Car insurance query

Started by omagh_gael, November 04, 2014, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Looking some advice here. My brother just contacted me to say he ran into the back of someone today in his Car. His problem is his MOT ran out at start of the week and his test is tomorrow afternoon. Silly eejit, I know. Will the insurance company automatically run an MOT check or would they ask you to provide the cert if required? I ask this as I had a prang 3 years ago (my fault) and the cclaim went through without any details been asked of me apart from the other parties contact details etc. To sort out their mechanic.

supersarsfields

The third party's repairs will be carried out without hassle. He may hit bother with repairs to his own (if he's fully comp). It will depend on the insurance company but some can decline his property claim If he wasn't MOT'ed.

Hereiam

This happened me about ten years ago. It worked out ok because i had the date booked. He sould be fine

Tony Baloney

screenexile

Very sticky . . . technically you're an uninsured driver if your car is not MOT'd. MAYBE you'll get leniency because the MOT system is fucked and it takes the best part of 6 weeks to get a test booked if your not in Belfast!

omagh_gael

Cheers for the replies. He had all the work done to the car for MOT and can prove that. He got a cancellation and got it through the test this evening.

He had no damage (save a few areas of chipped paint) and he was telling me that his broker told himhe won't be liable for the excess as he himself is not claiming. Is this correct?

supersarsfields

Yeah you only pay excess on your own repairs. If he's not claiming for his own vehicle then he's fine.

omagh_gael