China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 23, 2020, 09:40:45 PM
Not sure of the exact details of Cummings actions but it raises an important question for all parents with children in the scenario where you both get sick and are unable to care for the children.
It's something my wife and I have discussed and we didnt really come up with a good solution as most of our back up care givers would be high risk and the children could well be asymptomatic carriers that could pass it on to them.

Yeah likewise.

Still Cummings should bite the dust.

armaghniac

Today was the first day that China reported zero Covid19 cases.
Yeserday they conducted 1,470,950 tests in Wuhan.

Now they are probably using an  instant test that in't 100% accurate, but if we could get tthese tests then you could test everyone on  the island of Ireland in a week and get rid of the virus entirely in a couple of weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 23, 2020, 09:43:55 PM
Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 08:12:29 PM
If I am gaslighting, then so is The Lancet.

QuoteIt has become clear that a hard lockdown does not protect old and frail people living in care homes—a population the lockdown was designed to protect. Neither does it decrease mortality from COVID-19, which is evident when comparing the UK's experience with that of other European countries

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31035-7/fulltext#%20

That is an extremely poor article within the Lancet and I'm flabbergasted they published it.

Its little more than a puff piece (by a Swede) supporting the Swedish position.

Indeed, on a further 10 seconds reflection its outright f**king pathetic they allowed that to be published.

A "review" piece (it must be a review piece because it undertakes no study of its own) that presents 4 references.

I've binned papers that I thought unfit to see the light of day - and they would be 10 times better than that shite.

In October 2019, a major World Health Organisation report on pandemic flu risk arrived at the same conclusion.

Quote"There is a very low overall quality of evidence that internal travel restrictions (lockdowns) can reduce influenza transmission"
https://www.who.int/influenza/publications/public_health_measures/publication/en/

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 09:22:33 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 08:59:58 PM

The Spanish Flu is not a precedent for how this virus behaves, it was a flu virus, not a coronavirus. And the Spanish Flu killed around 50-80 million people. Why are citing something that killed multiple times the amount that died in World War II as "precedent" for Covid if you think Covid is "not a problem"?

2002–2004 SARS  is another precedent.

QuoteYou're complaining about ad hominems after claiming that somebody should be in prison? Pull the other one.
No, I told you I won't be responding to them. No matter how hard you try.

SARS is not a precedent. SARS was suppressed completely, because its symptoms showed almost immmediately and were very serious with a very high mortality rate. There were only between 8k and 9k cases worldwide.

The chances of suppressing Covid without a vaccine, without millions of people dying from it, are pretty much non-existent.

There have been well over 5 million cases of Covid recorded worldwide and we all know it's a lot more widespread than that in reality.

Covid-19 transmits asymptomatically and many carriers never show any symptoms. It's a particularly sneaky bastard of a virus and really has no precedent at all.

I presume given you're howling for Ferguson to be imprisoned you'll be doing the same for Cummings.

sid waddell

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 23, 2020, 10:06:28 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 09:09:03 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on May 23, 2020, 09:07:13 PM

Ferguson presumably didn't follow his own advice when he was ######## his bit on the side despite predicting up to 500000 deaths if we all don't self isolate.
He broke his own advice. But how does that invalidate his work, may I ask?
Either he couldn't keep away and was prepared to die in order to see his mistress given his 500000 death number or he didn't think the risk was as great as he was leading the public to believe.
You haven't explained how him breaking lockdown to visit his lover invalidates his work.

It showed a human fallibility and a selfishness on his part.

But that has no effect on the validity of his work.

It would appear you're not familiar with what conclusions his work came to. 

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 11:38:59 PM

I presume given you're howling for Ferguson to be imprisoned you'll be doing the same for Cummings.

Expressing an opinion is not howling. I'm delighted mine has put a bee in your bonnet.

Maiden1

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 11:44:24 PM

Ferguson presumably didn't follow his own advice when he was ######## his bit on the side despite predicting up to 500000 deaths if we all don't self isolate.
Either he couldn't keep away and was prepared to die in order to see his mistress given his 500000 death number or he didn't think the risk was as great as he was leading the public to believe.
You haven't explained how him breaking lockdown to visit his lover invalidates his work.

His model is just that, a model and like all models it is based on assumptions. Paddy Power probably could build a model to predict the winner of the 2023 AI but it will make lots if assumptions and lots of best guesses. Based on the different approaches of different countries the 500k prediction seems way off to me.

His personal conduct is relevant in this case as it directly contradicts his advice.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 11:59:59 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 11:38:59 PM

Expressing an opinion is not howling. I'm delighted mine has put a bee in your bonnet.
Callling for somebody to be put in prison for no reason is howling, alright. That's what Gemma O'Doherty and Donald Trump's mob do.

Measuring your opinions by how much they annoy other people is very childish indeed, and reflects very poorly on the worth of those opinions.

sid waddell

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 24, 2020, 12:03:44 AM

His model is just that, a model and like all models it is based on assumptions. Paddy Power probably could build a model to predict the winner of the 2023 AI but it will make lots if assumptions and lots of best guesses. Based on the different approaches of different countries the 500k prediction seems way off to me.

His personal conduct is relevant in this case as it directly contradicts his advice.

Ferguson warned of the possible calamity that could unfold were no lockdown measures taken. Given that the UK has the highest death toll in Europe even with lockdown measures, his warning was prescient, even if it was only what any reasonable person could see.

An individual instance of selfish behaviour on his part is in no way relevant to the validity of his work.

It's an individual instance of selfish behaviour. And he paid the price for it.

Will Cummings pay the price for his multiple instances of selfish and dangerous behaviour?

He will in me hoop.

screenexile

It's absolute poetry!!!

Get the smarmy p***k out to f**k!

armaghniac

Quote from: sid waddell on May 24, 2020, 12:20:09 AM
Ferguson warned of the possible calamity that could unfold were no lockdown measures taken. Given that the UK has the highest death toll in Europe even with lockdown measures, his warning was prescient, even if it was only what any reasonable person could see.

An individual instance of selfish behaviour on his part is in no way relevant to the validity of his work.

Will Cummings pay the price for his multiple instances of selfish and dangerous behaviour?

He will in me hoop.

If  you are a right wing commentator these two things are not the same at all, at all.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Sure shite like that from O'Neill is as predictable as night following day. O'Neill is a literal fraud. There's no way he believes the shite he spouts, you'd have to be certifiable to do so. But he gets plenty of money from his "writing" and his frequent television appearances no doubt. And that's why he does what he does. He's a scam merchant, a performance con artist who preys on the gullible. One of the most shameless and most vile grifters I've ever seen.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on May 24, 2020, 12:20:09 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on May 24, 2020, 12:03:44 AM

He will in me hoop.
It depends on how the story develops and how the public reacts.

In a Yougov poll yesterday 52% said he should resign, 28% said he shouldn't and 20% didn't  know.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Denn Forever

:DI first thought Sid was talking about our 'Neill :D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Smurfy123

Your man Shapps trying to defend Cummings makes you very angry
Saying he stayed in the one place with the one family whilst he moved up to his second home
Knew the exact dates he travelled up but low and behold he didn't know some other information
As corrupt a government as you are likely to ever see
Lying scumbags of the highest degree
Time for Cummings and every single one of his mates who came out in support of him yesterday to resign
Why should we stick to the rules and then they twist it to suit him. It was car crash tv at the highest degree
Scumbags the lot of them
Boris needs to go too. Theresa May would have handled things better and that's saying a lot.