Dispatches/Panorama Horsemeat Expose

Started by Boghopper, February 18, 2013, 11:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boghopper

This turned me this evening even though I would never eat processed meat products. The meat bought undercover wouldn't even be fit for dog food.  A few individuals in this country it would seem were/are making a lot of money exporting horses not fit for human consumption to England for slaughter. No doubt this is only the tip of the iceberg!

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

JUst retired

Nothing wrong with it,the wife is getting good at the jumps now.Any point to point races I could enter her in? :)

An Gaeilgoir

My father recently became a Bord Bia approved Farmer, Bord Bia arrived for a farm inspection, found that everything was fine, except he did not have a Health and Safety Notice at the farm gate....... Three times our Bord Bia inspectors came to see the sign (one did not know the other had visited) ::). As usual the farmer gets hammered with paperwork and regulation, while the meat factories with all the vets on 500 euros a day, been paid by the Govt. can process whatever they want............whilst keeping farm prices low and creaming off massive profits. Ireland the best meat producers in the world, my hole.

trileacman

For the lads making all the jokes, if you knew the health implications of eating drug cotaminated horse meat you wouldn't find it so funny. Phenylbutazone is the major pain killer and corticosteroid used in the horse industry, it is banned among food producing animals because its side effects in humans include aplastic anaemia where your body stops producing blood cells and wasting of many of of the body's tissues. It's half life in the horse is extremely long.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Ulick

FFS why is everyone acting so surprised? It's not as though we didn't know the likes of Larry Goodman has been at this for decades. Remember his canned beef to the middle east in the 80s & 90s was unfit for use even as pet food. What, you thought he wouldn't pull similar stunt in Europe? The man who along with Charlie Haughey almost bankrupted the country.  ::)

armaghniac

The only "good" thing about this is that the testing regime will now be "beefed up". With modern technology many of these tricks can be more easily detected.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Ulick on February 19, 2013, 12:40:43 PM
FFS why is everyone acting so surprised? It's not as though we didn't know the likes of Larry Goodman has been at this for decades. Remember his canned beef to the middle east in the 80s & 90s was unfit for use even as pet food. What, you thought he wouldn't pull similar stunt in Europe? The man who along with Charlie Haughey almost bankrupted the country.  ::)

This isn't just a Goodman scam, although it did seem that way when the story first broke. This seems to be a Europe wide problem, the real problem seems to be that they will all get away with it as they can easily pass the buck. In my opinion they knew exactly what they were buying.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Canalman

Haughey can be accused of alot of things but "almost bankrupting the country" is  imvho not one of them. Never heard that thrown at him before.

To get back to the original point we here in Ireland got a lucky escape here in that it is a Europe problem now and not one to be pinned on us alone.

Boghopper

It's no real shock but as Trileacman has pointed out there are real health dangers from consuming contaminated meat. It'll be interesting to see who the gangsters in this country are that have been involved.

LeoMc

Quote from: Boghopper on February 19, 2013, 01:36:18 PM
It's no real shock but as Trileacman has pointed out there are real health dangers from consuming contaminated meat. It'll be interesting to see who the gangsters in this country are that have been involved.

It is quite scary to think that Wullie might have been on the ball with this one.

seafoid

I don't see why regulation can't be strengthened in this area.
As Tesco are fond of saying, "every little helps" 

Ulick

Quote from: Canalman on February 19, 2013, 01:10:45 PM

Haughey can be accused of alot of things but "almost bankrupting the country" is  imvho not one of them. Never heard that thrown at him before.

It was Haughey who underwrote Goodmans deal with the Iraqis. When it went tits up, the Irish taxpayer picked up the bill for £400 million. Then there was the beef factory in Roscommon which mysteriously burned down in the early 90s just as Beef Tribunal and EEC investigators where about to go into it. The Irish government then had to give the EU £35million in compensation because Fianna Fáil government of the day didn't disclose they knew all about the shannigans in the factory. Cowboys the lot of them...

Hardy