American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Ball Hopper on December 17, 2019, 06:10:47 AM
On Monday Night Football this week, 40-year old Drew Brees passed Peyton Manning in the NFL all-time touchdown passes list (540 to 539).  Mind you, Tom Brady lurking at 538.

In the same game Brees also broke the single-game passing % completion rate, completing 29 of 30 passes (96.7%).   The old record was Philip Rivers getting 28 of 29 (96.6%).  The NFL round to the first decimal place by the way.

He has actually improved over the season, with the injury having an impact I suppose. He needs another ring before retirement.

Capt Pat

The vikings locked up the last wildcard spot in the NFC last night, with a 49ers victory over the rams. The vikings still have a slim chance of winning the nfc north if they win their last 2 over the Packers and bears and the packers lose to Detroit.

The Patriots won the afc east with a victory over the bills.

gallsman

That surely finally has to be the end of Jason Garrett in Dallas. For that offense to finish 8-8, at best, is an absolute embarrassment.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 22, 2019, 11:16:13 AM
The vikings locked up the last wildcard spot in the NFC last night, with a 49ers victory over the rams. The vikings still have a slim chance of winning the nfc north if they win their last 2 over the Packers and bears and the packers lose to Detroit.

The Patriots won the afc east with a victory over the bills.

Pats/Bills was a good game. Patriots were a little better than they have been recently and it was just about enough.

cadhlancian

That's the best the Patriots have looked from probably week 3 . Finally able to run the ball a bit , they're getting better, no one will want to go in there to play them . Still can't see them beating the Ravens on the road. Kansas City are much improved defensively, and think will give the Ravens all they want should they meet on the playoffs . Steelers are in trouble , the Ravens are sitting most of their starters . The Titans should beat the Texans who are already in .
The NFC will be tough . Seattle in big trouble , stuffed at home to the Cardinals on Sunday , all three RBs on IR . Signed Marshawn Lynch today !!  Niners also banged up , but getting healthier. The Packers are limited I think outside it Davante Adams and the Vikings looked very one dimensional without Darvin Cook.
The Saints for me are probably the best team in the NFC at the moment .
1) Ravens
2)Saints
3 Niners
4) Chiefs
5) Patriots
6) Packers
7) Vikings
8) seahawks
9) Houston
10) Buffalo
11) Titans
12) Eagles

gallsman

More than 9 mins left in the second quarter of the Peach Bowl. Burrow has thrown 5 TDs.

And he gets to be a Bengal.

gallsman

403 yards and 7TDs in the first half.

Oraisteach

And he never got a start at Ohio State. Bet he'd love a crack at the Buckeyes.

cadhlancian

Patriots shit the bed yesterday, wouldn't be surprised if the Titans beat them in Foxboro on Saturday . Niners and Seattle was some finish . Great game . Pat Shurmur and Freddie both gone as expected , Jason Garrett will be gone as well most likely .
I can see Brady walking this year , he should retire . He won't though. Belichick and Kraft didn't do enough to help him, that's a fact.  Brady is taking less money for what ? To play with undrafted rookies...Could see him and McDaniels both going to the Chargers should Anthony Lynn get roaded, which he should. Rumors of McDaniels to the Browns , he'd be crazy to go near Baker and the drama at that club.

Solo_run

Does anyone know roughly when the Ice Hockey season starts? Going to be over in America and want to go to a game - never got the chance last time I was over.

screenexile

Quote from: Solo_run on January 03, 2020, 10:45:13 AM
Does anyone know roughly when the Ice Hockey season starts? Going to be over in America and want to go to a game - never got the chance last time I was over.

Regular Season is from October to April then playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals May/June.

Solo_run

Quote from: screenexile on January 03, 2020, 11:02:12 AM

Regular Season is from October to April then playoffs and Stanley Cup Finals May/June.

Thanks SC - I take it the baseball is over by then?

Capt Pat

I was at an LA Kings v New York Rangers hockey game in LA at the start of December. It is a good show but tickets are expensive enough.

Solo_run

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 03, 2020, 02:15:57 PM
I was at an LA Kings v New York Rangers hockey game in LA at the start of December. It is a good show but tickets are expensive enough.

They are quite expensive but I think there is value for money in it having gone to some games in Coventry and Belfast. I had tickets to Maple Leafs vs Penguins a few years ago on holiday with the then girlfriend, she fell ill and missed it.

Not missing a game this time though. Planning my trip over around an Ice Hockey game and Basketball. Shame there is no MLB games on in October.

screenexile

Quote from: Solo_run on January 03, 2020, 12:51:08 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 03, 2020, 11:02:12 AM

Thanks SC - I take it the baseball is over by then?

No baseball should be in full swing anytime I've been in Toronto April/May there's only ever baseball on as the Stanley Cup and NBA have been in playoff mode without Toronto there!!

Just checked and baseball season begins in March... it's shite though!