Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 18, 2024, 09:56:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2024, 08:46:03 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 18, 2024, 05:23:25 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 18, 2024, 04:44:30 PMTo a point but this deal (~13% and no workload agreement) is going to fly over the finishing line without a bother.
I don't think, say, 4% and an agreed workload solution would.
Money talks.

The younger teachers are blinded by the money and haven't ever went through the unrealistic inspection show/game/charade or whatever you'd like to call it.
What's the fear teachers have of being inspected? My wife is yapping about it and she hasn't been inspected in 14 years!  ::) Maybe if inspections were more frequent e.g. annually, there would be less fuss about it.

A principal killed herself recently in England after an inspection based on the results given afterwards

Inspections do bring a level of pressure on the school and teachers.

Inspections though need to be look at in how they are conducted.

And no issues with regular 'pop in' day inspections. Having been through a few back in the day you'll never be perfect to what they are looking but providing you're not some clampit you'll get through it

Many jobs have some form of inspections or audits but you usually know well in advance

But I don't think inspections are a major issue when talking to teachers

She didn't kill herself because of an inspection. She killed herself because she had problems with her mental health, exacerbated by the outcome of an inspection.

We have some form of audit almost weekly and regulatory inspections every couple of years. The latter aren't for the faint-hearted but they are important.

marty34

What about the inspections?

Is it not just standard, good or very good in the report? I think it's quite basic.

The thing is do parents: 1. Read the reports and 2. will it have any impact on their decision where to send their son/daughter.

I'd say no to both.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: marty34 on March 18, 2024, 10:51:22 PMWhat about the inspections?

Is it not just standard, good orvery good in the report. I think it's quite basic.

The thing is do parents: 1. Read the reports and 2. will it have any impact on their decision where to send their son/daughter.

I'd say no to both.
Not here but they are massive news amongst the chattering classes in England.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2024, 10:53:37 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 18, 2024, 10:51:22 PMWhat about the inspections?

Is it not just standard, good orvery good in the report. I think it's quite basic.

I'd say no to both.
Not here but they are massive news amongst the chattering classes in England.
One or two bad inspection reports can cause a drop in enrollments which can be catastrophic for a small school looking to get every child they can. I've seen families leave a school and once it starts it can become a torrent.

Old buildings and poor staff morale can often affect inspections.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2024, 10:20:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 18, 2024, 09:56:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 18, 2024, 08:46:03 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 18, 2024, 05:23:25 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on March 18, 2024, 04:44:30 PMTo a point but this deal (~13% and no workload agreement) is going to fly over the finishing line without a bother.
I don't think, say, 4% and an agreed workload solution would.
Money talks.

The younger teachers are blinded by the money and haven't ever went through the unrealistic inspection show/game/charade or whatever you'd like to call it.
What's the fear teachers have of being inspected? My wife is yapping about it and she hasn't been inspected in 14 years!  ::) Maybe if inspections were more frequent e.g. annually, there would be less fuss about it.

A principal killed herself recently in England after an inspection based on the results given afterwards

Inspections do bring a level of pressure on the school and teachers.

Inspections though need to be look at in how they are conducted.

And no issues with regular 'pop in' day inspections. Having been through a few back in the day you'll never be perfect to what they are looking but providing you're not some clampit you'll get through it

Many jobs have some form of inspections or audits but you usually know well in advance

But I don't think inspections are a major issue when talking to teachers

She didn't kill herself because of an inspection. She killed herself because she had problems with her mental health, exacerbated by the outcome of an inspection.

We have some form of audit almost weekly and regulatory inspections every couple of years. The latter aren't for the faint-hearted but they are important.

Today, the coroner's conclusions validate what our family has known for a long time - that Ruth took her own life as the direct result of the process, outcome and consequences of an Ofsted inspection of the school she led and loved, Caversham Primary School," Prof Waters

But you know better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim Bob

This pay offer will be accepted and everything will return to normal until next years pay negotiations where teachers will be offered next to nothing and action  short of strike will resume and inspectors will not be allowed in through the door

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

bennydorano

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 19, 2024, 09:24:09 PMThis pay offer will be accepted and everything will return to normal until next years pay negotiations where teachers will be offered next to nothing and action  short of strike will resume and inspectors will not be allowed in through the door
Hopefully Labour will get in at next GE and try and re-establish decent multi-year deals, but the whole public sector does need modernisation. There has to be big picture planning and not just lurching from shitshow to shitshow. c***ts and all that the Tories are and have been, Covid & the COL Crisis drained the exchequer, Brexit nonsense hasn't helped but there's Political choices to be made after the GE, I hope it's Labour making them.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2024, 03:53:59 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on March 19, 2024, 09:24:09 PMThis pay offer will be accepted and everything will return to normal until next years pay negotiations where teachers will be offered next to nothing and action  short of strike will resume and inspectors will not be allowed in through the door
Hopefully Labour will get in at next GE and try and re-establish decent multi-year deals, but the whole public sector does need modernisation. There has to be big picture planning and not just lurching from shitshow to shitshow. c***ts and all that the Tories are and have been, Covid & the COL Crisis drained the exchequer, Brexit nonsense hasn't helped but there's Political choices to be made after the GE, I hope it's Labour making them.
Starmer definitely more fiscally conservative than the Unions would want him to be. I don't think there will be the big public sector giveaway people would expect from a Labour government. The public sector is a leaky bucket but it's almost impossible to resolve as any chat about modernisation or restructure is immediately met with threat of strike action.