a policy on safe storage of fuel in lorry cabs. Parents won case as RS could be held partially responsible in the absence of such a policy.

Surely the RS had a policy of locking vehicles, which wasn't followed in this case?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

Where did your Da keep the petrol for the lawnmower?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AQMP

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 29, 2012, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 29, 2012, 09:29:09 AM
The UK minister in question (Francis Maude) seemed to be unaware that in giving "advice" of people to use 20ltr jerry cans to stock up, the most you can legally hold in a building is 2 x 5ltr cans without proper facilities.

I don't think Maude could be made responsible for an incident Dougal described, but what he said was incredibly foolish.

I think the strike in question only affects Britain, oil supplies coming into NI are done differently.

Can store up to 20 litres in either one, 20 ltr Metal jerry can, or the equivalent 2 x 10 litres can and so on.
Yeah, double checked that this morning, 20ltrs in metal jerry cans or 10ltrs in plastic. Still, it's not an entirely safe thing to have in a domestic setting.

Just heard a guy on the radio says it's 10ltr for a Jerrycan ???

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 29, 2012, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on March 29, 2012, 09:29:09 AM

Yeah, double checked that this morning, 20ltrs in metal jerry cans or 10ltrs in plastic. Still, it's not an entirely safe thing to have in a domestic setting.

Jesus don't say that, I've just set the place alight
Careful now

Agent Orange

You couldn't have chosen a more appropriate user name.

Dougal Maguire

I must hand it to you, you have a wide variety of put down lines
Careful now

lawnseed

the south armagh oil industry will go into overdrive if this comes off  ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Agent Orange

Dougal has been panic buying diesel. So far he has 4 pairs of jeans, 8 shirts and 6 bottles of aftershave.