Hardy's school of grammar

Started by omagh_gael, May 13, 2013, 12:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

A thread dedicated to those with terriblegrammaritus who require help with those apostrophe, spelling and punctuation c**k ups.

Here's an article that confirms there are other grammar enforcement officers in this world other than our own Hardy. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731

P.s. Feel free to tear my own grammar etc to shreds.

Shamrock Shore

It's hardly a crime to go bonkers when some posters don't seem to know the difference between it's and its and also there and their and they're.

Surely it's just as easy to spell something right as to spell it wrong!

Take time out to check the spelling and then there will be no rows. I don't think anyone ever got pulled up on a mis-placed comma in the middle of a sentence.

Billys Boots

Misplaced doesn't need a hyphen - just saying!  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

AQMP

The split infinitive causes me no angst, in fact "to boldly go" definitely sounds better than "to go boldly" or "boldly to go".  The gradual disappearance of "whom" I can live with and I've even enjoyed a full night's sleep after seeing "may" and "might" mixed up but I'm still a stickler for the good old apostrophe.  I still can't fathom the thinking process when someone writes "Try our new range of ice-cream's" as spotted just last week.

A couple of weeks ago I read on the BBC Sport website a report on a Newcastle Utd game under the headline "Undiscipline cost us - Pardew".  This remained even after my query as to whether it should be "Indiscipline".  Maybe they were reporting what Pardew said verbatim as he comes across as a dozy twonk.

"Should of" and its related forms want to make me hack my own head off with a blunt, rusty knife.

mouview

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 13, 2013, 01:00:24 PM
It's hardly a crime to go bonkers when some posters don't seem to know the difference between it's and its and also there and their and they're.

Surely it's just as easy to spell something right as to spell it wrong!

Take time out to check the spelling and then there will be no rows. I don't think anyone ever got pulled up on a mis-placed comma in the middle of a sentence.

Con Houlihan: "A man who will misuse an apostrophe is capable of anything"

Shamrock Shore

QuoteCon Houlihan: "A man who will misuse an apostrophe is capable of anything"

Con Houlihan was never wrong!

Hardy

Quote from: AQMP on May 13, 2013, 02:01:27 PM
The split infinitive causes me no angst, in fact "to boldly go" definitely sounds better than "to go boldly" or "boldly to go".
I agree. It was a rule that never made sense and led to the concoction of awkward phrases, as you say. I think it's been dropped by most manuals of style at this stage.

Quote"Should of" and its related forms want to make me hack my own head off with a blunt, rusty knife.

:D  Indeed. You'd of to wonder.

Feckitt

armaghniac

Probably a Violet Hill graduate that designed that one.

Punctuation is important.

Charlie Haughey said.
"I have done the State some service"

when he meant
"I have done the State. Some service!"
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 13, 2013, 12:38:21 PM
A thread dedicated to those with terriblegrammaritus who require help with those apostrophe, spelling and punctuation c**k ups.

Here's an article that confirms there are other grammar enforcement officers in this world other than our own Hardy. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22403731

P.s. Feel free to tear my own grammar etc to shreds.

One has to be careful, cautions Patrick Wilson, founder of the Tutor Crowd, which works with young people. "There's a danger people can be too judgemental."

Pat is also a master of the understatement.

Hardy

Yes, because it's wrong to exercise judgement.

Quote from: armaghniac on May 13, 2013, 03:09:04 PM

Probably a Violet Hill graduate that designed that one.

Punctuation is important.

Charlie Haughey said.
"I have done the State some service"

when he meant
"I have done the State. Some service!"

Let's eat Grandma.
Sorry ...
Let's eat, Grandma.

armaghniac

QuoteOne has to be careful, cautions Patrick Wilson, founder of the Tutor Crowd, which works with young people. "There's a danger people can be too judgemental."

Shouldn't he have said "There's a danger that people can be too judgemental."

What really gets my wick is when people talk of wreckless tackles. Just because there wasn't a wreck, doesn't mean that it wasn't dangerous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Shamrock Shore

Or being left on tenderhooks.......

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 13, 2013, 03:15:29 PM
Or being left on tenderhooks.......

That's ok in my book depending on how you frame the term.