Sectarian abuse from the free staters

Started by Truth hurts, February 07, 2022, 11:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Tubberman

Ironically, I think Carlow was one of, if not the, most planted counties in Ireland - outside Ulster obviously!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

Quote from: Tubberman on February 08, 2022, 08:45:33 PM
Ironically, I think Carlow was one of, if not the, most planted counties in Ireland - outside Ulster obviously!
Would King's county and Queen's county not have had more blow ins ? Laoislad might be able to help.

johnnycool

Quote from: Franko on February 08, 2022, 08:16:29 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 08, 2022, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: general_lee on February 07, 2022, 03:57:01 PM
And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"
In the absence of any Prods about the place, I think the Carlow lads are to be congratulated for their ingenuity and imagination.

Just a shame that the Down boys can't show the same qualities in actually getting a few more Prods into their own team.

Or even one.

(I'll leave that thought with you  ;))

Shall I correct you on that one?

Always enjoyable watching a smug tw@t making a fool of himself.

With his little emojis and everything.  ;D

It's ironic that one of the lads in questions name is actually in the report in the first post  ;D.

His Da is a proud East Belfast Glensman, born and raised, tattoos and all who helps out with our pitch maintenance.

And if some of you remember a while back I put up a post about some village idiot in Portavogie giving out about people wearing GAA tops in the village. Found out on Sunday whilst talking to a lad originally from Bangor (also not Catholic) whos daughters play camogie for us that it was another wee girl and her sister who's dad is originally from SA (not Catholic either) but living in Portavogie that the idiot was giving off about. They were wearing our tops..

Always happy to break down barriers.

HiMucker

Really looking forward to EGs rebuttal lol

blanketattack

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2022, 08:54:55 PM
Would King's county and Queen's county not have had more blow ins ? Laoislad might be able to help.

That reminds me of an online computer peripherals store from about 15 years ago, can't remember it's name but it was similar to lots of others around that time e.g. jungle.com, saverstore.com, Watford Electronics, anyway, when you selected Ireland as your country it has a drop-down list pre-populated for County that had 3 ones with slashes:
Derry/Londonderry
Queens County/Laois
Kings County/Offaly

Wish I'd taken a screenshot, but looking back it seems bizarre.

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2022, 08:54:55 PM

They're quare posh in Carla'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Carlow#Demographics

Carlow was at the epicentre of the estates period of the late-18th and 19th centuries, and the county had a greater number of country houses and demesnes per hectare than any other rural county in Ireland.[60] These "Big Houses" and their occupants dominated the economic and political landscape until the turn of the 20th century. Although the term was never applied at the time, historian Jimmy O'Toole refers to Carlow as "the most gentrified county in Ireland" due to the concentration of aristocratic families and their grand estates within its borders.[61]

19th-century Lisnavagh House, a typical Anglo-Irish big house
A valuation survey undertaken in 1876 revealed that just 21 families owned 34,031 ha (84,090 acres) – almost 40% of the entire county.[62] Although not as prevalent as in other counties, absenteeism by the landholding class in Carlow was still common. Towards the end of the 19th century, anger at high-rents and the widespread eviction of tenant farmers in Ireland resulted in the Land War (1879–1882) and the formation of the Irish National Land League led by Charles Stewart Parnell, which heralded the end of the estates period.[63]

While as many as 300 Big Houses across Ireland were burned down during the revolutionary period,[64] Carlow was left relatively untouched, losing just three Big Houses between 1919 and 1923, two of which were unoccupied. Éamon de Valera was against such burnings and addressed supporters at the gates of Browne's Hill House in January 1923, stating that "nothing was to be achieved by the burning or damaging of homes, big or small...raid for arms, yes, but leave them as they found them".[65]

Some of the most prominent Big Houses are currently in public ownership, such as Altamont House, Oak Park and Duckett's Grove. Several historically significant Big Houses such as Borris House, Huntington Castle and Dunleckney Manor are privately owned but open to tours and visitors at certain times of year. The majority of the surviving Big Houses within the county are in use as either private residences or hotels, while a small number have been abandoned and are in a derelict state.[66]
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Main Street

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 08, 2022, 03:20:32 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 08, 2022, 03:16:30 PM
This is a non-story with the loyalist newspapers in the north trying to give it legs.
It's hardly a non story, it's a ridiculous thing to try and slag someone playing GAA about and it's far from an isolated thing. 
Yes it is ridiculous, should be reported and action taken, but how does this 'brit sledging/shaming' cross the line to be labelled sectarian abuse?

michaelg

Quote from: johnnycool on February 09, 2022, 09:01:46 AM
And if there was an actual Protestant or someone from a unionist background stripped out for Down yesterday, what's the course of action then? "Ah don't worry, it's only a bit of sledging"
In the absence of any Prods about the place, I think the Carlow lads are to be congratulated for their ingenuity and imagination.

Just a shame that the Down boys can't show the same qualities in actually getting a few more Prods into their own team.

Or even one.

It's ironic that one of the lads in questions name is actually in the report in the first post  ;D.

His Da is a proud East Belfast Glensman, born and raised, tattoos and all who helps out with our pitch maintenance.

And if some of you remember a while back I put up a post about some village idiot in Portavogie giving out about people wearing GAA tops in the village. Found out on Sunday whilst talking to a lad originally from Bangor (also not Catholic) whos daughters play camogie for us that it was another wee girl and her sister who's dad is originally from SA (not Catholic either) but living in Portavogie that the idiot was giving off about. They were wearing our tops..

Genuine question - Where was the young fella educated? If he went to a GAA playing catholoc school, arguably his involvement in the sport has more to do with that, rather than any GAA outreach.  If that's the case, his Da having a few Glentoran tattoos is kinda irrelevant.

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on February 09, 2022, 05:59:59 PM

Or even one.

Genuine question - Where was the young fella educated? If he went to a GAA playing catholoc school, arguably his involvement in the sport has more to do with that, rather than any GAA outreach.  If that's the case, his Da having a few Glentoran tattoos is kinda irrelevant.

Not sure this is the forum to be discussing where individuals went to school, but since you asked Michaelg, it's a great opportunity to enlighten the likes of yourself and EG about the realities of GAA, rather than a conveniently false narrative.
Most GAA players are introduced to the GAA at their local GAA club of which there are ~50 in County Down. Young players develop an interest either through family or friends, as it's certainly not promoted in the media in the North in the same way as soccer or rugby, though Thankfully we've moved on somewhat from the classic BBC sports bulletin "and finally GAA" afterthoughts. In our club we have several players who did/do not attend GAA schools . In some cases were bullied for playing GAA, and there has never been any interest in offering GAA sports or indeed even recognise that they exist. In the meantime , "GAA schools" are promoting soccer, rugby and other sports, and rightly so.
The relegation of Irish culture in state and even integrated schools, with the failure to put GAA on an equal footing, must be addressed if we are to get to an equal shared future , regardless of future constitutional arrangements. The continued resistance to an Irish language act is probably the clearest example of a continued reluctance by unionism and the "establishment" to respect Irish identity on an equal footing . That's the "elephant in the room".
Thankfully many individuals from a unionist background , are well ahead of unionists politicians and the state/integrated education sector , in embracing and enjoying GAA.

michaelg

Quote from: 6th sam on February 09, 2022, 10:13:13 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 09, 2022, 05:59:59 PM

Or even one.

Not sure this is the forum to be discussing where individuals went to school, but since you asked Michaelg, it's a great opportunity to enlighten the likes of yourself and EG about the realities of GAA, rather than a conveniently false narrative.
Most GAA players are introduced to the GAA at their local GAA club of which there are ~50 in County Down. Young players develop an interest either through family or friends, as it's certainly not promoted in the media in the North in the same way as soccer or rugby, though Thankfully we've moved on somewhat from the classic BBC sports bulletin "and finally GAA" afterthoughts. In our club we have several players who did/do not attend GAA schools . In some cases were bullied for playing GAA, and there has never been any interest in offering GAA sports or indeed even recognise that they exist. In the meantime , "GAA schools" are promoting soccer, rugby and other sports, and rightly so.
The relegation of Irish culture in state and even integrated schools, with the failure to put GAA on an equal footing, must be addressed if we are to get to an equal shared future , regardless of future constitutional arrangements. The continued resistance to an Irish language act is probably the clearest example of a continued reluctance by unionism and the "establishment" to respect Irish identity on an equal footing . That's the "elephant in the room".
Thankfully many individuals from a unionist background , are well ahead of unionists politicians and the state/integrated education sector , in embracing and enjoying GAA.
The realities of GAA, as you put it, are no real different to other amateur sports in NI where young players, and people new to a sport, are coached and encouraged by volunteers involved at grassroots level.
Whilst I agree that GAA used to get short shrift in local sports round-ups etc, this has not been the case for many years.  Despite the increased visibility and coverage, the numbers of Unionist people participating in GAA remains low.  The example of the Down All Irelenad winner given earlier in the thread, as far as I am aware, was from a 'mixed marriage' who came from a predominantly Nationalist area where he would have had exposure to the game in the area.  That was why I was wondering how the young fella referred to in the article began playing hurling, and became involved initially in GAA.
Finally, there are more imprtant things to resolve in this place than ensuring that GAA is put on an equal footing in all of our schools.  I like a wide variety of sports myself, and do not expect them all to be promoted equally in all schools.  If people are so concerned about what sports are being offered, then this is something that can be considered when choosing which is the right school for them.  Personally, the quality of teaching and learning and pastoral care, would be more important to me when deciding where to send a child to school.

armaghniac

Sports, other than the GAA, suffer little from people who are too prejudiced to take part in anything Irish because they are anti-Irish.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on February 10, 2022, 12:08:15 AM
Sports, other than the GAA, suffer little from people who are too prejudiced to take part in anything Irish because they are anti-Irish.
The other argument is that Unionists have not taken part is because the GAA was a colduouse for for people from the PUL community.  Reports of sectariam abuse because of someone's perceived background, is not going to help change that.

charlieTully

Quote from: michaelg on February 10, 2022, 07:59:56 AM
The other argument is that Unionists have not taken part is because the GAA was a colduouse for for people from the PUL community.  Reports of sectariam abuse because of someone's perceived background, is not going to help change that.

Do you follow your local gaa club Michael?

imtommygunn

Quote from: michaelg on February 10, 2022, 07:59:56 AM

There is a bit of both tbh. This stuff here should be stamped out.

One thing that annoys me with the sheer bigotry of it is when I read social media threads and there are neanderthals who basically call the GAA a terrorist organisation. I have been involved from the age of 5 and yes there is an Irish element to it but there has never been any form of anything sectarian to it.