Tír Eoghain vs Cill Dara NFL 2008

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, January 13, 2008, 09:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Way too early for the post mortem lads, we don't have a corpse yet, much less rigor mortis having set in. Suffice it to say at this point that improvements must be made, and in the management we'll place our unbounded faith  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

FoSB, the post mortem has confirmed that the decline began here.

In 2003 we knew we had a side capable of taking the title.
In 2005 we knew we had a side capable of taking the title.
In 2008, we have a forward unit that will put the fear into few inter-county sides.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

corn02

May I ask why you pinpointed that match ONeill, a league match with very little significance I would of thought? I know it was a violent game but did that impact on the side?

ONeill

Tyrone had an almost full strength team out that day, the first post PC game.

P McConnell,
R McMenamin, C Gormley, M McGee,
D Harte, C Gourley, D Carlin,
B Meenan, C Holmes,
R Mulgrew, G Cavlan, S Cavanagh,
R Mellon, S O'Neill, O Mulligan.

Dublin set the marker for how to deal with this Tyrone side - later that year we exited the Championship and relinguished Sam with a similar display from Laois - low-scoring and mighty physical (as was the Derry Championship game).

corn02

armaghniac

Kildare traditionally play great stuff in February, and disappear totally as the days get longer. So it is hard to draw a conclusion from a game like this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bigpaul

I think you may be overstating the importance of that match ONeill, just as everything about that match was overstated in the aftermath! The three Armagh matches the previous year were just about as physical and as intense as it is possible to get in the modern game. Tyrone's first league match in '04 was also against Dublin, in Parnell Park, it actually wasn't an awful lot different to the game you mention, Dublin also ran out winners by a point! I have my own views and do think that this Tyrone team's best days are behind them, but will hold the obituary for a few years yet! This time last year the whole of Tyrone were starting to ponder the scramble for All-Ireland tickets on the back of a victory over an unfit Dublin in the first round of the league! Although I believe their best is behind them, their best might not be needed to achieve something.

ONeill

I disagree - the 04 game was in Tyrone's hands until O'Neill got the line. It was evenly matched and Dublin, who won by one point, by no means outmuscled or outfought Tyrone.

Tyrone haven't won a championship match outside of Ulster since 2005.

tyroneman

QuoteYou are some man going on about McGeeney's influence Tyroneman

You telling me Kildare were always that cynical and dirty then????????

Baile an tuaigh

My view is Tyrone management aren't going to sicken the players with too much football at this time of the year and I'm' sure they are doing a lot of experimenting. Who wants the Mc Kenna cup really its all about Sam. It will give them ample time to gradually up the anti as the year progresses. Good to keep players fresh if possable before launching the big assult. If Tyrone can get it right they won't be too far a way at the end of the year. The talent is there. I'm actually glad to see them start sluggish you learn more about your weaknesses as well also if teams think your gone of the boil they wont be prepared as well for the wrath to come. ;)

Tyrone Dreamer

Its easy for boys like o'neill to be experts when they dont actually go to the games. Tyrone may have only scored 7 points the other night but for all o'neill knows the pitch could have been like a swimming pool with a 100mph wind blowing across the pitch.

rrhf

I said it before and Ill say it again.  Tyrone havent got the stuff this year.  We are all conductors and no orchestra.  No forwards = No scores.  Mulligan is our biggest hope this year, and he seems to have lost a lot of weight and was very unlucky with that last free.  Hub had a good first 15 and was anonymous after., has maybe had one good game from 2003.  Mellon and Cavanagh,?  Mulgrew was awful.  Our corner men will not count any further down the line as well. I would respectfully ask our footballers not to wave to linemen during the game with the hands in the air.  its embarassing your supporters.  I didnt think the loss of the 2 best forwards in Tyrone would be felt so early.  Its going to be a short year for Tyrone and looking ahead to next year.  Wheres the forwards,  Mc Ginn gone.  The most important man in Tyrone football in Stevie O Neill, nothing else matters.

ONeill

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 04, 2008, 08:45:31 AM
Its easy for boys like o'neill to be experts when they dont actually go to the games. Tyrone may have only scored 7 points the other night but for all o'neill knows the pitch could have been like a swimming pool with a 100mph wind blowing across the pitch.

Do you understand what a discussion board is?

No one here is an expert but everyone can have an opinion. My history teacher definitely didn't fight in the second world war but he was a damn good teacher on that subject.

rrhf

Wrong there were a few mistakes - VD day as opposed to VE day.

ONeill

Fair point, and I haven't heard of homo sapien sapiens since.