Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

I was in Strasbourg a couple of years ago. Contacted Anderson, Nicholson & Dodds about seeing the parliament - number of responses = zilch. Needless to say I won't be arsed going out tomorrow, if that's their attitude.

trailer

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on May 22, 2019, 01:46:50 PM
I was in Strasbourg a couple of years ago. Contacted Anderson, Nicholson & Dodds about seeing the parliament - number of responses = zilch. Needless to say I won't be arsed going out tomorrow, if that's their attitude.

I honestly didn't know they were tour guides as well.

smelmoth

Quote from: trailer on May 22, 2019, 12:51:46 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 22, 2019, 12:14:44 PM
Given that an MEP will do zero to advance the case of Nationalism or Unionism does anyone want to make the case why there 1st preference will be the top performer in the role if elected?

SDLP are part of PES who have been vocal on a range of issues but importantly, migrant issues and workers rights. They also fully believe in the European project.
Others sit with Marxists and Communists. That's for them to explain.

All accepted and Colum could hold his own. Don't think he is in Long's league plus Alliance's group whilst smaller is the power broker in the current parliament under Verhofstadt (that could change) and the Uk representation of that group is likely to increase with the remain vote going to Lib Dems. We need our voice inside that group

Tony Baloney

Jim only has time to clock in before nipping back to the airport.

APM

If you do not feel that you are being properly represented you should vote for an alternative. The answer is never to opt out. This election will be interpreted as an endorsement or rejection of the referendum result.  Therefore, if you favour remain, you should vote for remain candidates who you can support.  There is a lot wrong with Europe, including the performance of elected representatives, but has there been a more important EU election here?  Since the referendum we have been represented 2 to 1 by Brexit supporting MEPs. Representation in Westminster for the north has been 10 to 1 for Brexit.  Neither situation reflects the views of the people as expressed in the Brexit referendum.  A vote for two Brexit supporting MEPs tomorrow will be seen as an endorsement of the leave vote and will be interpreted as a majority in NI for leave (however wrongly) and used accordingly.

GJL

Quote from: trailer on May 22, 2019, 12:45:43 PM
Quote from: GJL on May 22, 2019, 12:10:15 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 22, 2019, 11:09:53 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2019, 10:54:19 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 22, 2019, 10:08:17 AM
When you vote Tomorrow in the North there is only 1 Pro European Nationalist candidate on the ballot. Always was Pro European and always campaigned positively for Europe. And most importantly campaigned for a Remain vote in the Brexit referendum. Only 1 on the ballot. If you're a pro European Nationalist then Colum Eastwood should get your 1st preference.

It's only in recent years the SDLP have started playing the nationalist card and that will stick in the craw for some of us.

They'll still get on my ballot paper, but they've a bit of work to do to build on those nationalist credentials a bit more yet.

Far too quick to lie down to big house Unionism in the past.
Too insignificant in recent years to matter.

When was this? At the birth of the Civil rights? When they campaigned for equality and the right to vote long before it became trendy? When they reached out to the IRA and convinced it's leadership of the benefits of a ceasefire or maybe when they helped to bring an end to 30 years of violence when they negotiated the GFA?

They're the only Nationalist Party on the Ballot who have been consistent in their Pro-European credentials. They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.

Seamus Mallon last week:

''I have come increasingly to the view that the Good Friday Agreement measurement of a bare majority (effectively 50%+1) for unity will not give us the kind of agreed and peaceful Ireland we seek.''

This is the GFA that he helped write...

Yes and SF signed up to it! If you think 50+1 will give us a peaceful United Ireland then you are delusional. Mallon is correct.

I'm not disputing that. I am however calling bullsh1t on your claim that..

''They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.''

Mallon has clearly changed his view in this instance.

smelmoth

Quote from: GJL on May 22, 2019, 02:29:34 PM
When you vote Tomorrow in the North there is only 1 Pro European Nationalist candidate on the ballot. Always was Pro European and always campaigned positively for Europe. And most importantly campaigned for a Remain vote in the Brexit referendum. Only 1 on the ballot. If you're a pro European Nationalist then Colum Eastwood should get your 1st preference.

It's only in recent years the SDLP have started playing the nationalist card and that will stick in the craw for some of us.

They'll still get on my ballot paper, but they've a bit of work to do to build on those nationalist credentials a bit more yet.

When was this? At the birth of the Civil rights? When they campaigned for equality and the right to vote long before it became trendy? When they reached out to the IRA and convinced it's leadership of the benefits of a ceasefire or maybe when they helped to bring an end to 30 years of violence when they negotiated the GFA?

They're the only Nationalist Party on the Ballot who have been consistent in their Pro-European credentials. They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.

Seamus Mallon last week:

''I have come increasingly to the view that the Good Friday Agreement measurement of a bare majority (effectively 50%+1) for unity will not give us the kind of agreed and peaceful Ireland we seek.''

Yes and SF signed up to it! If you think 50+1 will give us a peaceful United Ireland then you are delusional. Mallon is correct.

I always thought that 50%+1 wouldn't be a smooth transition. I am increasingly of that view. Have I clearly changed my mind?

Your example is shockingly poorly thought out

currychip

Quote from: smelmoth on May 22, 2019, 01:53:08 PM
Given that an MEP will do zero to advance the case of Nationalism or Unionism does anyone want to make the case why there 1st preference will be the top performer in the role if elected?

SDLP are part of PES who have been vocal on a range of issues but importantly, migrant issues and workers rights. They also fully believe in the European project.

All accepted and Colum could hold his own. Don't think he is in Long's league plus Alliance's group whilst smaller is the power broker in the current parliament under Verhofstadt (that could change) and the Uk representation of that group is likely to increase with the remain vote going to Lib Dems. We need our voice inside that group

You "Don't think he is in Long's league".  Wha?  I would be interested to hear what you might say to support that.  Both articulate their party position in engaging ways, with Long for me maybe being a bit preachy. 

GJL

Quote from: smelmoth on May 22, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Seamus Mallon last week:

I always thought that 50%+1 wouldn't be a smooth transition. I am increasingly of that view. Have I clearly changed my mind?

I could be wrong but I assume you did not help write the GFA?

marty34

Seamus Mallon last week:

Mallon wants a few soundbites...must have a book coming out...ohhh wait!

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2019, 06:36:04 PM

Seamus Mallon last week:

Mallon wants a few soundbites...must have a book coming out...ohhh wait!

Man promoting interview says something interesting and journalist quotes him. Shock

Keepers there are candidates in today's elections that have done things a lot more shocking than that

smelmoth

Quote from: GJL on May 22, 2019, 04:13:12 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 22, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Seamus Mallon last week:

I could be wrong but I assume you did not help write the GFA?

You are 100% correct. I didn't help write GFA

There is the same evidence that Mallon and I have changed our mind. And it is ok to change your mind. Only a dogmatic idiot would refuse to change their mind if the evidence changed or emerged more clearly

smelmoth

Quote from: currychip on May 22, 2019, 03:57:38 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 22, 2019, 01:53:08 PM

You "Don't think he is in Long's league".  Wha?  I would be interested to hear what you might say to support that.  Both articulate their party position in engaging ways, with Long for me maybe being a bit preachy.

In debate I would consider Long superior. Whilst ultimately that is subjective I would consider in the round, her calmness, articulacy and ability to react intelligently to live events.
In instinct I would judge her more politically savvy. She is managing an upward trajectory. Colin isn't flying. At best he is falling with style. His failure to grasp Mike TV's initiative, the Fianna Fáil fudgy thing, the failure to grasp the electoral importance of Hanna and the lack of clear positions on some key areas can all be cited.
In resilience I would judge Long to be superior. The shinners are gunning (in the metaphorical sense) for Colum and they don't give him an easy ride. This is nothing compared to what Long personally and Alliance generally have to withstand from PUL intelligentsia

Anyway  I would be interested to hear what you might say to support your claim that Long is preachy?

general_lee