Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Quote from: clarshack on October 10, 2017, 11:33:26 PM
Quote from: referee on October 10, 2017, 09:31:51 PM
Although James Darcy didn't stand out on Sunday,he is a talent,but is a couple of years away from Tyrone set up,an all round team effort on Sunday won it for the Tatts,and they'll not fear too many teams in div 2 next year,

The 2 teams that came up from junior have struggled this season in Div2. Are Tattyreagh much better than Rock or the Derg?

I think so yeah. The rock lost mccreesh and castlederg were always going to struggle. I think Tattyreagh and Owen Roes will make a good impression at that level though it's a very difficult division.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: driveherin on October 11, 2017, 08:45:55 AM
rumours that Horse Devlin is for Clonoe?

Rahilly's would have begged Cassidy to return for that swap deal?? :-X

Jeremiah O

I would have thought Sean McCabe would be in contention for the Clonoe job.
Unconquered and unconquerable

Knock Yer Mucker In

This is my first post since we lost to Pomeroy, as a committed Clonoe die hard, it was a particularly hard defeat to take. Pomeroy should have sealed the victory in the first game, we missed a number of decent chances in the first 15 mins of the game, but Pomeroy took over and it was the final ten minutes before we played gain and was chasing the game big time. I felt leaving the game we were able to beat them. The replay, first half was one way traffic, someone said we had 8 wides and 5 dropped to the keeper in the first half, brutal shooting, game should have been in complete control at half time, and essentially managed the second half, but we didn't take our chances, handed Pomeroy a goal when we had the ball and fisted the ball to one of there players , three passes later they scored the goal that set them on their way. They took their chances, we missed so many at chances, no complaints, its all about the score board. I was disappointed they didn't get over Errigal, no disrespects to Errigal .
Word was coming out at the end of last week Cassidy had pulled the plugs. Should he have went earlier, I don't know, should he have stayed longer, don't now either. Has he gone at the right time, don't know that either. Time will tell. This is what I do know, when he arrived at our club, we were in poor shape, we had a decent group of young players, but we have had that in the past before and nothing came of it. We had a serious falling out over the winter and a culling at our AGM. Some players were going to not play because of it, falling out over soccer, but more or less falling out because like every club our personal grievances and pride were more important than anything else, you get the idea. What he did more than anything else was change the culture within our club, a culture of messing about, not preparing well, the team being more important than the individual, getting players to set an example to the young players coming through that was so different to the way it used to be. I have seen the two ends of it over the years, and whilst we maybe could have won more, maybe not, Tyrone is fiercely competitive as we know, the success and as I said more importantly the cultural shift is firmly at his door.

In hiding

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on October 11, 2017, 01:04:03 PM
This is my first post since we lost to Pomeroy, as a committed Clonoe die hard, it was a particularly hard defeat to take. Pomeroy should have sealed the victory in the first game, we missed a number of decent chances in the first 15 mins of the game, but Pomeroy took over and it was the final ten minutes before we played gain and was chasing the game big time. I felt leaving the game we were able to beat them. The replay, first half was one way traffic, someone said we had 8 wides and 5 dropped to the keeper in the first half, brutal shooting, game should have been in complete control at half time, and essentially managed the second half, but we didn't take our chances, handed Pomeroy a goal when we had the ball and fisted the ball to one of there players , three passes later they scored the goal that set them on their way. They took their chances, we missed so many at chances, no complaints, its all about the score board. I was disappointed they didn't get over Errigal, no disrespects to Errigal .
Word was coming out at the end of last week Cassidy had pulled the plugs. Should he have went earlier, I don't know, should he have stayed longer, don't now either. Has he gone at the right time, don't know that either. Time will tell. This is what I do know, when he arrived at our club, we were in poor shape, we had a decent group of young players, but we have had that in the past before and nothing came of it. We had a serious falling out over the winter and a culling at our AGM. Some players were going to not play because of it, falling out over soccer, but more or less falling out because like every club our personal grievances and pride were more important than anything else, you get the idea. What he did more than anything else was change the culture within our club, a culture of messing about, not preparing well, the team being more important than the individual, getting players to set an example to the young players coming through that was so different to the way it used to be. I have seen the two ends of it over the years, and whilst we maybe could have won more, maybe not, Tyrone is fiercely competitive as we know, the success and as I said more importantly the cultural shift is firmly at his door.
Never particularly liked Cassidys behaviour along the line. Always seemed to come across as a bully. He is a winner though and going on your account he has left the club in better shape than when he started. Ultimately that is all you can ask of any manager. I'd imagine most refs won't be sad to see him go though

skeog

Thats a very good appraisal of the last 10 yrs at Clonoe under Damian Cassidy.

an léirmheastóir

Quote from: In hiding on October 11, 2017, 01:23:55 PM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on October 11, 2017, 01:04:03 PM
Never particularly liked Cassidys behaviour along the line. Always seemed to come across as a bully. He is a winner though and going on your account he has left the club in better shape than when he started. Ultimately that is all you can ask of any manager. I'd imagine most refs won't be sad to see him go though

Clonoe won the championship in 2008 do you think they are left in the shape to win it in 2018?

StGallsGAA

Clonoe won the championship in 2008 do you think they are left in the shape to win it in 2018?
It's the silk purse and pigs ear conundrum. Clonoe will grow enough  good players to win 1 championship every 20 years on average.  Neither Cassidy or Paul Daniels could pull any more rabbits out of that hat!
. :-\

vallankumous

Clonoe won the Championship in 08 by a point aet.
They played against 14 men for 50 minutes.
Any other year it would have went to a replay but 08 was a long year for Tyrone.

It was a massive win for them but I doubt they were as good as the record shows. Regardless, they have it in the bag.
A Championship win will always leave a club in a better place, it's just hard to know how much of that particular win should be attributed to Cassidy.

longballin

Clonoe can thank Collie Doris more than Cassidy for their successes, he orchestrated that team.

Onthe40

Well folks, its showpiece weekend, Omagh or Errigal?

(The winners await Kilcoo/Slaughtneill in Ulster 1st round - daunting prospect)

Omagh probably favorites but is there a big performance lurking in this Errigal side?

GetOverTheBar

Think vast majority of us will be expecting an Omagh win here, I actually thought Pomeroy might beat Errigal - didn't see that game unfortunately so I can't comment.

Errigal have come from nowhere really, did anyone expect them in Final? They've nothing to lose....dangerous for Omagh.

Bua

Quote from: square_ball on October 11, 2017, 10:02:46 AM
Quote from: clarshack on October 10, 2017, 11:33:26 PM
Quote from: referee on October 10, 2017, 09:31:51 PM
Although James Darcy didn't stand out on Sunday,he is a talent,but is a couple of years away from Tyrone set up,an all round team effort on Sunday won it for the Tatts,and they'll not fear too many teams in div 2 next year,

The 2 teams that came up from junior have struggled this season in Div2. Are Tattyreagh much better than Rock or the Derg?

I think so yeah. The rock lost mccreesh and castlederg were always going to struggle. I think Tattyreagh and Owen Roes will make a good impression at that level though it's a very difficult division.

James Darcy will be nowhere near Tyrone. Look at the quality forwards in Div 2 that don't get much of a look in. Ronan McHugh twice the player, similar age.