The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Rose was very gracious in defeat. Sergio has always been known as chokio in our house. That will need to change.

Minder

Harrington wasn't exactly over the moon for Sergio !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

Cringeworthy stuff all the fawning over why we should love Harrington for his comments on Sergio blah blah blah. That spat is old news, much like Padraigs current relevance. It's definitely unfortunate how poor he has become.

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on April 10, 2017, 01:59:10 PM
Cringeworthy stuff all the fawning over why we should love Harrington for his comments on Sergio blah blah blah. That spat is old news, much like Padraigs current relevance. It's definitely unfortunate how poor he has become.
I'm a fan of Harry but he pissed me off last night taking credit for Sergio's win because of what happened at the British Open when Harrington won. They went way over the top on the influence of Garcia's woman aswell to the point you'd nearly think it was her making the putts.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

yellowcard

What does the dislike between Harrington and Garcia date back to?

Individually both of them seem like fairly inoffensive and personable people so I don't understand the obvious animosity between them.

Puckoon

Padraig and Jose Maria Olazabal had an issue at the 2003 Seve Trophy, something pretty trivial regarding green repair. If I recall Sergio made a few comments afterwards sticking up for his idol and it started to simmer from there. Add in the 2007 and 2008 major losses to Padraig and Sergio's general "the world is against me" attitude and they just never really got it going. Vastly different people.

highorlow

QuoteWhat does the dislike between Harrington and Garcia date back to?

Years ago. Harrington and Jose Marie had a row in the early noughties over Jose repairing pitch marks. Human nature been what it is Sergio sided with his countryman at the time. Garcia also was pissed off with Harrington over his slow play in the Open.

Harrington is notoriously finickity on rules and the like that, I have heard, stems back to his amateur days.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Orior

Is Sergios current beau a golfer? I remember he had a blonde bird carrying his bag at another event a few years ago. And of course he gave the Swiss tennis player (whatshername) a good rogering too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on April 10, 2017, 05:11:54 PM
Is Sergios current beau a golfer? I remember he had a blonde bird carrying his bag at another event a few years ago. And of course he gave the Swiss tennis player (whatshername) a good rogering too.

She used to work for the Golf Channel

mouview

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 10, 2017, 01:25:30 PM
Quote from: mouview on April 10, 2017, 11:29:56 AM
Expensive defeat for Rose. A Beeb darling, his missed putt on the 72nd probably cost him SPOTY and a possible OBE.
Where's Sky's Bruce Critchley these days? Rumours of Alzheimers? A pity, I miss his spare commentary. Peter Alliss is so gone; his performance on the Beeb preview Wednesday night was embarrassing, even for Hazel Irvine.

Are you Jim Rodgers in disguise??  Mad stuff altogether.

Who is Jim Rodgers? Who was Keyser Soze? KEYSER SOZE?

screenexile

Jesus this Sergio/Harrington row is getting worse at this stage. Why do people keep asking Harrington about it and why does he keep answering? He's making a dick out of himself at this stage all he should say is it's not important Sergio played well and fully deserves his major and that would have been the end of it!

Puckoon

https://m.soundcloud.com/rte2fm/game-on-harrington?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Well at least you can't fault him for being honest.

There's an element of sour grapes here in how he's perceived Sergio's talent level versus how Harrington had to graft for it.

Wants to win two more majors??

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on April 12, 2017, 01:06:45 PM
Jesus this Sergio/Harrington row is getting worse at this stage. Why do people keep asking Harrington about it and why does he keep answering? He's making a dick out of himself at this stage all he should say is it's not important Sergio played well and fully deserves his major and that would have been the end of it!

I would say the exact opposite. He is answering the question as honestly as he can instead of putting on an act for the cameras. God knows we have enough cliche ridden mundane sports stars in the media, Harrington was a breath of fresh air.

Puckoon

There's a time and a place, it could be argued YC.

For a fella who is big on etiquette - he is missing the mark big time on it in this regards. 

stew

Quote from: Puckoon on April 12, 2017, 05:50:17 PM
There's a time and a place, it could be argued YC.

For a fella who is big on etiquette - he is missing the mark big time on it in this regards.

No he is not, well not really,, he is telling it as it is, he is real, that said he should have acknowledged how hard it is to win this tournament and that Garcia was the best player all week, he could say that without being happy for him.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.