Westminster Election 12th December 2019

Started by Ambrose, October 29, 2019, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2019, 01:20:06 AM
Good work, Fionn.

All this talk about SF's vote being down on before. Most of their losses were in uncompetitive seats where they were either guaranteed to win or guaranteed not to. Jamie Bwyson shouldn't read too much into it. Votes in PR elections are more relevant if you want to start making predictions about future border polls.
Tbf Sinn Fein lost a  Fair few votes throughout the six counties.
My view is that they were complacent and the kick isn't a bad thing at this stage .
Alliance are selling a message which resonates with younger people(post gfa) so They are only going to get stronger.

imtommygunn

How many less candidates did they run though? I think with finucane getting in they will be happy enough.

Tony Baloney

Good work Fionn. Comprehensive as always.

I'd love to see a 3 way pact in East Derry to get rid of that absolute cnut Campbell.

Rossfan

Finucane's great win will leave them smiling for Christmas but
They've dropped their share of the vote in the 6 and got a pasting in the Locals and Euros in the 26.
New leaders, new direction, new ideas badly needed by them as "Border poll now" will only take you so far.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: smelmoth on December 13, 2019, 10:58:54 PM
Quote from: marty34 on December 13, 2019, 07:17:45 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on December 13, 2019, 09:59:45 AM
Hanna and Eastwood will be articulate MPs who will explain the nationalist position in London very well.  All necessary to keep progressing towards a New Ireland.  In contrast, what is the point of MPs like Micky Brady and Francie Molloy.  I literally couldn't tell you what they do from one week to the next.

Hanna and Eastwood will make no difference in London - Eastwood said he'll stop Brexit, if elected. Good luck with that a chara! 

Hanna, on the other hand, is likeable but as they were saying on the radio today, she is too nice - full of general soundbites but where does she stand on a re-united Ireland etc.  Won't commit or rock the boat.  Be neutral and bei g everybody's friend won't go on forever.
what difference do SF MLAs make?
What difference do SF MPs make?
What difference do SF TDs make?

Are they fraudsters ?

Eastwood's pledge was "he'll stop Brexit", if elected.

A day later, he's re-evaluating his statement.

They'll make no difference in London - simple as.  You should read some of my other messages re: SF.

Pearse Doherty the best of the T.D.'s.  Doing great works on the mortgage crisis/banks and only this week, super work on car insurance.

As I stated before, cllrs. do more work for local people than MLAs or MPs - they make a difference locally. 

marty34

Quote from: naka on December 14, 2019, 07:39:18 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2019, 01:20:06 AM
Good work, Fionn.

All this talk about SF's vote being down on before. Most of their losses were in uncompetitive seats where they were either guaranteed to win or guaranteed not to. Jamie Bwyson shouldn't read too much into it. Votes in PR elections are more relevant if you want to start making predictions about future border polls.
Tbf Sinn Fein lost a  Fair few votes throughout the six counties.
My view is that they were complacent and the kick isn't a bad thing at this stage .
Alliance are selling a message which resonates with younger people(post gfa) so They are only going to get stronger.

True - interesting thing nowwill be assembly elections.  It'll be a free for all with parties standing in every area.  It'll be cut throat and it'll be interesting the outworkings of the PR system in who get the final seat in a lot of areas.

As I stated, SF will be publically happy saying they held their own and got their main aim - JF elected.  They must have put everything in to that area, to the detriment of other 'safer' areas.  Privately, they'll be worried I'd say.

Re: east Derry. I heard a lot of unsatisfaction with people and the treatment of the Kevin Lynch band and they'd have lost a lot of votes.  This seems to be true.

They got a lad elected in Dublin west a few weeks ago so they'll be happy but they need to change course asap.  Whether they will or not will be a different story!

seafoid

Quote from: thewobbler on December 13, 2019, 10:21:58 PM
When you consider that the only Labour politician, since the 1960s, to come to office with a majority of more than 3 is New Labour's Tony Blair, Brexit is basically an easy excuse for those in denial.

England doesn't like to go beyond the centre in its politics. Go left, and you gift elections to the right.
The Tories are altRight now. In Government. Tommy Robinson Yaxley Lennon and Katie Hopkins have been providing outriding services on social media. The U.K. is a basket case.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

imtommygunn

The dup did not gain votes in any constituency. Even the ones with the pacts. That is somewhat reassuring.

Sf down more than I thought.

Interesting to see the alliance swing in east Belfast despite not winning and in north down and even north Belfast.

seafoid

A very bad result for the DUP, losing 2 and missing out on North Down. Dodds is a big loss. The big picture is that the DUP's big Brexit adventure failed. Now England is nuts. And Arlene isn't really strategic.

BennyCake

Had a hunch SF and DUP would suffer this time. Not enough to really matter though, unfortunately.

Solo_run

Normal service will be resumed in next election.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Solo_run on December 14, 2019, 01:18:44 PM

Not really sure it will. There appears to be a certain degree of volatility abroad amongst the electorate at the minute. Whether that's here to stay or not is another matter. I think it's clear that people voted in ways that maybe they haven't before, but perhaps it was more to get rid of certain people, rather than actively being for the politician you were voting for. Maybe that's the shape of things to come....know what you're against & then see what's your best option, in terms of turfing them out.

In hiding

Quote from: Solo_run on December 14, 2019, 01:18:44 PM

No it won't.
People who were afraid to vote Alliance before in case it was a waste of their vote now see that this will not be the case, especially in a PR scenario. Sinn Fein and DUP will have to start getting results to maintain their vote (I hope)

seafoid

SF only had 22% vote share according to RTE.
In a PR system I saw that they would only win 3 seats.
FPTP is a joke at this stage. The DUP got 8 seats with 30% of the vote.