The Covid all Ireland hurling championship 2020/21

Started by seafoid, June 26, 2020, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Limerick and Galway the clear standouts so far

Tipp will have something to say about that tomorrow

Hard to see beyond those three despite Waterford's welcome return to form today

I doubt will Davy stay in Wexford unless they recover to make the All-Ireland final at least, they held the county final in Wexford as far back as August 23rd and it was all for naught

Shane O'Neill looks like a very astute appointment by Galway

imtommygunn

Davy looks to me to be someone with a shortish lifespan so maybe that has expired. He has done well there though.

Yep limerick, tipp and Galway the three to catch so far assuming tipp are what they were.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 31, 2020, 08:47:15 PM
Davy looks to me to be someone with a shortish lifespan so maybe that has expired. He has done well there though.

Yep limerick, tipp and Galway the three to catch so far assuming tipp are what they were.
I wouldn't be putting ourselves up on any pedestal just yet.  Yes, good win this evening but it has to be viewed in the context of the the opposition and Wexford were very poor.  They hardly raised a gallop and their second half performance was abysmal IMO.  KK will be a different animal altogether despite their scare in the earlier game this afternoon.

Milltown Row2

That's horrendous weather!!

Certainly the worst I've see
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

How many steps for Gearoid Hegarty take and get away with?

didlyi

Tipp and Cork beaten in Munster and Kilkenny brought to a point by Dublin. It wasnt long since that would have been seen as a major shakeup in the hurling championship. Times they are a changing.

seafoid

Quote from: didlyi on November 01, 2020, 07:33:50 PM
Tipp and Cork beaten in Munster and Kilkenny brought to a point by Dublin. It wasnt long since that would have been seen as a major shakeup in the hurling championship. Times they are a changing.
KK haven't managed to regain the standards of the glory days. Cork haven't won for 15 years. Tipp may have peaked.

The firm won 1 of the last 3

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2020, 08:00:09 PM
Quote from: didlyi on November 01, 2020, 07:33:50 PM
KK haven't managed to regain the standards of the glory days. Cork haven't won for 15 years. Tipp may have peaked.

The firm won 1 of the last 3

Jaysus, Limerick were impressive in a different way again yesterday, they made less mistakes than Tipp who are known as a great team of stylish hurlers in horrendous conditions and then spring lads from the bench without breaking stride.

They'll take some beating this championship although Galway look better placed than most to do it but seeing that Fintan Burke hurt the shoulder and the other two Burkes might not make the Leinster Final they might do well to get passed Kilkenny who still favour the old punt into TJ Reid and co.

Its between those three IMO although Tipp might regroup in the qualifiers but games week on week could take their toll on those aging legs. Waterford could spring a surprise yet, but not in the Munster final.

Davy is paving his path out of Wexford, Cork, I don't know where to being, they're just meh at the minute and will need a favourable draw of Clare, Laois or Dublin(even that would be tight) to prolong their stay in the championship.

sid waddell

Kilkenny have to be respected based on pedigree alone and they could pull a big performance out of the bag somewhere along the line but ultimately I think they're limited enough and that will be exposed

Tipp can't deal with Limerick at all, that's the second year in a row Limerick have essentially routed them

Tipp got a soft enough All-Ireland last year in truth, they beat Laois, Wexford and Kilkenny in the knockout rounds and didn't have to deal with Limerick or Galway

Wouldn't put it past them to still make the final but it's hard to see them beat Limerick

Dublin play Cork next weekend in the qualifiers - Cork were very bad against Waterford and something appears wrong there - despite losing to Kilkenny on Saturday, Dublin should come out of the game with the firm knowledge that they can play, and they have really good competitive hurling under their belts already

Dublin have never beaten Cork in either my lifetime or my father's lifetime, I think they might beat them this time - it'll be Dublin's third week in a row playing - to reach the All-Ireland final, they'd have to play for six weeks in a row

Back in 2013, Dublin played the best hurling I've ever seen from a Dublin team when playing five weeks in a row

There's a possible path to the semi-finals opening up here I think

If Dublin beat Cork, the next round would be against either Wexford or Tipp

I'd fancy us against Wexford but not Tipp

Then get Waterford in the quarter-finals in week 5, definitely would be winnable

At this stage a Limerick-Galway final looks short odds

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 02, 2020, 09:59:44 AM
Kilkenny have to be respected based on pedigree alone and they could pull a big performance out of the bag somewhere along the line but ultimately I think they're limited enough and that will be exposed

Tipp can't deal with Limerick at all, that's the second year in a row Limerick have essentially routed them

Tipp got a soft enough All-Ireland last year in truth, they beat Laois, Wexford and Kilkenny in the knockout rounds and didn't have to deal with Limerick or Galway

Wouldn't put it past them to still make the final but it's hard to see them beat Limerick

Dublin play Cork next weekend in the qualifiers - Cork were very bad against Waterford and something appears wrong there - despite losing to Kilkenny on Saturday, Dublin should come out of the game with the firm knowledge that they can play, and they have really good competitive hurling under their belts already

Dublin have never beaten Cork in either my lifetime or my father's lifetime, I think they might beat them this time - it'll be Dublin's third week in a row playing - to reach the All-Ireland final, they'd have to play for six weeks in a row

Back in 2013, Dublin played the best hurling I've ever seen from a Dublin team when playing five weeks in a row

There's a possible path to the semi-finals opening up here I think

If Dublin beat Cork, the next round would be against either Wexford or Tipp

I'd fancy us against Wexford but not Tipp

Then get Waterford in the quarter-finals in week 5, definitely would be winnable

At this stage a Limerick-Galway final looks short odds
Tipp haven't won 2 in a row since the 60s. Limerick and Galway seem to be the front runners but it's like a soccer tournament this year over 6 or 7 weeks.
Injuries will be v important. There could be a few surprises.

Ash Smoker

Even though the final last year was Tipp vs Kilkenny, I can't help feeling that Limerick were the best team in the country. They'll take some stopping this year.

johnnycool

The draw has been made;

SHC Qualifier Round 1
Dublin v Cork
Laois v Clare

SHC Qualifier Round 2
Wexford v Round 1 winner
Tipperary v Round 1 winner

Neutral venues I presume, Dublin will fancy a crack at Cork and might just do it.

Clare will be favourites for the other game, but they'll need one of Peter Duggan or John Conlan to have a focal point in their attack as those other nippy forwards need a foil to get going.

Tipp will be happy with the weeks break and so will wee Davy.

imtommygunn

Dublin Cork should be interesting.

I still think Cork, or moreso Horgan, will maybe put Dublin away but it would be good to see the likes of Dublin push on through a bit.

Clare must be very frustrating to support. They have huge talent in there but they just haven't seemed to get it together for a good number of years. In saying that they should have too much for Laois. If they were to beat Laois and got Wexford they could maybe get through round 2 as well. (Likewise dublin cork winners unless there is a big improvement in Wexford).

I wouldn't expect any of the round 1 winners to beat Tipp though didn't see their game yesterday so I'm less sure what they're made of this year.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on November 02, 2020, 01:01:03 PM
The draw has been made;

SHC Qualifier Round 1
Dublin v Cork
Laois v Clare

SHC Qualifier Round 2
Wexford v Round 1 winner
Tipperary v Round 1 winner

Neutral venues I presume, Dublin will fancy a crack at Cork and might just do it.

Clare will be favourites for the other game, but they'll need one of Peter Duggan or John Conlan to have a focal point in their attack as those other nippy forwards need a foil to get going.

Tipp will be happy with the weeks break and so will wee Davy.
The Dubs are missing natural forwards.
Great to see Laois in the mix. Would love to see Antrim playing at this level.