McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Quote from: heffo on June 28, 2013, 03:23:15 PM
"But realistically, come on? There's guys there being called in from places I've never even heard of."

The men with no name weren't too shabby on Sunday

Harnedy given man-of-the-match on TV3. Probably wasn't the best on show but still played very well. Made O'Hailpin eat his words.

Quote from: orangeman on June 28, 2013, 03:27:08 PM
I'd say he'll be very popluar in those places that he hasn't even heard tell of before.

I know Cork is the biggest county in Ireland but is it really that big ?.

In fairness, I'd say half the county would have no idea where St. Itas are from. William Egans club Kilbrin is in a fairly remote area as well.

heffo

Quote from: CorkMan on June 28, 2013, 03:37:07 PM
"But realistically, come on? There's guys there being called in from places I've never even heard of."

Harnedy given man-of-the-match on TV3. Probably wasn't the best on show but still played very well. Made O'Hailpin eat his words.

Quote from: orangeman on June 28, 2013, 03:27:08 PM
I'd say he'll be very popluar in those places that he hasn't even heard tell of before.

I know Cork is the biggest county in Ireland but is it really that big ?.

In fairness, I'd say half the county would have no idea where St. Itas are from. William Egans club Kilbrin is in a fairly remote area as well.

Lots of very succesfull IC players over the years are from tiny Junior clubs in the arse end of nowhere. Point is imo that Sean Óg should keep his head down now - like Keith Barr when he got the bullet from Tommy Carr, constantly bleating on about it doesn't do anyone any favours

anglocelt39

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

deiseach

I thought he might have been misquoted, but that's crass. There would have been a time when players from Blackrock, the Barrs or Glen Rovers would have looked down their noses at players from Na Piarsaigh. Poor form.

heffo

muppet

MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Sean Óg is not for turning.

Ó hAilpín not going back on criticism

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín still stands over his recent criticisms of the Cork senior hurlers.

By Stephen Barry
Ó hAilpín was under fire after an interview which appeared on the day Cork played Clare in the Munster SHC semi-final, where he reiterated his disappointment at the omission of clubmate John Gardiner from the panel.

However the All-Ireland winning captain backed up his "straightforward" comments but sought to clarify his motives for giving the interview and was particularly keen to address the poor timing of its publication.

"It wasn't the night before the match when I did that interview, I did that interview three weeks before, and whether Cork won or lost, that's not going to change my view," Ó hAilpín said at the recent Sinn Féin Summer School in Ballyvourney. "I was asked for an opinion on John Gardiner, I gave my honest opinion. Anyone that knows me knows I'm as honest as they come. Whether Cork lost or won, I wasn't going to change my opinion and if I was asked the same question again, I'd still give the same answer. It mightn't have been popular among people but I'd rather me being straightforward than beating around the bush.

"So congratulations and fair play to Cork but again, the outcome had no bearing on the opinion that I gave."

While Ó hAilpín criticised Jimmy Barry-Murphy's decision to exclude Gardiner, he noted his former manager's experience of dealing with a similar transition from one generation to the next and from disappointment to success.

"Jimmy was in his fourth year in 1999 when we won the Munster and All-Ireland titles. So the first two to three years were harsh years; we weren't competing well and we didn't win.

"Jimmy was in that same scenario when he took over last year. Cork are coming on from a base, but they haven't won anything for the last couple of years and they're a young side.

"If there's a fellow who has experience of that same scenario to bring them through a tough period, he has it from 1999."

Ó hAilpín was happy to see his former teammates dispel doubts about their form after relegation from Division 1A of the league and sees the Clare win as a launchpad in a wide open championship.

"Leading up to the game, there was a question mark about what Cork were going to bring to the table. They needed to bring their A game and they did, and were a better team for it. It sets up a lovely clash against Limerick in the Munster final. It will be a tough game but it's a young enough team and, for a developing young lad, that type of result would give them huge confidence. It's wide open and either team will fancy their chances. So it'll make for a great Munster final."

T Fearon

Why does Mick Mc Carthy need the backing of Cork hurlers? :-\

johnneycool

He's certainly entitled to his opinion that Gardiner should or should not be on the panel, it was his comments about other players from places he hadn't even heard off he should have been taken to task over. It's disparaging to the players involved and he should at least be man enough to apologise for that.

deiseach

Takes a big man to congratulate his own county when they win, fair play to him.

CitySlicker11

Sean Óg just keeps digging. The story should be about the 15 players and subs on Sunday. Sean Óg WAS a legend, needs to leave it behind now.

seafoid

orangeman

Donal Óg giving Frank and co stick years later.

Some shock.

passedit

Frank Murphy, still the millstone round the neck of Cork GAA.

Some surprise
Don't Panic