Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Super news BH, well done and just remember you're cancer free!!!  Whilst you get support from strangers on this board, you also give inspiration to the same people.  We never know what's around the corner for each of us, it's great to see the ongoing positivity from your experience.

Dire Ear

Quote from: balladmaker on September 16, 2020, 10:06:03 AM
Super news BH, well done and just remember you're cancer free!!!  Whilst you get support from strangers on this board, you also give inspiration to the same people.  We never know what's around the corner for each of us, it's great to see the ongoing positivity from your experience.

100%

Square Ball

Followed your story and delighted for you and Mrs BH. As many have mentioned great to get a good news story for a change.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Maurice Moss

Have been following your story with fingers and toes crossed. Fantastic new for you BH. Keep it up

omochain

BH. I am delighted that all is improving well. I am looking forward to hearing that the hearing process is progressing well enough for your treatment to continued as scheduled. Thank you for sharing your experience. It has been very uplifting for me in a time when I need some good news.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Ball Hopper on September 16, 2020, 03:18:25 AM
Well folks, my recovery is slow...very slow.

Six weeks after surgery and I've finally started to regain a few of the 30 pounds weight that I lost in the first half of August.

The surgery site has one area not healing at the same rate as the rest...remedies include waiting a month to see if it catches up and then do the ileostomy reversal surgery - or do some surgical repairs in the next few weeks which will delay the reversal surgery till December.  Either way is fine with me - the key being the reversal surgery will not take place until the surgery site is 100% ready for traffic.

Diet is good, sleep is good although the bag requires emptying every 2-3 hours, but I'm getting good restorative sleep in between, plus an afternoon nap always helps.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good at this stage, and anytime my attitude begins to weaken, I just have to look at the pathology report on the desk beside the computer that says I'm cancer free - amazing how much just glancing at the report perks me up - I don't even have to read any part of it.

It would also be remiss of me not to mention Mrs. Hopper - for a person who would be almost sick watching medical shows on TV last year, she has really come through for me.  There were a few instances when the bag required unscheduled replacement, combined with a low blood pressure event (leading to me fainting in the shower) where our education was increased multiple-fold.  She came through like the Star she is and bag replacement is now almost routine.

Again, many thanks for all the support on this board - it is amazing that total strangers take the time to support me - I truly believe you all have made a big difference in keeping my outlook positive.  By the way, I got my blood group/type report finally...I smiled a little when I saw that I'm "B Positive".

I'll update again around the end of the month or first week in October, when the final path might be clearer.

Well folks, since my last update I've been healing as best I can, however slowly. 

A leak test on the site of my surgery showed a small rupture that needs attention.  The best path forward is to have some surgical repairs done in early October.  It seems up to 20% of ileostomy patients suffer this minor setback.  It's a bit like a blister on a bicycle wheel...need to reduce and eliminate it rather than seal it off with packing.

It is a small procedure conducted on an outpatient basis...in at 7am and home well before lunch.

It will take several weeks to heal, so the next leak test will be around mid-November.  If healed 100%, we can look forward to the ileostomy reversal surgery in late November...if not the repair procedure will be repeated as often as necessary, although the surgeon says it is very rare to need more than two repairs.  A second repair will put the reversal surgery very close to year's end.  I'd be happy with that even...I look forward to bidding farewell to 2020, as I'm sure most of the world does as well.

The most important thing is that the reversal surgery will not take place until I'm absolutely 100% ready for it.  The best way to describe it is that my return to full health has been deferred for a few weeks - it's still gonna happen though.

So, I'll keep the ileostomy bag for another two months minimum, which is okay with us now that we have become almost competent in managing all phases of controlling it.

Weight is coming back up...I've put back about 15 of the over 30 pounds lost in early August.  All blood levels are back to well above the low levels of normal range in all categories. 

The surgeon and oncologist are very pleased with my progress, aside from the little repair needed.  For the first time in my adult life I'm encouraged to eat more, with emphasis on protein...not a problem.

Thanks again for all the messages of support.  I'm feeling great and will update again near the end of October.

ziggy90

Quote from: Ball Hopper on September 29, 2020, 06:30:52 AM

Six weeks after surgery and I've finally started to regain a few of the 30 pounds weight that I lost in the first half of August.

The surgery site has one area not healing at the same rate as the rest...remedies include waiting a month to see if it catches up and then do the ileostomy reversal surgery - or do some surgical repairs in the next few weeks which will delay the reversal surgery till December.  Either way is fine with me - the key being the reversal surgery will not take place until the surgery site is 100% ready for traffic.

Diet is good, sleep is good although the bag requires emptying every 2-3 hours, but I'm getting good restorative sleep in between, plus an afternoon nap always helps.

Overall I'm feeling pretty good at this stage, and anytime my attitude begins to weaken, I just have to look at the pathology report on the desk beside the computer that says I'm cancer free - amazing how much just glancing at the report perks me up - I don't even have to read any part of it.

It would also be remiss of me not to mention Mrs. Hopper - for a person who would be almost sick watching medical shows on TV last year, she has really come through for me.  There were a few instances when the bag required unscheduled replacement, combined with a low blood pressure event (leading to me fainting in the shower) where our education was increased multiple-fold.  She came through like the Star she is and bag replacement is now almost routine.

Again, many thanks for all the support on this board - it is amazing that total strangers take the time to support me - I truly believe you all have made a big difference in keeping my outlook positive.  By the way, I got my blood group/type report finally...I smiled a little when I saw that I'm "B Positive".

I'll update again around the end of the month or first week in October, when the final path might be clearer.

Well folks, since my last update I've been healing as best I can, however slowly. 

A leak test on the site of my surgery showed a small rupture that needs attention.  The best path forward is to have some surgical repairs done in early October.  It seems up to 20% of ileostomy patients suffer this minor setback.  It's a bit like a blister on a bicycle wheel...need to reduce and eliminate it rather than seal it off with packing.

It is a small procedure conducted on an outpatient basis...in at 7am and home well before lunch.

It will take several weeks to heal, so the next leak test will be around mid-November.  If healed 100%, we can look forward to the ileostomy reversal surgery in late November...if not the repair procedure will be repeated as often as necessary, although the surgeon says it is very rare to need more than two repairs.  A second repair will put the reversal surgery very close to year's end.  I'd be happy with that even...I look forward to bidding farewell to 2020, as I'm sure most of the world does as well.

The most important thing is that the reversal surgery will not take place until I'm absolutely 100% ready for it.  The best way to describe it is that my return to full health has been deferred for a few weeks - it's still gonna happen though.

So, I'll keep the ileostomy bag for another two months minimum, which is okay with us now that we have become almost competent in managing all phases of controlling it.

Weight is coming back up...I've put back about 15 of the over 30 pounds lost in early August.  All blood levels are back to well above the low levels of normal range in all categories. 

The surgeon and oncologist are very pleased with my progress, aside from the little repair needed.  For the first time in my adult life I'm encouraged to eat more, with emphasis on protein...not a problem.

Thanks again for all the messages of support.  I'm feeling great and will update again near the end of October.
KRO BH. Great news.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ziggy90

Great news BH.
KRO.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Taylor

Keep fighting BH.
An inspiration

Ball Hopper

Hi all,

Not much to report since my last September update.  Weight and blood pressure are both good – I have gained back 15 of the 30 or so pounds I lost in August and feel I am at what should be my correct weight at this time. 

No doubt, the ileostomy reversal surgery will set me back a bit, but nowhere near the last surgery.  For starters, the reversal surgery is about 90 minutes, versus the eight-and-a-half-hour marathon surgery in early August.  I'm also in better shape, just by being further along from the chemo and radiation treatments that ended in late May.

All blood tests show me well above the lower range of normal for every test, which is great news.  Glucose is coming down slowly with the 3-month test in the normal range for me.

The area where the leak showed up was repaired on 9 October under general anesthetic and I was home by 1pm.  No stitching was required, but a small drain was inserted to help close up the pouch-like area that had formed.  Along with some treatment to promote scarring in the area, which forms the seal, the surgeon felt things went very well.

The drain was removed this week and I must wait 4 weeks to allow the gap left by the drain to scar over and be watertight.  That puts the next leak test in late November and, if all goes to plan, the reversal surgery will happen in early December.

If there is failure on the leak test, necessary repairs will be carried out again and the reversal surgery will slip into 2021, but the surgeon is very confident that the late November leak test will be successful.

In the meantime, I'm back walking every day for about a mile and a half at the moment and will up that to two miles a day next week.  This will greatly help me be as fit as I can be for the reversal surgery which will help for a shorter hospital stay and a quicker recovery thereafter.  Plenty protein in my diet will help as well.

Again, many thanks for all your support – it really does help knowing you are all with me on this journey.

Next update should be after the leak test in late November.  Best wishes to everybody till then!

Edit: I'll continue to have the ileostomy bag until the reversal surgery.  Needs to be emptied about 8 times a day and changed out completely twice a week.  We've become so used to it over the last 3 months that I forgot to mention it here. 

Milltown Row2

Great stuff Hopper, this is one place that is so positive on this board its hard not to take huge encouragement from your experiences.

My dad had a break from the chemo for a couple of weeks, was draining him to the point that I was really worried he'd not get through the weekend...

They gave him a blood transfusion which completely changed how he was, his appetite came back the energy levels are up, colour back in his face along with an upbeat feeling in my parents house.

Keep up the work on that fitness Hopper, hopefully that walk will result in a shuffle to a run soon

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Fantastic BH.

This is the one thread I look forward to being updated by you.

Keep at it

CitySlicker11

Very informative posts, an inspiration.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Jeepers Creepers

Sweet to the beat BH! Always good to hear your updates!