Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 29, 2022, 07:22:30 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on May 29, 2022, 06:28:59 PM
Time to resurrect this topic after the ulster final fiasco.

1) shot clock
2) no backpass over half way line
3) at least 5 players on the offensive half at all times
4) managers that consider entertainment and not just results.

Full credit to Derry but for a neutral that was brutal to watch its time for change

How on earth are you going to police all that? Ludicrous to suggest this. Far bigger problems needs sorting than that. Wasn't the prettiest to watch, but it was tense, and was more entertaining than what we got served yesterday. I'll take that game all day than the frauds of finals we saw yesterday.
God help us all if we are willing to go to, pay for and watch that nonsense today.  It was brutal, no other words.  Yes the other games were lopsided but at least they tried to play football not handpass all over the field and afraid to take shots. I think we will lose a lot of fans if this continues and it's sad to see the game played like this..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

thewobbler

1) shot clock

Full credit to Derry but for a neutral that was brutal to watch its time for change

How on earth are you going to police all that? Ludicrous to suggest this. Far bigger problems needs sorting than that. Wasn't the prettiest to watch, but it was tense, and was more entertaining than what we got served yesterday. I'll take that game all day than the frauds of finals we saw yesterday.

You only need no.2. No team would be capable of playing keep ball inside an opponents half.

marty34

1) shot clock

I enjoyed it. Good tense game.

I cut the grass at half-time after the first time in the Dublin V Kildare stuff. Boring stuff.

Too many rules above at county level never mind club level.

Biggest issue GAA has is the appeals etc. process when players get sent off. Madness.

Dreadnought

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 29, 2022, 07:53:32 PM

1) shot clock

God help us all if we are willing to go to, pay for and watch that nonsense today.  It was brutal, no other words.  Yes the other games were lopsided but at least they tried to play football not handpass all over the field and afraid to take shots. I think we will lose a lot of fans if this continues and it's sad to see the game played like this..

Hardly nonsense. Was still some good play in there, and while at times it wasn't pretty, it was still hugely tense. Like you've a team coming out of the doldrums, no final in 11 years, no win in 24. They came up with a plan, and it worked. I will take that any day over the absolute sh1t we saw yesterday. Like, what do people actually want? Not every game can be top quality, free flowing football. You'll get games like this, especially when you've a team trying to break through a glass ceiling. Enjoy it for what it is. I took a lot of entertainment out of it, and am happy for the Derry people. My Donegal missus is not so much though

Dreadnought

Quote from: thewobbler on May 29, 2022, 08:16:27 PM

1) shot clock

You only need no.2. No team would be capable of playing keep ball inside an opponents half.

What is it achieving though? And what is it solving? Many time we try to solve an end result, and not the root cause. One game you don't like, and you want to bring in ridiculous rules, that will be tough to police. Leave the game alone. Simplify things if anything, not putting on rules to try and adjust things too much

trueblue1234

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 29, 2022, 07:53:32 PM

1) shot clock

The games yesterday would have you zoning out. They weren't interesting or entertaining. Todays game was far from a spectacle of football but it held the interest.
Yesterdays games are an example of a bigger problem in the GAA that will turn off more fans that todays ever will.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

thewobbler

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 29, 2022, 09:00:29 PM

1) shot clock

What is it achieving though? And what is it solving? Many time we try to solve an end result, and not the root cause. One game you don't like, and you want to bring in ridiculous rules, that will be tough to police. Leave the game alone. Simplify things if anything, not putting on rules to try and adjust things too much

The problems with Gaelic Football are those  that other sports have successfully addressed.

One is that when possession is always more important than territory, then the game becomes one dimensional. So it's boring.

The other is that when a team in a winning position has little to no incentive to push further ahead: they can game manage the clock by retaining possession through little to no skill. Teams can gain reward from doing nothing. So it's boring.

This needs to be addressed. Simple as that.

FermGael

There are no rule changes needed.

All that is needed is for referees to enforce the 4 steps or 3 seconds rule.

That would solve alot of the issues
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Dreadnought

Quote from: thewobbler on May 29, 2022, 09:42:06 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 29, 2022, 09:00:29 PM

1) shot clock

The problems with Gaelic Football are those  that other sports have successfully addressed.

One is that when possession is always more important than territory, then the game becomes one dimensional. So it's boring.

The other is that when a team in a winning position has little to no incentive to push further ahead: they can game manage the clock by retaining possession through little to no skill. Teams can gain reward from doing nothing. So it's boring.

This needs to be addressed. Simple as that.

But how much of a problem is this, really? Is this a reaction to a one off game, or an ongoing problem. I don't overall see an issue, and we shouldn't make flip reactions to one game that people don't like. This game was a perfect storm for many reasons. I just don't see why we need wholesale rule changes for an issue that isn't a recurring problem.

thewobbler

It's now been a decade long problem. And the club game is still in the mire (in my county anyway). County game looked like it was moving forward but today will set it back again. It's the easy out for coaches. Being able to set up a team, within the rules of the game, to limit their opponents with no real requirement for skill, technique or intelligence, is such an easy out.

I don't blame coaches. I blame the rule book.

The balance of territory vs possession is not balanced in our sport. It needs realigned. Our sport will prosper when it happens.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I know a good rule change . Make all the football clubs play hurling lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: FermGael on May 29, 2022, 10:01:13 PM

3 second rule? It's 4 steps or time to take 4 steps? is there a 3 second rule?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

FermGael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 29, 2022, 10:28:56 PM
Quote from: FermGael on May 29, 2022, 10:01:13 PM

3 second rule? It's 4 steps or time to take 4 steps? is there a 3 second rule?

Only a fool breaks the three second rule
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

6th sam

I believe in any future changes should be limited, and tested, and only considered if they make a referees life easier.
Therefore I would make two rule changes that will make the game easier to referee, based on the premise above from
Wobbler.
1. No back passes inside or into your own half. This promotes getting the ball as quickly as possible into the attacking half of the field , and keeps more forwards up front . It's easy to police on any pitch by one referee. It's even simpler than the current specific "no pass back to the keeper from a kick-out".
2. Black card is for a cynical foul taking a player to the ground (whether pull, push or trip ) . I would ditch the blocking the runner as a black card , as it is too much open to interpretation and is largely ignored by referees now.

I watched the game on bbc today . I found it intriguing and entertaining, tough but sporting, with no little skill eg point scoring , tackling, defensive brilliance, tactical nous. 32 scores. There was a full house in a brilliant venue and a great GAA county won their first senior title in 24 years. Genuine role models such as mckaigue and Rodgers who have been playing football and hurling ~12 months of the year for the past 10 years, with little Intercounty reward .
I didn't listen to Rte and it's only when I logged in here that I realised how brutal a game it was😂🤦🏻‍♂️.
We were treated to over two hours last night of soccer with only 1 score , and a team that totally dominated going home with nothing ( that rarely happens in GAA).
Rte GAA coverage is an absolute disgrace with unfunny soundbites , sensationalism, arrogant former stars regailing their past glories & lazy analysis , whilst ignoring the elephants in the room , financial Doping and the provincial cakewalks in Munster and Leinster giving Dublin and Kerry an advantage every year. Give me Marty Clarke and Peter Canavan's analysis before Seán cavanagh and Darragh O'Shea.

I was a neutral today and really enjoyed the game on the Bbc.

Dublin cakewalks in their half empty national stadium home venue will destroy our game sooner than a gladiatorial derby in a neutral arena bursting at the seams.

ONeill

Imagine if there had been social media in the 1980s.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.