Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Rossfan

Maybe McStay might outline his proposals.
Very easy for pundits to tell us the present system is bad news but I'd take them far more seriously if they put forward their own proposals.
For Leitrim the present tiered LEAGUE has worked well for them.
They brought 8 or 9,000 to Croke Park for the Final.
I'd say there wasn't much on 1,000 of them in the Hyde.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 31, 2019, 11:14:02 AM
Very easy for pundits to tell us the present system is bad news but I'd take them far more seriously if they put forward their own proposals.

He did in the same article

"If I were king in all of this, my preference would be to use the senior, intermediate and junior national football championships as a template. There are 20 senior teams, six intermediate and six junior county sides.
The calendar season would look like this. January to April would be reserved for clubs, from pre-season through to club league games- featuring county players. The inter-county season would run from May through to August, with a national league running through May and June to decide upon the seeding for the All-Ireland tournaments.
The nettle needs to be grasped right now
The All-Ireland senior championship would feature 20 teams in four groups of five chosen through an open draw. Each team would have four games: two at home and two away. The top two in each group would advance to the All-Ireland quarter finals. And so on.
The intermediate and junior All-Irelands would each feature two groups of three teams. Each team would play the other two teams twice – home and away. So they would also get four matches. The top two teams from each group would play the final. And crucially: All Three Finals Would Take Place On All-Ireland Final Day In Croke Park. Rankings would be determined by the national league.
The All-Ireland season would be done by August. At the end of each year, one team would be promoted from or relegated to one of the three tiers. September and October would be reserved for club championships. Finally, the provincial and All-Ireland club championships would run through November and December. So for the vast majority of teams, players, managers, backroom staff, those last two months of the year would be a complete close season.
The big advantages of this format, as I see it, would be that the season would become more game-oriented for players. Clubs would be able to field their
strongest sides for league and championships. The home and away dimension would help to balance the differences between counties and the thrill of the knock out kicks-in at the quarter final stage.
The nettle has to be grasped right now. I think any system based along this format would rejuvenate the club season and bring new excitement to the revered All-Ireland tradition. It is time to be bold"

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

five points

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2019, 11:48:12 AM

"If I were king in all of this, my preference would be to use the senior, intermediate and junior national football championships as a template. There are 20 senior teams, six intermediate and six junior county sides.
The calendar season would look like this. January to April would be reserved for clubs, from pre-season through to club league games- featuring county players. The inter-county season would run from May through to August, with a national league running through May and June to decide upon the seeding for the All-Ireland tournaments.
The All-Ireland senior championship would feature 20 teams in four groups of five chosen through an open draw. Each team would have four games: two at home and two away. The top two in each group would advance to the All-Ireland quarter finals. And so on.
The intermediate and junior All-Irelands would each feature two groups of three teams. Each team would play the other two teams twice – home and away. So they would also get four matches. The top two teams from each group would play the final. And crucially: All Three Finals Would Take Place On All-Ireland Final Day In Croke Park. Rankings would be determined by the national league.
The All-Ireland season would be done by August. At the end of each year, one team would be promoted from or relegated to one of the three tiers. September and October would be reserved for club championships. Finally, the provincial and All-Ireland club championships would run through November and December. So for the vast majority of teams, players, managers, backroom staff, those last two months of the year would be a complete close season.
The big advantages of this format, as I see it, would be that the season would become more game-oriented for players. Clubs would be able to field their strongest sides for league and championships. The home and away dimension would help to balance the differences between counties and the thrill of the knock out kicks-in at the quarter final stage.
The nettle has to be grasped right now. I think any system based along this format would rejuvenate the club season and bring new excitement to the revered All-Ireland tradition. It is time to be bold"

Not much originality there.

The idea of county panels training without competitive matches until May each year is an absolutely ridiculous idea for a recent intercounty manager to come up with.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on May 31, 2019, 11:14:02 AM

In fairness any county that has to depend on a local chemists for part of their jersey sponsorship is going to struggle against stronger counties in the championship, regardless of format.

seafoid

Quote from: five points on May 31, 2019, 11:50:38 AM

The big advantages of this format, as I see it, would be that the season would become more game-oriented for players. Clubs would be able to field their strongest sides for league and championships. The home and away dimension would help to balance the differences between counties and the thrill of the knock out kicks-in at the quarter final stage.

The idea of county panels training without competitive matches until May each year is an absolutely ridiculous idea for a recent intercounty manager to come up with.

How much originality can you have designing a sports competition? Jaysus
The main point is that change is inevitable

Groups of 5 would mean more games for middle ranked counties. Say what you like about Ros and Cavan but exposure to D1 every 2 years has stood to them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Thanks Seafóidín for posting the rest of the article.
If you have 3 All Ireland Finals the same day about 30,000 sacred cows will have to give up their AI tickets.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2019, 11:57:37 AM

"His" ideas have all been trotted out ad nauseam previously. He's well aware of the questions that they raise - for example having intercounty players training 12 months for 3 or 4 months of games - but chooses to ignore them. Lazy rent-a-quote punditry.

Change does not necessarily mean progress.

trailer

Quote from: five points on May 31, 2019, 12:06:49 PM

"His" ideas have all been trotted out ad nauseam previously. He's well aware of the questions that they raise - for example having intercounty players training 12 months for 3 or 4 months of games - but chooses to ignore them. Lazy rent-a-quote punditry.

Adapt or die. That's the choice. Fans are voting with their feet. Those who oppose change are opposing the development of Gaelic Games and want to see this past time die out altogether.

Farrandeelin

Imagine Dublin playing the 20th best. More hidings dished out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

LeoMc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 31, 2019, 12:47:26 PM

Imagine Dublin playing the 20th best. More hidings dished out.
And they don't meet anyone outside the top 10 now?

LeoMc

Quote from: five points on May 31, 2019, 12:06:49 PM

How many months should be given over to County teams to the detriment of clubs?

five points

Quote from: LeoMc on May 31, 2019, 01:28:55 PM
How many months should be given over to County teams to the detriment of clubs?
That's a loaded question. There's no need for any month to be given over exclusively to county games.

five points

Quote from: trailer on May 31, 2019, 12:41:21 PM
Those who oppose change are opposing the development of Gaelic Games and want to see this past time die out altogether.

Nail on head, we want to kill football and hurling.  ::) ::) ::) Is that your best?  8) 8) 8)

trailer

Quote from: five points on May 31, 2019, 01:43:44 PM
Those who oppose change are opposing the development of Gaelic Games and want to see this past time die out altogether.

Nail on head, we want to kill football and hurling.  ::) ::) ::) Is that your best?  8) 8) 8)

Can see no other logical reason to oppose change.

five points

Quote from: trailer on May 31, 2019, 01:46:37 PM
Quote from: five points on May 31, 2019, 01:43:44 PM

Can see no other logical reason to oppose change.

You know it all.