Tom Humphries

Started by bottlethrower7, January 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

2 and a half years seems very lenient. Judge said "its hard not to  feel sorry for him"  :o

Orchard park

its appalling,

the garlic importer got 6 years for what was whitecollar relatively victimless crime

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: seafoid on October 24, 2017, 01:39:52 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/tom-humphries-acclaimed-sports-writer-with-controversial-views-1.3267087

Am I alone in thinking this reads like a eulogy of someone convicted of grooming a child? Humphries' mates in the media can't see the woods for the trees in regards to him.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

easytiger95

Apparently the judge took into account his "high profile", implying that the fall from such a position could be considered part of his punishment (I wonder how does that work for a car thief with drug problems?).

Also took into account references from Walsh and Cusack and from his family.

Shameful really, he is serving two sentences concurrently, they should be consecutive.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 24, 2017, 03:06:15 PM
Apparently the judge took into account his "high profile", implying that the fall from such a position could be considered part of his punishment (I wonder how does that work for a car thief with drug problems?).

Shameful really, he is serving two sentences concurrently, they should be consecutive.
He came from a respectable family
That counts for a lot under the system. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Declan

QuoteHe came from a respectable family

all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on October 24, 2017, 03:09:51 PM

Also, he had a difficult upbringing works well too.

The sentence is similar to what others like him have been given. If the victim was younger, for example, it would have been more severe.
It should hopefully open up a debate about what are the appropriate sanctions for these crimes.

I'd expect him to shunned for the rest of his days by any community he lives in here in Ireland.
It wouldn't surprise me if he emigrated.

GalwayBayBoy

Some of the illustrious contributors to the Irish Times went after George Hook in the media like a pack of wild dogs a few weeks ago. They've been noticeably quiet about Humphries. Until today that is when they print an article basically saying what a great talented chap he was with a brief mention at the end about some trouble with the Guards.

Actually beggars belief.

GaillimhIarthair

2.5 years is an unbelievably lenient sentence!  With remission he could be free by the end of 2019!!  How in the hell are sentences established for crimes like this?  He probably spent a longer period of time grooming his victim! Its absolutely shocking.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 24, 2017, 03:25:09 PM

The sentence is similar to what others like him have been given. If the victim was younger, for example, it would have been more severe.
It should hopefully open up a debate about what are the appropriate sanctions for these crimes.

I'd expect him to shunned for the rest of his days by any community he lives in here in Ireland.

He may run but he can't hide. He will be limited to where he is able to go and this will follow him everywhere. He'll never work in journalism again

screenexile

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 24, 2017, 04:53:56 PM

He may run but he can't hide. He will be limited to where he is able to go and this will follow him everywhere. He'll never work in journalism again

Disgusting case and not close to being long enough a sentence!

If he emigrates could he not work for a newspaper under a pseudonym?

sid waddell

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 24, 2017, 03:39:18 PM
Some of the illustrious contributors to the Irish Times went after George Hook in the media like a pack of wild dogs a few weeks ago. They've been noticeably quiet about Humphries. Until today that is when they print an article basically saying what a great talented chap he was with a brief mention at the end about some trouble with the Guards.

Actually beggars belief.

Hook deserved everything written about him for disgraceful comments made in his professional capacity. He was not on trial, he was free to say what he said and people are free to write what they want about him.

Humphries was on trial and then awaiting sentencing. Strange that you're up in arms about the lack of opinion articles which could have potentially influenced the outcome of both.

Declan

I see the second captains lads have a podcast out discussing the outcome and the character references etc

seafoid

I 'd say he will.emigrate. He will be hounded by the Sunday World when he is released anyway. He is in the pantheon  of great Irish criminals and sleaze bags now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU