Gaillimh-Ciarraí 2008

Started by An Fhairche Abu, August 04, 2008, 04:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Have we any hope?

Worst draw possible from a Galway point of view, the rest of the qualifier winners are no great shakes, it's the toughest draw we could have got.

I reckon we will win it handy about 4-14 to 1- 13 (if only!!!). I am extremely drunk while posting this message, the Valk in Ballinrobe does that to ya.

stephenite

Mike Sheehy

Based on all the evidence at hand Kerry should win but we wont be buying the "we havent a hope" stuff lads.

ross matt

This is one that Galway definitely can win. Their midfield is the obvious weakness but Bergin is surely ready to return from injury now and he would definitely be an improvement out there. Kerry still looked like a side who are still trying to find their  best form. Sluggish against Monaghan with question marks over their full back line. I think the Galway forwards have the class to exploit this plus as shown againt Mayo (and many times in the past) they have the ability to take their scores from half chances when they are being dominated further out the field. The ariel bombardment in to star and walsh will cause them problems but Hanly looked back to form in the Connacht Final and Fitzgerald has the height and mobility to do a job on walsh. The likes of Burke would make a good man marker for Gooch. On top of all this the tribesmen (Joyce expecially) are very fresh this season  and seem to be enjoying their football under Sammon. I'd back them this time.

rrhf

Galforever

Worst draw hat Galway could have got. Kerry looked a different class when they met in the league

Looking forward to seeing Hanley - Donaghy clash.

smcafee

kerry will win this.galway have plenty of class but it will not beat a sly,cheeky and physical kerry team that know every trick in the book.

Barney

Bad draw for Galway but they have a big performance in them.

The backs flatter to deceive at times but can be tough and tight.

I don't think this will be as easy as many think. A 6 day turn-around is tough for Kerry and perhaps they might caught. They have to start favourites, and should have a bounce in their step but with Meehan and Joyce against you there is always a chance.

Should be a good game of football.

Clarin Pearl

A woeful draw for Galway. The worst thing they can do is think they are going to get a nice football game next saturday. How is Joe Bergin?? Hardly likely to be matchfit. The 6 day turnaround for Kerry can't help them. Galway must hit them on the scoreboard early and often. Meehan never has a bad day in Croke Park(the team might). Too many wing and prayer merchants around the middle 8 who need to step up and be counted. 7 years is a long time.

galwayman

This is the worst case scenario for us. I can't see us beating Kerry. They are just too strong all round for us I reckon.
Re previous posts -> Bergin will hardly be fit enough to play - he didn't play any part for his club in championship action last weekend.Even if he has improved in the interim, he won't be near fit enough to come into a game of that intensity in Croke Park.
Re Mike Meehan not having a bad game in Croker - as far as I recall he has only played their twice with the seniors vs Donegal in 2003 and Cork in 2005. Though he did bag goals on both of those occasions I think including 2 against Cork. I don't reckon he will get much change out of Marc O'Se next weekend. O'Se cleaned him in the league in Pearse Stadium earlier in the year.
I think we would have had a decent chance against any of the other 3 sides we could have got but I'm very pessimistic now I'm afraid. Sure feckit we'll turn up anyway :-)

galwayman

AFA it's a good job I waited till now to post myself and not when I arrived home last night/this morning - was in that same Valkenburg myself last night :D

Zulu

I don't know why everyone seems to think this is a bad draw for Galway if they are good enough they can win it, if they are not they may as well be beaten next weekend. I think Galway have a great chance though they may need to come up with a plan to win more of their own kickouts.

Galforever

QuoteI don't know why everyone seems to think this is a bad draw for Galway if they are good enough they can win it, if they are not they may as well be beaten next weekend. I think Galway have a great chance though they may need to come up with a plan to win more of their own kickouts.

True, to win an all-ireland you have to beat the best and thats Kerry.

I can Joyce being up for this game in a big way. I kow many of the 98 generation have regretted nt beating Kerry during that era.

GalwayBayBoy

Well it's not the draw we wanted. I think we would definitely beat either Wexford or Kildare and I think we would have had a good chance against Tyrone. Considering we haven't won a game in Croke Park in a few years Kerry was not the team we wanted to run into for our first game up there this year. Personally I think they will have a bit too much for our lads and I will be travelling more in hope than expectation.

Thought Kerry were fairly impressive in beating Monaghan considering they hadn't played in a fair while and Monaghan were battle hardened. Hopefully that game doesn't bring them on too much.

In the league game against Kerry we were destroyed at midfield. Kerry played O'Se, Scanlon and Griffin and even though Barry Cullinane caught a couple of balls above Dara O'Se he was plouging a lone furrow. We just couldn't get any decent ball into our forwards at all. Finian Hanley actually did quite well on Donaghy that day. He will have to try and repeat the trick next weekend.

Joe Bergin is back training but difficult to see how he could last the pace of a championship match. You might get 20 minutes out of him at most. Nicky Joyce ruled out with a groin injury.

SuperDooperCooper

Who ever sets up the fixtures in the GAA must be the most clueless idiots in the world. Who the f**K sets up a minor QF for 12:30 in Newbridge with the Seniors playing in Croke Park at 4pm.......
Those who try to make it will miss the Armagh v Wexford game (despite paying full whack) and will struggle to get to Croker in time anyway.
No problem with the game in Newbridge but why not play it at 7:30 and let the fans go their way back from Croker go to the game. Annoyed as hell.