Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Labour's current problems started with  the election of Ed rather than David Milliband. David would have gotten a Blairite Labour Government back in power. Ed was elected by momentum entryists. The gate was closed too late with the change of Leadership election rules. Labour are unelectable as a hard left party, if they don't return to the centre they will rot in opposition.

smelmoth

Quote from: marty34 on December 15, 2019, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 15, 2019, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 14, 2019, 10:07:28 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 13, 2019, 10:58:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 13, 2019, 07:17:45 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on December 13, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.

Hanna and Eastwood will make no difference in London - Eastwood said he'll stop Brexit, if elected. Good luck with that a chara! 

Hanna, on the other hand, is likeable but as they were saying on the radio today, she is too nice - full of general soundbites but where does she stand on a re-united Ireland etc.  Won't commit or rock the boat.  Be neutral and bei g everybody's friend won't go on forever.
what difference do SF MLAs make?
What difference do SF MPs make?
What difference do SF TDs make?

Are they fraudsters ?

Eastwood's pledge was "he'll stop Brexit", if elected.

A day later, he's re-evaluating his statement.

They'll make no difference in London - simple as.  You should read some of my other messages re: SF.

Pearse Doherty the best of the T.D.'s.  Doing great works on the mortgage crisis/banks and only this week, super work on car insurance.

As I stated before, cllrs. do more work for local people than MLAs or MPs - they make a difference locally.

Are you seriously suggesting that the people of Foyle believed that Eastwood was claiming he would stop Brexit even if Johnson had an majority of 80? They didn't believe that. You don't believe that. Your line of reasoning is daft beyond measure.

I'll have to plead ignorance on Doherty. I don't doubt he has talent but I'm unaware what he has delivered? Happy to illuminated

Imagine a politician telling porkies...who'd have thought it?

#movethegoalposts

Do some research yourself re: Doherty. You claim ignorance but, in the same sentence, say he has talent.  Strange.

P.S. When is Colum stopping Brexit - any timeline mentioned??

That is just brainless stuff.

Porkies and moving goal posts. Francis Molliy stood on a United Ireland manifesto. I'll give him to Christmas or I'll expect him to resign. If he doesn't I will get him to talk to you

I've done some research on Doherty. Decent speaker. You might even say he had a talent for it. But I didn't see any evidence of delivery on the issues you mentioned

smelmoth

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 15, 2019, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 15, 2019, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 15, 2019, 10:11:46 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 15, 2019, 06:13:04 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 15, 2019, 04:37:10 AM
Okay, is it just me or is nobody talking about the fact that the Tories did not win the popular vote? They got 43.6% of the vote. In a PR voting system the pro-Remain vote would have been even stronger and this would have been a hung parliament.

If your Granny had balls she'd be your grandad!

Labour lost and instead of changing the rules they need to figure out how they haven't won an election agains the worst incumbent Govt in history.

Exactly. I like Corbyn but if you can not oust what is probably the most unscrupulous of prime ministers in the history of prime ministers, and that is saying something, then you have no chance. Yes media smear etc etc but a leader needs conviction in his beliefs and he did not display this in his campaign.

What Brexit position should he have taken in this election?

Labour has 2 constituencies. They have polarised views on the leading issue. Any view of Corbyn, the manifesto, the campaign or next steps needs to address the key issue

Any one. Pick one. Have some conviction.

Ok pick Leave. You lose the vote in the South and fight it out with Tories, Brexit party and UKIP for who is the purest form of Leave.

Pick Remain. What it have turned out very different?

The alternative was to adopt a grown up position. Get a sensible Leave option to run off against Remain.

smelmoth

Quote from: bennydorano on December 15, 2019, 05:37:55 PM
Labour's current problems started with  the election of Ed rather than David Milliband. David would have gotten a Blairite Labour Government back in power. Ed was elected momentum entryists. The gate was closed too late with the change of Leadership election rules. Labour are unelectable as a hard left party, if they don't return to the centre they will rot in opposition.

David Miliband couldn't win a vote when only people called Miliband could stand. Don't think he would have faired much better in the country

Labour are not a hard left party. So your point is redundant

bennydorano

Nonsense and if Labour continue to move forward believing Brexit was the sole reason for their catastrophic defeat they will repeat their mistakes and rot in opposition. A JC anointed successor will be electoral poision from the get go as well.

smelmoth

Quote from: bennydorano on December 15, 2019, 06:10:17 PM
Nonsense and if Labour continue to move forward believing Brexit was the sole reason for their catastrophic defeat they will repeat their mistakes and rot in opposition. A JC anointed successor will be electoral poision from the get go as well.

Can you address the Angela Merkel point then.

She is a centre-right politician. Corbyn advocates lower taxes and lower rates of public ownership than a recognised centre right politician. Show me how that is hard left?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: smelmoth on December 15, 2019, 06:13:47 PM

She is a centre-right politician. Corbyn advocates lower taxes and lower rates of public ownership than a recognised centre right politician. Show me how that is hard left?

Lower taxes? Had he got in I'd have been taxed more!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2019, 06:25:39 PM

Corbyn advocates lower taxes than Angela Merkel is what he said.
i usse an speelchekor

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 15, 2019, 06:27:07 PM

That seems to be the problem with Labour, lots of stuff didn't seem to add up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smelmoth

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2019, 06:32:09 PM

List them

smelmoth

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on December 15, 2019, 06:35:35 PM
IIRC income tax only makes up about 1/3rd of UK Government revenue in a fiscal year and has done so for the last few decades, it has traditionally been more reliant on indirect taxation to make up for it compared to many of its European neighbours. It's one reason why simply judging taxation in countries simply through income tax rules is flawed.

German VAT is 1% lower than UK.

marty34

Quote from: smelmoth on December 15, 2019, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 15, 2019, 03:28:38 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 15, 2019, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 14, 2019, 10:07:28 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 13, 2019, 10:58:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 13, 2019, 07:17:45 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on December 13, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.

Hanna and Eastwood will make no difference in London - Eastwood said he'll stop Brexit, if elected. Good luck with that a chara! 

Hanna, on the other hand, is likeable but as they were saying on the radio today, she is too nice - full of general soundbites but where does she stand on a re-united Ireland etc.  Won't commit or rock the boat.  Be neutral and bei g everybody's friend won't go on forever.
what difference do SF MLAs make?
What difference do SF MPs make?
What difference do SF TDs make?

Are they fraudsters ?

Eastwood's pledge was "he'll stop Brexit", if elected.

A day later, he's re-evaluating his statement.

They'll make no difference in London - simple as.  You should read some of my other messages re: SF.

Pearse Doherty the best of the T.D.'s.  Doing great works on the mortgage crisis/banks and only this week, super work on car insurance.

As I stated before, cllrs. do more work for local people than MLAs or MPs - they make a difference locally.

Are you seriously suggesting that the people of Foyle believed that Eastwood was claiming he would stop Brexit even if Johnson had an majority of 80? They didn't believe that. You don't believe that. Your line of reasoning is daft beyond measure.

I'll have to plead ignorance on Doherty. I don't doubt he has talent but I'm unaware what he has delivered? Happy to illuminated

Imagine a politician telling porkies...who'd have thought it?

#movethegoalposts

Do some research yourself re: Doherty. You claim ignorance but, in the same sentence, say he has talent.  Strange.

P.S. When is Colum stopping Brexit - any timeline mentioned??

That is just brainless stuff.

Porkies and moving goal posts. Francis Molliy stood on a United Ireland manifesto. I'll give him to Christmas or I'll expect him to resign. If he doesn't I will get him to talk to you

I've done some research on Doherty. Decent speaker. You might even say he had a talent for it. But I didn't see any evidence of delivery on the issues you mentioned

Brainless stuff indeed...I'll stop Brexit if elected...lol.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on December 15, 2019, 05:37:55 PM
Labour's current problems started with  the election of Ed rather than David Milliband. David would have gotten a Blairite Labour Government back in power. Ed was elected by momentum entryists. The gate was closed too late with the change of Leadership election rules. Labour are unelectable as a hard left party, if they don't return to the centre they will rot in opposition.

Wait until the next crash and the collapse of house prices in Surrey accompanied by  the vaporisation of pensions
The Tories won a time bomb.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2019, 06:32:09 PM

You are going to get your Brexit now

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2019, 04:54:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 15, 2019, 04:18:38 PM
What should a centrist position for Labour have looked like ?

Tony Blair?
New Labour
"believed in the use of markets to deliver economic efficiency and social justice."

So they taxed markets to pay for stuff
That model collapsed in 2008.