National Hurling Legue 1B 2018

Started by redsetanta, October 13, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zooming around

Very good showing last night. Our naive nature in front of both goals is killing us. We're missing great goal chances and coughing up silly goals. Overall though the application and endeavor was outstanding.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Zooming around on February 04, 2018, 08:04:23 PM
Very good showing last night. Our naive nature in front of both goals is killing us. We're missing great goal chances and coughing up silly goals. Overall though the application and endeavor was outstanding.

Yes I agree great game plan and super work rate.

In front of goal we seem to take the wrong option when goals are there for the taken...

A lot of positives to be taken from a heart warming performance on a cold cold night in O'Moores Park
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tobias

Good to see Cha and Sean Downey performing well for Carlow IT and Mark Kav returning for LIT. I think its just the long term injuries now Picky, Cahir and Dwane. I think PJ Scully will come into contention in the next couple of weeks.
Theres no mention of Paddy Whelan, Aaron Dunphy or Ciaran Collier so im assuming they are not involved. Hopefully we can stay relatively injury free for a while at least.

hurlingmad

Quote from: Tobias on February 08, 2018, 03:41:20 AM
Good to see Cha and Sean Downey performing well for Carlow IT and Mark Kav returning for LIT. I think its just the long term injuries now Picky, Cahir and Dwane. I think PJ Scully will come into contention in the next couple of weeks.
Theres no mention of Paddy Whelan, Aaron Dunphy or Ciaran Collier so im assuming they are not involved. Hopefully we can stay relatively injury free for a while at least.

Been told Conor Quinlan is training with the squad now, best of luck to him, picky will be a great addition, mccane getting a lot of chances too, if..if we can beat Antrim and maybe Dublin it puts us in a good situation as points difference with Offaly just may be inferior

Unlaoised

Quote from: hurlingmad on February 08, 2018, 10:59:04 PM
Quote from: Tobias on February 08, 2018, 03:41:20 AM

Been told Conor Quinlan is training with the squad now, best of luck to him, picky will be a great addition, mccane getting a lot of chances too, if..if we can beat Antrim and maybe Dublin it puts us in a good situation as points difference with Offaly just may be inferior

Dublin will only get stronger as it goes on so that will be a big ask.... and antrim seem to be flying it!

Still all to play for not shipping two big beatings is a major plus and must give the squad confidence
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Antrim do seem to be playing very well at the moment and if we can get the win we'll head to Tullamore on the same points as Offaly because I can't see them beating Galway next weekend. Our score difference is far batter this year than it was after heavy defeats to Limerick and Galway last year. Offaly have a good scoring difference on the back of their big win over Dublin.
There's been nothing between us and Offaly over the past few years so it should be 50/50. Dublin on the other hand have done us and I wouldn't want to be relying on a win there.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Will Cha be playing for CarlowIT today? If so I hope he's available for Saturday against Antrim.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on February 13, 2018, 10:41:08 AM
Will Cha be playing for CarlowIT today? If so I hope he's available for Saturday against Antrim.

Anyone at the match or have a good report. Cha scored a point and Downey was subbed according to the mainstream media reports.

redsetanta

Very important game tomorrow evening and no chat about it.

Antrim seem to have got their act together this year so will be formidable opponents. For our own progression a win is vitally important I feel particularly with the trip to Tullamore next week.

I assume Cha is fine to play as he's a real leader for this team. If they show the same agression and application as the Galway game they have every chance of getting the vital 2 points.

Lets hope it's a win and an injury free encounter.

Great crowd the last day in O'Moore Park albeit a good porportion from Galway. Hopefully the Laois supporters come out tomorrow and give these lads a boost. It would also be great if we had a goal or two to shout about!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on February 16, 2018, 12:50:10 PM
Very important game tomorrow evening and no chat about it.

Completely agree about the importance to the confidence of the team. Antrim surely see this as a chance to get points too so should be a great game. No idea who is available or not. Recent experience has typically been that lads who play Fitzgibbon mid week haven't been too hot come the inter county games. Would imagine a very similar team picked too the last 2 days out maybe with Cha and Mark Kavanagh in the reckoning.

burdizzo

Strange times - no one from Camross, Castletown, Portlaoise, or The Harps on the Leix team named for tonight. Instead, we have  a Mountmellick lad starting - and fair play to him, too! Hoping they do the business tonight!

Joeythelips

Decent win, sets the Offaly game up nicely. Anyone at the game? any match reports?

burdizzo

Yeah, nice enough win, but in truth, it should have been in the double figures as Leix must've squandered half a dozen good goal chances. King, I'd say, didn't miss a free all night, and the other forwards did well in patches. Aside from the lapse for the first goal, the backline did fairly well. Ones I hadn't expected a whole lot from that did well enough were Matthew Whelan, Donnacha Hartnett, and Podge Lawlor. Cha wasn't really himself at all, but still got a couple of points. He was moved into full forward in the second half.
However, Antrim were quite prone to simple mistakes, and their first touch was poor enough. They had a bit more heft than Laois, and a lot our lads lack size, but I suppose you work with what you have. In any case, they were way more skilful than Antrim tonight, but against the top teams this lack of size would matter much more.

blueandwhite1

Well summarized burdizzo.

Full back line played well and are improving. Matthew had one of his best games in years and looks really fit. Podge seems more suited to the half back line. Midfield were dominant. Worker Ryan looks like a lad playing inter county for years. The forwards played well in fits and starts. Roddy was flawless from frees. Young Comerford had a decent game. Fouled looks dangerous but needs to get on more ball. Ben doesn't look himself and seems to strike the ball at the wrong time. Cha looks well behind the others in terms of fitness but last night will bring him on. Was on a huge amount of ball in first half and scored a couple of nice points.

Subs made a difference when they came on. Downey scored a super point as did Mark Kavanagh from a sideline. Nice to have lads like Joe Phelan and Cían Taylor pushing for places.

All in all we are looking more mature and settled than last year. Although we are light we are not afraid to get stuck in and contest dirty ball. We are also winning loads of possession which we were poor at last year. Looking at Antrim would remind you how young our team are. Important win and can see our year being defined by matches against Antrim.