China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

They better not release lockdown too quick - I don't want to catch diabetes at the shop ;D

Cummings getting some flak. Be nice if he bit the dust.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 23, 2020, 12:26:43 PM
They better not release lockdown too quick - I don't want to catch diabetes at the shop ;D

Stay out of the confectioners then.

QuoteCummings getting some flak. Be nice if he bit the dust.

He may be "sacked", while continuing to control the puppets from the background.
Pritti Patel was "sacked" and yet she is back spouting poison, this government have no shame.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walter Cronc

Quote from: armaghniac on May 23, 2020, 12:45:47 PM

He may be "sacked", while continuing to control the puppets from the background.
Pritti Patel was "sacked" and yet she is back spouting poison, this government have no shame.

Not a chance he'll be sacked. The subservient rats are all over twitter defending him. Pity they didn't all congregate in a big hotel again, in say Brighton!

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 10:56:56 AM
Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 09:12:10 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 12:11:07 AM
Quote from: Taylor on May 22, 2020, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: five points on May 22, 2020, 03:12:02 PM
It seems obvious to me that the serial scaremonger Prof Neil Ferguson, with his faulty modelling, scared them into a lockdown from which they're now struggling to escape.  Given his pathetic record with previous forecasts, Ferguson should never been let near Imperial College let alone Downing Street.

It also seems obvious to me that the lockdown was a huge mistake, not least because they spent a lot of resources and time organising it when the focus should have been on PPE and basic organisation in care homes.

Now they've the worst of both words.

But surely the lockdown saved 1000's of lives?
Thats is why we are over the first peak.

No lockdown means it would keep spreading
Let's get one thing clear as day. Lockdowns save lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-distancing-deaths.html?referringSource=articleShare

Do explain Sid. In your own words. A link to someone else's "study" and an oul graph don't really cut it. The world is full of those.
You think the raimeis you've offered on this thread "cuts it"?

This is an extremely serious virus which kills people in large numbers if left to spread unimpeded.

None of this is difficult to understand.

You still haven't explained anything.

All you have so far are buzzwords and passive-aggressive slogans like  "Are you right in the head?" and "Jesus wept".

We're all ears.

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 04:27:14 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 10:56:56 AM
Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 09:12:10 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 12:11:07 AM
Quote from: Taylor on May 22, 2020, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: five points on May 22, 2020, 03:12:02 PM
It seems obvious to me that the serial scaremonger Prof Neil Ferguson, with his faulty modelling, scared them into a lockdown from which they're now struggling to escape.  Given his pathetic record with previous forecasts, Ferguson should never been let near Imperial College let alone Downing Street.

It also seems obvious to me that the lockdown was a huge mistake, not least because they spent a lot of resources and time organising it when the focus should have been on PPE and basic organisation in care homes.

Now they've the worst of both words.

But surely the lockdown saved 1000's of lives?
Thats is why we are over the first peak.

No lockdown means it would keep spreading
Let's get one thing clear as day. Lockdowns save lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/20/us/coronavirus-distancing-deaths.html?referringSource=articleShare

Do explain Sid. In your own words. A link to someone else's "study" and an oul graph don't really cut it. The world is full of those.
You think the raimeis you've offered on this thread "cuts it"?

This is an extremely serious virus which kills people in large numbers if left to spread unimpeded.

None of this is difficult to understand.

You still haven't explained anything.

All you have so far are buzzwords and passive-aggressive slogans like  "Are you right in the head?" and "Jesus wept".

We're all ears.
What on earth do you need explained? 

You're the person claiming lockdowns don't help stop the spread of the virus.

Yet all evidence from literally everywhere in the world says they do.

You're the person that says that the virus will go away of its own accord like a miracle.

Yet there's no evidence that this is the case.

You also said that Neil Ferguson should be in prison. That's the comment of a lunatic.

So forgive me if you I don't pay any respect to what you say.

Respect for opinions is earned, your postings here have earned none.

Respect for protecting human life in a pandemic shoulld be a given in any reasonable individual - you appear to have none.

sid waddell

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 23, 2020, 12:50:34 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 23, 2020, 12:45:47 PM

Not a chance he'll be sacked. The subservient rats are all over twitter defending him. Pity they didn't all congregate in a big hotel again, in say Brighton!
Flaunting impunity is a key requirement for crypto-fascism and kleptocratic regimes.

They push and they push to see what they can get away with.

Cummings won't resign and he won't be sacked, and compliant, careerist, amoral access journalists will continue to parrot the Tory line at all costs.

The Tory media will likely try and flip the script in some way, and quickly.

That's exactly what has happened in the US.

five points

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 04:38:39 PM

You're the person that says that the virus will go away of its own accord like a miracle.

You also said that Neil Ferguson should be in prison. That's the comment of a lunatic.

Respect for protecting human life in a pandemic shoulld be a given in any reasonable individual - you appear to have none.

There is plenty of evidence that viruses do indeed go away of their own accord, otherwise we'd never have been rid of the Spanish flu among others.

I asked you for evidence to support your "Let's get one thing clear as day. Lockdowns save lives." comment and you've produced only deflection and ad hominem.

As late as last October the WHO stated without equivocation that there is no evidence to suggest that lockdowns are effective in countering a pandemic.

Again: where is the evidence in the meantime?

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 23, 2020, 04:59:44 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 04:38:39 PM

There is plenty of evidence that viruses do indeed go away of their own accord, otherwise we'd never have been rid of the Spanish flu among others.

I asked you for evidence to support your "Let's get one thing clear as day. Lockdowns save lives." comment and you've produced only deflection and ad hominem.

As late as last October the WHO stated without equivocation that there is no evidence to suggest that lockdowns are effective in countering a pandemic.

Again: where is the evidence in the meantime?

You're gaslighting.

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/19/10484

We draw scenarios of different containment measures and their impact. Results suggest that the sequence of restrictions posed to mobility and human-to-human interactions have reduced transmission by 45% (42 to 49%). Averted hospitalizations are measured by running scenarios obtained by selectively relaxing the imposed restrictions and total about 200,000 individuals (as of March 25, 2020). Although a number of assumptions need to be reexamined, like age structure in social mixing patterns and in the distribution of mobility, hospitalization, and fatality, we conclude that verifiable evidence exists to support the planning of emergency measures.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w26906

We find, using simulations with these estimates, that the lockdown of the city of Wuhan on January 23, 2020 contributed significantly to reducing the total infection cases outside of Wuhan, even with the social distancing measures later imposed by other cities. We find that the COVID-19 cases would be 64.81% higher in the 347 Chinese cities outside Hubei province, and 52.64% higher in the 16 non-Wuhan cities inside Hubei, in the counterfactual world in which the city of Wuhan were not locked down from January 23, 2020. We also find that there were substantial undocumented infection cases in the early days of the 2019-nCoV outbreak in Wuhan and other cities of Hubei province, but over time, the gap between the officially reported cases and our estimated "actual" cases narrows significantly. We also find evidence that enhanced social distancing policies in the 63 Chinese cities outside Hubei province are effective in reducing the impact of population inflows from the epicenter cities in Hubei province on the spread of 2019-nCoV virus in the destination cities elsewhere.

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/19/10484

The problem with irrational contrarians and gaslighters is that they will use literally everything as confirmation bias for their own stupid views.

You fall straight into that category.

You don't look at the evidence and form an opinion from that.

You form an opinion and then look for evidence to confim that opinion, and if you the evidence contradicts your opinion, you dismiss it.

You claim that COVID-19 will go away of its own accord in the near future. You say it's no longer a problem. I asked you for evidence to back up your claim.

You provided none.

I also asked you to explain why you say Neil Ferguson "should be in prison".

You haven't backed that up either.

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 23, 2020, 12:04:32 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 23, 2020, 10:47:24 AMSeriously what is the hold up with opening things.

The longer the spread is diminishing, the far smaller any potential uptick after reopening - which allows time to get it contained.

Exponential growth has a cousin... exponential decay.
But we aren't seeing exponential "decay". We're seeing slow, gradual "decay".

sid waddell

Quote from: five points on May 15, 2020, 12:05:19 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 15, 2020, 11:51:58 AM
So almost a quarter of players said they wont play with a further 1/5 undecided.

Means many many teams wouldnt have the numbers to field - simple fact of the matter

You seem to be hoping that the GAA will fail to get going again for the foreseeable future. Odd.
And in terms of gaslighting by "five points", this is an absolute classic.

Regard for public health and the health of GAA members and local communities now equals "hoping that the GAA will fail".

You should tell that to John Horan.

Professional contrarians and gaslighters are a special breed of stupid.

sid waddell

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Cummings breaking the lockdown with impunity and the leaking of the story is an attempt by the Tories to ditch restrictions by the backdoor.

Let's face it, the Tories never wanted restrictions, they were shamed into it by public opinion, they wanted to let the virus run through the population like wildfire.

When people see Cummings getting away with breaking the rules and being outright defended for doing so by the Tories, ordinary people will say to themselves, "well, if the Tories are breaking the rules, why should I follow them?"

Which is likely the point of the whole thing - and the Tories don't then have to go against the scientists to end restrictions - they can just blame such, and the likely resulting rise in cases and deaths, on ordinary people.

"Wasn't our fault, guv, it was the people wot done it".

dublin7

Quote from: sid waddell on May 23, 2020, 05:45:53 PM
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Cummings breaking the lockdown with impunity and the leaking of the story is an attempt by the Tories to ditch restrictions by the backdoor.

Let's face it, the Tories never wanted restrictions, they were shamed into it by public opinion, they wanted to let the virus run through the population like wildfire.

When people see Cummings getting away with breaking the rules and being outright defended for doing so by the Tories, ordinary people will say to themselves, "well, if the Tories are breaking the rules, why should I follow them?"

Which is likely the point of the whole thing - and the Tories don't then have to go against the scientists to end restrictions - they can just blame such, and the likely resulting rise in cases and deaths, on ordinary people.

"Wasn't our fault, guv, it was the people wot done it".

I can't believe the Tories are that cynical or intelligent.

I am surprised Cummings hasn't resigned yet. Normally when something like this happens in the UK the politician or individual resigns pretty quickly. Very rare to see someone adopt the Irish approach to deny, deny, deny and insist he's done nothing wrong.

They showed a cabinet minister at a press conference trying to defend him on sky news earlier. It was car crash stuff and something you'd normally expect to see from our Irish politicians trying to defend the indefensible. I can't see how he keeps his job.

Boris hasn't been seen much since he recovered from Covid-19 so you'd wonder who exactly is in charge now and this could be part of the problem

bennydorano

All day I've been thinking not a f**king chance he'll go, he's got some sort of Indian Yogi mind grip on Boris Johnson, but when the Spectator comes out swinging the Tories will have to sit up and take notice
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-dominic-cummings-must-go/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I'm looking forward to the Sunday Times tomorrow.

pbat

Now there is a second trip, surely he has to go now.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: pbat on May 23, 2020, 07:44:06 PM
Now there is a second trip, surely he has to go now.

Come on man. Link??