Drive for five!!!

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, September 02, 2018, 05:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on September 03, 2018, 12:39:46 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 02, 2018, 10:40:43 PM
Dublin will likely get the 5 such is their financial doping advantage.  Their decline  will be driven the fair-weather Dublin support who prefer to watch it in the pub than pay €85 for a ticket.

Dublin fans travelled in droves to and were widely lauded for their support in both Portlaoise and Omagh this year.

They don't, less than 12k in Portlaoise, they haven't sold out a game all year. Terrible support for their population size.
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Have seldom seen it easier to get tickets in recent times than for this years final... I'd a spare until 11pm on Saturday night and as we travelled up yesterday we received a couple of phone calls with offers of tickets and outside the Clonliffe House we were approached twice with offers of pairs of tickets for face value.

I suppose next year may be different with a possible 5 in a row..

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Boycey on September 03, 2018, 12:35:15 PM
Have seldom seen it easier to get tickets in recent times than for this years final... I'd a spare until 11pm on Saturday night and as we travelled up yesterday we received a couple of phone calls with offers of tickets and outside the Clonliffe House we were approached twice with offers of pairs of tickets for face value.

I suppose next year may be different with a possible 5 in a row..

Maybe I should go as I was in Croke Park in 1982 when Seamus Darby leaped like a salmon to end Kerry's dream.

I'd bring the Dubs bad luck.

I may be there anyway supporting Longford.....

Rossfan

They won't have the tiered Championship in that quick :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Passion for the county game amongst supporters is slowly starting to fade . It's sad times for the game I think . If Tyrone were to play that final twenty times ,they'd lose every time just like every other county . Whatever about out bucks having a cut at them last couple of years , at the end of the day we lost in the end . I'm not at all sure Dublin can be beaten at all for the forseeable , not in a final . You'd have to catch them out in a semi perhaps . It's depressing. Be a fantastic competition without Dublin.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on September 03, 2018, 11:35:18 AM
Quote from: gallsman on September 03, 2018, 12:39:46 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 02, 2018, 10:40:43 PM
Dublin will likely get the 5 such is their financial doping advantage.  Their decline  will be driven the fair-weather Dublin support who prefer to watch it in the pub than pay €85 for a ticket.

Dublin fans travelled in droves to and were widely lauded for their support in both Portlaoise and Omagh this year.
8,000 out of 1,350,000.
Equivalent of 400 from Ros.
Do you seriously think that's a relevant comparison?

I don't know how many Roscommon men I've known down through the years, maybe 12 or 15, but for sure everyone of them had an interest in GAA. In fact, it would be rare enough to meet any culchie who couldn't chat to you about gaelic or hurling or both! And for women it's even more pronounced. Not sure if it would be fair to say that about 30-50% of women outside Dublin would have at least  passing interest in GAA. It wouldn't be 5% in Dublin.

And of course in that 1m+ population you're ignoring all the culchies who live here, all the foreigners, all the soccer heads who hate GAA (in particular Dublin GAA) and the far higher percentage of people with just no interest in any sport.

So our true blue Dubs GAA brigade is not monstrous at all, but they do bring good numbers and great buzz everywhere they go. Nobody can deny that. But we're not the only ones.

Rossfan

You may call ir irrelevant -I'm just stating a fact.

balladmaker

Maybe the GAA could introduce a handycap system based on playing membership per county.  That way, Dublin could start with minus points on the board!

Seriously though, I can't see Dublin being beaten by anyone, such is the skill level and professionalism in their set-up.  5, 6, 7 in a row, who knows where it will end.

Jinxy

We need to do a Carnacon on it.
Get Frank Murphy on the case and boot them out of next years championship for not wearing their socks at the height stipulated in the official guide.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

larryin89

Dublin 1/2 to win five .

5/4 to win six , I kid you not.

5/2 to win seven in a row.

4/1 to win eight in a row.

There are also odds on the next team to beat them in championship with Kerry favourite at 2/1.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Any chance we could get an AI Intermediate Championship up and running next year?
Winners then play Dublin in the Senior Final.

Erne Man

I think Dublin will win their fifth in succession with the same comfort they won this year.
The challenge thereafter will be if Gavin calls it a day, but more critically Cluxton. I imagine both their appetites will be sated with that place in the record books.
The additional loss of experience from the bench McAuley, Flynn, Andrews etc will bring them closer to the chasing pack.
The problem is that there is a gap which will remain with the rest, bar probably Kerry.

It is likely that Dublin / Kerry will win 7/8 out of the next 10 - with the odd miracle win making up the difference.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Erne Man on September 03, 2018, 07:33:41 PM
I think Dublin will win their fifth in succession with the same comfort they won this year.
The challenge thereafter will be if Gavin calls it a day, but more critically Cluxton. I imagine both their appetites will be sated with that place in the record books.
The additional loss of experience from the bench McAuley, Flynn, Andrews etc will bring them closer to the chasing pack.
The problem is that there is a gap which will remain with the rest, bar probably Kerry.

It is likely that Dublin / Kerry will win 7/8 out of the next 10 - with the odd miracle win making up the difference.

You seriously think Kerry will be a threat? Based on what? a few decent Minor teams?

Was minor success the template for the current Dublin side? Do any of them have even Leinster Minor medals?

Halfquarter

Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2018, 04:56:34 PM
Dublin 1/2 to win five .

5/4 to win six , I kid you not.

5/2 to win seven in a row.

4/1 to win eight in a row.

There are also odds on the next team to beat them in championship with Kerry favourite at 2/1.

Money for old rope !