Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulsterman09

Great to have football back in east down for once. I would say Newcastle would be a worthy place for a second county ground although the surface is not too great. Not a great game by any stretch of the imagination, lot of handling errors, bad decisions taken etc by both sides. Davison looked very good and was my  Motm. I have been an avid follower of down right throughout the years and the biggest fan our counties club football, but i can not understand why the best players are not being picked. Same old same old small similar players we always have. Doesn't say a lot when we have around 3/4 of last years championship team out and we are struggling to beat a poor queens outfit.

whitegoodman

Aside from Martin Clarke who are the best players not being picked who have made themselves available?

I'm no fan of the current management setup but not sure if there many glaring omissions from the squad.

Smurfy123

Looks like they are all on the squad
4 kilcoo lads to come back into the starting team along with Donal O Hare,Kevin McKernan,Madine and Mark Poland for the Fermanagh game?

Anyone else to come in for that game that would likely start?

Mourne Rover

No one would expect too much from a McKenna Cup opener against a college side and it was a pretty flat display from Down against limited opposition. Magee took a couple of decent long range points, which got him the man of the match award, and he certainly has the size and strength required, but it remains to be seen if he has the pace for this level. Davidson was probably the best player on the pitch, looking sharp and fast throughout, although he will need to be tested against better defences. The rest of our forward line was ordinary, and Murphy only lasted just over ten minutes before he got another black card.

Flynn and Carr worked hard at midfield without really dominating, while our defence was reasonable, apart from Mooney, who made no impact. Cunningham's kick outs were mixed but he made a brilliant save late on to prevent Queen's going in front.

For Queen's, Clarke produced the odd nice touch but sadly it appears unlikely that his fitness will allow a return to county football. McKeever has plenty of potential, and tucked away a fine goal, while Francis was probably the pick of the rest of the Down students.

We can hopefully expect an improvement against Derry next week, when a win would actually take us close to a semi final place for the first time in several years.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 08, 2017, 08:06:23 PM
No one would expect too much from a McKenna Cup opener against a college side and it was a pretty flat display from Down against limited opposition. Magee took a couple of decent long range points, which got him the man of the match award, and he certainly has the size and strength required, but it remains to be seen if he has the pace for this level. Davidson was probably the best player on the pitch, looking sharp and fast throughout, although he will need to be tested against better defences. The rest of our forward line was ordinary, and Murphy only lasted just over ten minutes before he got another black card.

Flynn and Carr worked hard at midfield without really dominating, while our defence was reasonable, apart from Mooney, who made no impact. Cunningham's kick outs were mixed but he made a brilliant save late on to prevent Queen's going in front.

For Queen's, Clarke produced the odd nice touch but sadly it appears unlikely that his fitness will allow a return to county football. McKeever has plenty of potential, and tucked away a fine goal, while Francis was probably the pick of the rest of the Down students.

We can hopefully expect an improvement against Derry next week, when a win would actually take us close to a semi final place for the first time in several years.

Was it not Warrenpoint's Gary McMahon in nets that made the save?
Nice to get the win with what was largely an experimental side and formation.
Ryan McAleenan, Shay Millar, Cathal Magee, Barry O'Hagan and Alan Davidson all acquitted themselves well.
For me, Barry O'Hagan is going to become the focal point for our attack in the league. A fine footballer.

Cb66

Wasn't a great spectacle but have to take it into context that it was our first 'competitive' game of the year and it's early January. Davidson and Magee both did well and took their chance. Barry O'Hagen also looked sharp. Also though McAleenan had a decent game at corner back. McKeever looked good for Queens but none of their other Down players stood out. Decent win to build on before the league.

SamFever

Quote from: thewobbler on January 08, 2017, 03:25:12 PM
Quote from: John Martin on January 08, 2017, 03:22:48 PM
Downpatrick was a terrible choice of venue for a January game.

Grass banks and and exposed location.

County board will no doubt say they have fulfil a certain number of fixtures in their nominated second ground. Sorry lads, find another second ground if it's for winter fixtures.
Sure why don't we have the 2nd ground up the hill in Ballyholland? Haven't been to Downpatrick since we played them a few years ago in the League but it's January and I thought the
ground,the parking,etc were grand except some got their feet wet. OMG.

Mourne Rover

Down Fanatic is correct, as Cunningham was named to start but McMahon obviously must have replaced him at a late stage. Barry O'Hagan had a pretty frustrating day as he used his pace to win every ball sent towards him but could not find any space in possession. Savage struggled even more noticeably, although both of them should improve on firmer pitches.

Mourne Red

Any word on when the league starts?? Hearing mumblings of 24th March

Ulsterman09

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 08, 2017, 06:06:28 PM
4 kilcoo lads to come back into the starting team along with Donal O Hare,Kevin McKernan,Madine and Mark Poland for the Fermanagh game?

I would like to think the likes of Conor Poland, Niall McParland, Michael Ireland, Daniel Morgan, Robbie White would all be worth there go on the county Panel, especially with these players size and relatively all good footballers. Probably a good way of identifing the best talent, go though every div 1-2 clubs best 3 players (who aren't on the county already/retired from it and see what names pop up

wobbller

Quote from: Ulsterman09 on January 09, 2017, 08:48:20 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 08, 2017, 06:06:28 PM

I would like to think the likes of Conor Poland, Niall McParland, Michael Ireland, Daniel Morgan, Robbie White would all be worth there go on the county Panel, especially with these players size and relatively all good footballers. Probably a good way of identifing the best talent, go though every div 1-2 clubs best 3 players (who aren't on the county already/retired from it and see what names pop up
"Names pop up"?? We're into January and the season is up and running with Trials all finished.Catch a grip.

elk

And who decides who the three best players are?

SamFever

I am fed up reading tripe from Benny Coulter.Bad enough weekly in the Democrat but he now seeems to be in the Irish News a lot saying what Down needs.    Down really needs him to walk away and let the current players at it without his frequent words of wisdom.

Brick Tamlin

I enjoyed his recent interview with Kevin Cassidy before Christmas in The Gaelic Life.
Insightful and thought-provoking to say the least.

SamFever

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on January 12, 2017, 08:35:41 AM
I enjoyed his recent interview with Kevin Cassidy before Christmas in The Gaelic Life.
Insightful and thought-provoking to say the least.
maybe an exception alright.