I see Paddy Kielty has been found out...

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, September 21, 2007, 01:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Saw Paddy in Omagh last year, whilst on tour. Didn't think he was that funny. In fact, very few in the audience did. I was chatting to one of the Tyrone players afterwards and he wasn't impressed either.

Alternative, my English and Welsh friends that saw him in London, thought he was brilliant and up there with the best of them. I guess Paddy's humour and devolved into English humour ;)
Testing Accessibility

rosnarun

why is it funny to make a joke od 2000 people killed in america on sept 11 or in a land slide in pakistan or half of africa starving or indeed alan quirke and not funny about maddy mccann ?would it  is because shes cute and white. or have the english rags ordained this a subject not to be laughed at  by the peasants

QuoteI was chatting to one of the Tyrone players afterwards and he wasn't impressed either.
that finishes that argument them
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

nifan

rosnarun - rodney marsh got sacked for a joke which was more at the expense of david beckham, because it referenced the tsunami a couple of years back.

Hurler on the Bitch

There is black humour - say 9/11 (one about Murphy's Builders getting the contract to rebuild the towers by telling the owners - when asked how long it would take to do the work - that they would fly through it in a few weeks) - fact is that those jokes are not personalising the tragedy (nor the individual suffering ..  the Troubles - lets be truthful there were sick jokes flying around told only by one side about the other side.. (Mountbatten etc) - didn't make them funny - just went to prove how sick a society we live in  ... the fact is though that some things are taboo and this madeline case in one of them... to personalise the horror that that child probably encountered is so wrong -

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: rosnarun on September 21, 2007, 02:37:43 PM
why is it funny to make a joke od 2000 people killed in america on sept 11 or in a land slide in pakistan or half of africa starving or indeed alan quirke and not funny about maddy mccann ?would it  is because shes cute and white. or have the english rags ordained this a subject not to be laughed at  by the peasants

QuoteI was chatting to one of the Tyrone players afterwards and he wasn't impressed either.
that finishes that argument them

who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Hardy

Found out? What's to find out? We always knew he was as funny as ripe haemorrhoids.

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 21, 2007, 01:54:11 PM
QuoteOver the Bar - there is a thin line between funny and tragic - Kielty crossed it

Name me any decent comedian who doesnt make light of tragic situations?

peter kay

ziggysego

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on September 21, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 21, 2007, 01:54:11 PM
QuoteOver the Bar - there is a thin line between funny and tragic - Kielty crossed it

Name me any decent comedian who doesnt make light of tragic situations?

peter kay

Don't you think family weddings can be tragic? Peter Kay's wedding sound like they are anyway.
Testing Accessibility

southdown

Quote from: ziggysego on September 21, 2007, 02:30:00 PM
Saw Paddy in Omagh last year, whilst on tour. Didn't think he was that funny. In fact, very few in the audience did. I was chatting to one of the Tyrone players afterwards and he wasn't impressed either.

Alternative, my English and Welsh friends that saw him in London, thought he was brilliant and up there with the best of them. I guess Paddy's humour and devolved into English humour ;)

Well if a Tyrone player thinks Kielty is no good then it must be gospel!  Maybe there was a reference to dogs?

Solomon Kane

The man is a tube who hasn't even been close to funny since he started touching his toes for the TV companies. His delivery of material and timing is absolutely pathetic - the worst I have ever seen.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Solomon Kane on September 22, 2007, 11:38:46 AM
The man is a tube who hasn't even been close to funny since he started touching his toes for the TV companies. His delivery of material and timing is absolutely pathetic - the worst I have ever seen.
Agree! And he stops to laugh at himself  ::)

He was lucky to get out of dundalk a few years ago after making fun of the Corrs.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

theskull1

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on September 21, 2007, 01:52:19 PM
Over the Bar - there is a thin line between funny and tragic - Kielty crossed it .. I said about the Billy Connolly quip about Ken Bigley - he should have known better also! Fact is the 'Maddy' case is not funny - and when you think about it - either is PK..

When you consider the death and destruction America is bringing to the planet and the lives they are ruining so that they can control the oil dollars, a little blond haired three year old doesn't mean as much to be as it seems to mean to you sanctimonious lot. Youse really have been bought in by the media imagery!!! If she was an ugly black three year old then I a can guarantee you would not have bat an eyelid to it as you would not have had to read anywhere near the same amount of print or have been sucked in by her cuteness.

But the fact still remains that Tragedies happen every day and to some people far enough away from those tragedies will find jokes about that tragedy funny. Is PK (who I personally wouldn't pay money to go an see) the first comedian to think of this formula?....I don't think so

I personally like comedians who attack the social norms, using humor as a vehicle to get the important points across. For me Bill Hick was the best satirist of all time and was so because he offended the sanctamonious who needed to be attacked (Governments, Media, Pro Life People, Christains, Non smokers, etc etc)

Get over it

PS

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 22, 2007, 12:30:10 PM
He was lucky to get out of dundalk a few years ago after making fun of the Corrs.

Case in point POG. A few mile up the road and it would have been funny because the audience wouldn't have had the same affinity with the subject matter
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

balladmaker

Kielty should have stayed in the Empire on a Tuesday night, that was when he was at his best.  But times have changed and his jokes are no longer as funny as they once were.

Watching the Late late last night, I was cringing watching that f**ker Jimmy Carr....personally, I can't understand how anyone finds him remotely funny, but he has managed to sell out the Olympia for 3 nights, so he is doing something right.   

As for Irish comedians at present, I think Tommy Tiernan is head and shoulders above the rest.

gerry

QuoteWell if a Tyrone player thinks Kielty is no good then it must be gospel!  Maybe there was a reference to dogs?

:D :D :D
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,