Iconic sporting photos - non-GAA

Started by Eamonnca1, June 01, 2020, 06:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Andy Hampsten on the Gavia, Giro d'Italia 1988.

Good article about that episode here:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2013/05/10/andy-hampsten-1988-giro-ditalia

J70

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trailer

Quote from: laoislad on June 01, 2020, 09:13:08 PM

Like with all Irish failures someone is blamed but Paul McShane had a very very basic header to make and he didn't. The ball fell to Henry and well the rest is history as they say, but McShane let the ball drop. If it happened in a u-12 gather up in the local park his team mates would rightly round on him. It was a shocking piece of defending from someone who actually made a leaving from being a defender albeit a terrible one.
Henry still a cheating **** but it doesn't excuse McShane.

Jesus but I needed that of my chest.

J70

Henry may have cheated, but let's be honest, how many times has a player admitted to diving or handling the ball or gaining some other similar advantage. It just doesn't happen.

I can remember Robbie Fowler pleading with the referee to cancel his decision to award a penalty when Fowler fell over David Seaman back in the mid-90s (Fowler hit a piss-weak penalty afterwards, which Seaman saved, but unfortunately for him, Jason McAteer followed up), but I cannot remember any other example of such honesty.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on June 01, 2020, 06:59:11 PM
Given the week that's in it

They were alumni of San Jose State University (where I happen to be doing a postgrad degree now) and on the campus there's a big statue of them in that pose. It's about 2x life size.

From the Bunker

Eamon Coughlan winning the Gold at the World Championships in the 5,000 meters in Helsinki. After huge disappointments in finishing the dreaded 4th in the previous 2 Olympics. Coughlan looked at his nearest opponent and realised his tank was empty with 200 meters to go.