Spillane article

Started by TheGreatest, January 13, 2020, 11:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGreatest

Re: The paid manager part of it.

Dublin have paid employees (Before you all start)

However a bit different here, i mentioned a current manager was getting 50/60 a year at a certain county and got lambasted.

Genuine question,  any ideas who this is. Football, no Championship silverware (implying maybe a league :)
My own opinion its Mayo or Tyrone, look to managers with no job and maybe one that has held on to it for too long.
Is it on the books and paying tax on  it?

Spillane in the Indo: 

A bigger issue is that even in counties where the manager is not getting paid, he has assembled a very expensive back-room team, so the county board doesn't save anything. By the way, this time last year I revealed that one football manager was being paid €100,000.
So how did he get on?
Well, his team didn't win any championship silverware.
But he's back at the helm in 2020 with presumably the same package.
The take-home message from all the reaction I received last weekend was that somebody needs to cry halt.
Maybe the next GAA president, who will be elected in a couple of months, might be the man to save us all.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-the-tipp-football-team-had-a-busier-festive-period-than-liverpool-their-schedule-was-ridiculous-38854931.html

Angelo

Quote from: TheGreatest on January 13, 2020, 11:29:29 AM
Re: The paid manager part of it.

Dublin have paid employees (Before you all start)

However a bit different here, i mentioned a current manager was getting 50/60 a year at a certain county and got lambasted.

Genuine question,  any ideas who this is. Football, no Championship silverware (implying maybe a league :)
My own opinion its Mayo or Tyrone, look to managers with no job and maybe one that has held on to it for too long.
Is it on the books and paying tax on  it?

Spillane in the Indo: 

A bigger issue is that even in counties where the manager is not getting paid, he has assembled a very expensive back-room team, so the county board doesn't save anything. By the way, this time last year I revealed that one football manager was being paid €100,000.
So how did he get on?
Well, his team didn't win any championship silverware.
But he's back at the helm in 2020 with presumably the same package.
The take-home message from all the reaction I received last weekend was that somebody needs to cry halt.
Maybe the next GAA president, who will be elected in a couple of months, might be the man to save us all.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/pat-spillane-the-tipp-football-team-had-a-busier-festive-period-than-liverpool-their-schedule-was-ridiculous-38854931.html

Can't be an O6 county if its €.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

12. I reckon 13 inter-county football managers are getting paid at the moment – which is a relatively low figure.

Personally would have thought it was closer to at least double that.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 13, 2020, 11:49:27 AM
12. I reckon 13 inter-county football managers are getting paid at the moment – which is a relatively low figure.

How would Pat Spillane know this? Given the majority of club managers are getting paid these days (at least in Tyrone) i'd have assumed 90+% of county managers would be also

thewobbler

Spillane does roughly the same levels of research for his articles, as a bull does into its mating partners.

He has been stealing a living for 25 years, and that his opinions are considered still relevant is a blemish on Irish society.

LooseCannon

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 13, 2020, 12:43:49 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 13, 2020, 11:49:27 AM

How would Pat Spillane know this? Given the majority of club managers are getting paid these days (at least in Tyrone) i'd have assumed 90+% of county managers would be also

I reckon that the number of mangers not being paid in Offaly is definitely in single digits, across both codes. I'd nearly say that you could count them on one hand.

mup

Anyone that thinks that some county managers are not getting paid are living in cloud cuckoo land. We even an individual on here who was adamant that their county manager was doing it for nothing.

Rossfan

And probably around 2,000 Senior Club managers between football and hurling earning from €10k upwards.
A Club in Roscommon giving a lad €170 per session for a 30km round trip.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: thewobbler on January 13, 2020, 12:48:42 PM
Spillane does roughly the same levels of research for his articles, as a bull does into its mating partners.

He has been stealing a living for 25 years, and that his opinions are considered still relevant is a blemish on Irish society.

Spillane is like the Larry Gogan of GAA punditry. Larry played records, there was no real research or insight. He relied on sound bites. In Larry's case this was ok. He was a humble soul, knew the score and was professional at what he did. Spillane on the other hand has a high opinion of himself and sees himself as some sort deep thinker.

tonto1888

I wonder if he is talking about McGeeney? The question is how would he know regardless of who he is talking about? I'm fairly sure I know the answer to that one

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 13, 2020, 08:06:48 PM
I wonder if he is talking about McGeeney? The question is how would he know regardless of who he is talking about? I'm fairly sure I know the answer to that one

I'd offer to do something extremely stupid if McGeeney is on 100k. Absolutely no chance in my opinon.

screenexile

Is the myth of Harte not getting paid gone now then??

I'd imagine Gavin didn't get paid or refused to take expenses or whatever he seems like that sort.

tonto1888

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 13, 2020, 09:02:55 PM

I'd offer to do something extremely stupid if McGeeney is on 100k. Absolutely no chance in my opinon.

Depending who you listen to he is on anything between £50k and £80k. Not that I necessarily believe that

From the Bunker

Probably Horan!

Angelo

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2020, 09:32:12 PM
Is the myth of Harte not getting paid gone now then??

I'd imagine Gavin didn't get paid or refused to take expenses or whatever he seems like that sort.

Another Derryman unleashing his subjective bias on us.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL