Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: lenny on January 13, 2020, 05:12:48 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2020, 03:17:11 PM
He's definitely confirmed for Eir Sport... will be interested to hear how he squares that circle!!!

Is eir sport not free for anyone with eir broadband. That must be a huge number of people in the south based on them being the biggest broadband provider. Can we get eir sport in the north if we don't have sky? Does anyone know?

They would have to be paying for a subscription to a TV package from Sky, Eir, Virgin etc in the first place to avail of this so it's not free.

It's just Brolly being a snide hypocrite, in true snide Derry fashion.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

timmyot501

You can avail of Eir sports package if you have eir broadband package via their app.  I do not have sky, Virgin or Eir TV package but I can avail of the Eir sports app for free once my broadband is with eir.  I can then chromecast eir sports from my phone to the TV.  It also includes virgin media sports pack now. (this use to be BT Sports)

Redhand Santa

Quote from: timmyot501 on January 14, 2020, 09:57:58 AM
You can avail of Eir sports package if you have eir broadband package via their app.  I do not have sky, Virgin or Eir TV package but I can avail of the Eir sports app for free once my broadband is with eir.  I can then chromecast eir sports from my phone to the TV.  It also includes virgin media sports pack now. (this use to be BT Sports)

But what about the wee old man living in rural Ireland with no access or cant afford broadband. Not fit to leave the house to go to a neighbour or a pub. Him relying on these weekly games to keep him going.

Or the man lying up in hospital with no access to Eir Sport.

Joe was very worried about these people last year when Sky and Eir showing games. He was close to tears telling these sad stories.

Rossfan

Joe might use his payments from eir to get those folks connected to the pay channels......
Yah right....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smurfy123

Joe being shown up for what he is. No integrity at all. The poor wee old men lying up in the hospital beds will be devastated. I really did not think he would do it.

Gaagaagaa20

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 14, 2020, 12:25:18 PM
Joe being shown up for what he is. No integrity at all. The poor wee old men lying up in the hospital beds will be devastated. I really did not think he would do it.
Has to find some way of keeping himself relevant.

BennyCake

Quote from: Gaagaagaa20 on January 14, 2020, 01:47:26 PM

That's exactly what it's all about.

lenny

Quote from: BennyCake on January 14, 2020, 06:10:35 PM

It's still interesting to hear his opinion. He might talk sh1te at times but he's entertaining.

JoG2

This is 'The Official Keep Joe Brolly Relevant' thread though

Cunny Funt

Quote from: lenny on January 14, 2020, 06:30:11 PM

It's still interesting to hear his opinion. He might talk sh1te at times but he's entertaining.

In what way is he entertaining? I don't class attention seeking as entertainment.

BennyCake

He's not entertaining. For years, TSG was all about "shut up everybody, and listen to me".

He's a narcissist. And the only way to deal with a narcissist is to cut them out. Thankfully RTE have done that.

lenny

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 14, 2020, 06:47:58 PM

In what way is he entertaining? I don't class attention seeking as entertainment.

The football connoisseurs on here are probably sick of listening to him but everyone I've spoken to who isn't fanatical about football, ie the average punter, loves listening to him. Lots of people have said to me it's a a massive own goal by rte to get rid of him. Ciaran whelan, sean cavanagh and dessie dolan spend all their time sitting on the fence, although colm orourke and spillane will still get people talking.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Redhand Santa on January 14, 2020, 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: timmyot501 on January 14, 2020, 09:57:58 AM

But what about the wee old man living in rural Ireland with no access or cant afford broadband. Not fit to leave the house to go to a neighbour or a pub. Him relying on these weekly games to keep him going.

Or the man lying up in hospital with no access to Eir Sport.

Joe was very worried about these people last year when Sky and Eir showing games. He was close to tears telling these sad stories.

You forgot about those in nursing homes too......

theticklemister

NEW eir Sport pundit Joe Brolly has said that a decade of "howling at the moon" over keeping Gaelic games free-to-air was behind his decision to link up with the pay-per-view station.

The Derry man said that he campaigned vigorously against the decision to have paid GAA content introduced, including a series of meetings with then GAA Director General Pauric Duffy, but ultimately his message was "comprehensively rejected."

The Gaelic Life columnist, who also pointed out that 600,000 people receive eir Sports free as part of their broadband package, explained his U-turn.

"I started to object 10 years ago, setting out the case for the games to be available to everybody regardless of means," said Brolly, whose association with RTÉ came to an end in September.

"I met Pauric Duffy three times about it when he was the Director General. I met him at the start of the rights issue and at the second round of the rights issue.

"He made it clear that this was the new landscape and that it wasn't going to change. He did agonise over it.

"I continued to make my case. I'm very close, for example, to patients in hospitals, I'm heavily involved with Hospice and Cystic Fibrosis charities.

"But after 10 years my argument has been comprehensively rejected, absolutely rejected.

"In truth it has reached the stage where I'm howling in the wind. I'm certainly the only pundit who blazed a trail on it; none of the journalists were interested in it. Even my own kids were saying get real.

"There comes a point where it becomes entirely pointless. Like many things in society they change and they change permanently."

Brolly also said that the changing media landscape also played a part in his decision.

"Something that I had become conscious of much more was the viewing habits of younger people.

"My own kids for example, more or less watch Youtube and online.

"There is going to be a new landscape for the games, there's absolutely no doubt about that – the GAA have decided that."

Some amount of shite talked right there.

So he basically tried to change the system and said "f**k it" , and went with the system

Smurfy123

What a load of horse crap
Joe is being shown up for what he really is this time.
He was sitting comfortably in RTE free to air and thought he would play the saint Joe card about the poor oul men in hospitals etc
Very very surprised in him
Disappointed actually