Best Stand-up Comedian

Started by Orior, November 06, 2010, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

I would go to an awful lot of comedy events and the best gig I was ever at Dara O'Briain on the tour called "the tour that was almost called the you had to be the tour" or a similar name.  Its the tour he writes about in his book called tickling the english.  Ive seen him since and whilst good hes never lived up to that night,

Other events that deserve mention for being surprisingly good

Lee Mack

Adam Hills

Micheal McIntyre

Eddie Izzard

On the other hand the worst shows Ive ever been at were

Billy Connolly

Bill Bailey

and the only one I ve ever wanted to leave early Frankie Boyle

Ive got Sean Locke and Dara in the next 4 days so all may change again.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hoof Hearted

Cant believe no-one mentioned John Bishop
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BennyHarp

I've seen John Bishop live and was very disappointed, he tried to interact with audience but wasn't good enough to stray from his material, so it resulted in a lot of him standing there pretending to laugh and stuttering while he thought what to say next! I personally found it very uncomfortable to watch! Best I've seen live must be Dara o briain or Sean Locke. And anyone who would want to walk out early on Frankie Boyle plainly doesn't get him and shouldn't have went in the first place.
That was never a square ball!!

Newbridge Exile

Anyone seen Sean Lock live , he's funny on QI and 8 out of 10 just wondering what his stand ups like?

BennyHarp

I went to see him last month, he was very good, alot of audience interaction and off the cuff jokes!
That was never a square ball!!

ziggysego

Quote from: David McKeown on November 06, 2010, 08:17:00 AM
I would go to an awful lot of comedy events and the best gig I was ever at Dara O'Briain on the tour called "the tour that was almost called the you had to be the tour" or a similar name.  Its the tour he writes about in his book called tickling the english.  Ive seen him since and whilst good hes never lived up to that night,

Other events that deserve mention for being surprisingly good

Adam Hills

True story and one that can be verified by several board members here.

During the summer, I was supposed to star in a reality television show where Adam Hills would come to live with me. He was going to shadow me, as I went about my life. You know, football matches, the pub / nightclub, Mass, work and everything I'd normally be up to.

I was a BBC show, produced by Mind the Gap Productions. It was all set to happen, but my health took a turn (as some of you may be aware of) and I had to pull out of the show.

D'oh!
Testing Accessibility

Carmen Stateside

mylestheslasher

Bill hicks, if Ye have not heard him he's got cds & dvds out there. A comedy genius. Have to say of the modern comedians its tommy tiernan, dara o Brian and Michael mcintyre that are my favourites.

mournerambler

I don't see anything stating that the person has to be still alive, therefore I think there is only one who fits the bill for me & that's the legendary Dave Allen.

gerrykeegan

Just talking about Dave Allen last night, we were trying to teach our boy to read the time and I thought of this sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5P6GcUC4s
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

isourboydownyet

i watched joan rivers on graham norton last night and she had me in fits,lets just say she doesnt beat about the bush and calls it exactly how it is.

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 06, 2010, 02:00:46 PM
Just talking about Dave Allen last night, we were trying to teach our boy to read the time and I thought of this sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5P6GcUC4s

Genius. This one should have been shown to every Irish person in and around 2004, hard to believe it is 17 years old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5y_gE1Rb1Y&feature=related

David McKeown

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 06, 2010, 09:21:20 AM
I've seen John Bishop live and was very disappointed, he tried to interact with audience but wasn't good enough to stray from his material, so it resulted in a lot of him standing there pretending to laugh and stuttering while he thought what to say next! I personally found it very uncomfortable to watch! Best I've seen live must be Dara o briain or Sean Locke. And anyone who would want to walk out early on Frankie Boyle plainly doesn't get him and shouldn't have went in the first place.

A lot of his audience that night mustnt have gotten him either because there were an awful lot of empty seats after the interval.  He just wasnt funny that night at all and couldnt handle heckles so just resorted to say f off rather than trying toward the end very poor indeed
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner