Canice Picklington - A Kilkenny Hurling Legend Speaks

Started by Sidney, October 28, 2013, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

He's the man that makes the greatest team of all-time tick. A man with a reputation for being one of the game's real characters. Considered by some to be the most naturally talented hurler of all-time, Kilkenny's Canice Picklington is a folk hero in his native county. Today the now nine-times All-Ireland medallist talks exclusively to me about what makes the man behind the face mask, just a few days after after a trademark Picklington performance put paid to Galway's hopes of winning back the McCarthy Cup.

And as I'm sure you'll agree, he has some very interesting things to say.

Me: Tell us a bit about yourself Canice:

Canice: Ah there wouldn't really be too much to tell now. I'm a hurling man, I suppose.

Me: Tell us a bit about your family:

Canice: Ah yeah, myself and Rachel have been married for five years now. We're very happy with what we have. All the lads went to the wedding and they made a guard of honour with hurleys, which was a nice touch, as we all play hurling, like. Rachel goes out to a neighbour's house in the evenings a lot. She doesn't tell me what she's doing but I suppose everybody is entitled to their little secrets. That gives me time to stay at home and mind our three kids, Harry, Janice and Canice Junior.

Me: Do you enjoy music?

Canice: I like a bit of Coldplay. They're a very good band. The Script as well, it's good to see an Irish band doing well as it's good for the country. And of course U2, they're great for the country too and I really respect Bono for all his charity work.

Me: Have you any hobbies?

Canice: Hurling I suppose. 'Tis difficult to get time to do much else. I like to relax by watching a bit of television. Grey's Anatomy is very good, and Friends, I think that's very funny, especially Joey. I love films as well.  I have a DVD of The Shawshank Redemption. I've seen it ten times now. Brian Cody gave me a lend of Nightmare on Elm Street but I haven't seen it yet. It's supposed to be very good.

Me: What do you work at?

Canice: I work inside in the city selling agricultural insurance. It's important to have insurance as you can never be too careful about things that can happen. I'd help out the odd time at my father TJ's farm as well. My brothers Walter, Henry, Nigel and PJ help out too. It keeps you grounded. The job is good because they give me a car. It's a silver Toyota Yaris. Rachel has a silver Yaris too. 'Tis a lovely car. I think I'll get another silver Yaris when I'm finished with this one.

Me: What's your favourite colour?:

Canice: Jeez, that's a good question. I suppose I'd have to say black or amber because they're the Kilkenny colours. Although I like green as well because it reminds me of the green grass of a hurling pitch.

Me; Do you follow any other sports?

Canice: Ah, I wouldn't have much time now, I suppose, but I'd watch the odd rugby match. I like to see the Irish teams do well as it's good for the country.

Me: Do you take an interest in politics?

Canice: Ah I wouldn't have any strong views, I suppose, although I've great time for our local TDs here, and I'd always be willing to help out if Phil Hogan or John McGuinness needed a bit of a hand. Phil is a good hurling man, although he says he doesn't have the time to get to many matches these days, and I'd never see him stuck. He was talking to me recently about the European referendum which is coming up in a couple of months and asked if I'd be able to say a few words in support of it for a video the government is putting together. I don't really know very much about it, but I was glad to say yes, as it's very important for the country, I suppose.

I've been sounded out about carrying the torch for the Commonwealth Games when it passes through Kilkenny in a couple of years time. I'd like to do that as it sounds interesting. The Queen was a very nice woman too when I met her last year.

Me: Have you any superstitions on match day?

Canice: Ah yeah, I suppose I'd always go to mass, like. Even though I'm Church of Ireland, I always like to go to mass as it's good luck. I always wear the black glove that DJ gave me after he retired on my left hand as well.

Me: What's the toughest match you've ever played?

Canice: Definitely any of the A v B games in training. Savage intensity, like.

Me: With the drawn game against Galway level in the dying minutes, was Henry right to go for a point from the penalty?

Canice: Ah, yeah, I think so, like. I'd always be of the opinion that you should take the points and the goals will come.

Me: Tell us a bit about the rest of the Kilkenny team:

Canice: Ah, I couldn't say too much about them, but they're all a great bunch of lads. There'd be some fierce characters I suppose. Welshy, Taggy, Cha and Jackie are all a good laugh and we have the craic together. People say we're dull but I can tell you that's definitely not the case. I mean I like to have the craic as much as anybody. I mean I had four pints on the Tuesday afternoon after the All-Ireland this year.

Me: I notice you refer to some other players by their nicknames. Have you got a nickname yourself?

Canice; No.

Me: What do you think of people who say that Kilkenny are the greatest team of all-time?

Canice: Ah that's not up to me to say, I suppose. 'Tis nice to get a bit of praise, but you can't let it go to your head. We know the bitter pain of defeat as much as anybody after losing to Cork in 1999. I suppose that's what drives us on. I mean you're only as good as your last game. There's always teams who have the ability to beat you.

Like, any time we play Wexford it's always a 50-50 game. Offaly too. Dublin have improved an awful lot. I suppose every game is 50-50. We don't have any time to think about it anyway as we have the club championship now which I know all the lads will be aiming to give a right go.

Me: Thanks, Canice. It's been rivetting.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

anglocelt39

Nice one, probably a bit out there for your genuine KK hurling bod
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hardy

Very good - well observed. I'd have had two or three of the "I suppose" in every answer, though.

rrhf

What are his views on Shinty, GPA, Lucozade sport or Super 11s?

Sidney

Quote from: rrhf on October 29, 2013, 11:12:45 AM
What are his views on Shinty, GPA, Lucozade sport or Super 11s?
Canice likes the shinty and played in the international rules series against Scotland a couple of times, which he really enjoyed, as it gave him an oppurtunity to speak to players from weaker counties, and even have a couple of pints with them. He'd have a great respect for the shinty lads as well and would like to try it if he ever got the chance.

Canice isn't a member of the GPA, but he has nothing against them. But he doesn't feel the need to get involved, as the Kilkenny team get very nice meals inside in Langton's after training and he thinks the team are taken care of very well. He didn't like when the Cork team rolled their socks down in the parade in the League final that time as he felt it was a bit disrespectful, but that's over 10 years ago now, and he'd have a great respect for Cork.

Canice likes his Club Orange and prefers it to Lucozade Sport. He does like a small bit of ordinary Lucozade an odd time, though, and he buys it occasionally as a treat for his kids.

Canice likes the Super 11s. He watches it an odd time on a Saturday morning and thinks it's a very good standard of rugby.

Sidney

2013 has been a strange year for Kilkenny hurling legend Canice Picklington. marked by injury problems, a new arrival and an unusually early exit from the championship. A few days after an All-Ireland final that for once, did not list his name in the programme, I caught up with him in that famous Kilkenny haunt, Langtons.

Me: Canice, it's great to talk to you again, although sadly this year hasn't been as successful for Kilkenny as usual. You've had a few injury problems over the last year?

Canice: "Ah yeah, it's been frustrating, I suppose. I suppose it all started when I played for the club the week after the All-Ireland last year and I tore my cruciate. I'd probably put it down to not being in top shape after the four pints I had on the Tuesday at the celebration. Then in the county semi-final I tore my other cruciate, which wasn't ideal. That meant I had a tough battle to play in the final, but I was fit to start thankfully, although we lost by 10 points and I had to go off after five minutes.

Then when the League came around in February, I tore my achilles in the first match against Tipp. That meant I was only able to go in corner forward for the rest of the League. But Cody said I was fine, and if he says it that's good enough for me. "

Me: That wasn't the end of the injuries, though?

Canice: "That's right. I broke my jaw trying to wrench a cracked metal band off the boss of one of my hurleys, and then I missed the first couple of matches of the championship as I was in getting a new hip, but Ger Hartmann said he'd have me right for the Tipp game and, fair play to him, he did.

I've been getting some treatment here in Kilkenny too. The doctor inside in St. Luke's told me not to play if I wanted to walk again, but I told him he must be confusing me with somebody else, as I've never been sent off."

Me: That Tipp game in Nowlan Park must have been a special occasion?

Canice: "Ah, it was, I suppose. It was unreal. Definitely the best atmosphere of any match I've ever played in, and playing it inside in the Park made it extra-special. There was no way we were going to lose that night. We've the best supporters in Ireland and we didn't want to let them down. The intensity was up there with some our A v B games in training. Savage."

Me: There must have been real optimism that you could go all the way after that night, but it wasn't to be as Cork beat you in the quarter-final.

Canice: "Ah yeah, I suppose we would have felt we were very hard done by this year, like, with Henry being sent off and all. There wasn't a dirty stroke in the game. It was good, manly stuff. There's no problem with the rules, there's no problem there, but that decision was awful unfair. We were enclosed in an envelope of dissatisfaction after it. "

Me: Did you watch the final between Cork and Clare?

Canice: "Ah, I didn't really have the heart to be watching it, to be honest. I saw bits of it later on, but we were having a club fundraiser here that afternoon so I was busy making roast beef and cucumber sandwiches. I heard it on the radio though - I thought DJ did a terrific job. He's a very good analyser."

Me: Who do you hope wins the replay now?

Canice: "Ah it wouldn't bother me too much now, but I suppose I'd like to see Cork win. It's always nice if you lose that the teams who beats you goes on to win it, and that's what we told the Cork players after the match in Thurles. "Go on and win it now". There would have always been great respect there between ourselves and Cork over the years, I suppose. A bit like with Wexford. Any match against either of them is always 50-50".

Me: There's been quite a change in the hurling landscape this year.

Canice: "Ah yeah, it's good to see these young teams like Clare and Dublin coming through, I suppose. It's good for the game to have more strong teams. There's good hurling people in every county. The more good teams, the merrier, I suppose".

Me: Clare look to be the coming team. Are you looking forward to taking them on next year?

Canice: "Yes, I suppose so. They've some really good young hurlers and we know all about them from the under-21 final last year when my cousin Lester was marking Tots O'Connell. I was discussing the merits of the under-21 championships with Brian Carthy there last week and we both agreed that it's great for bringing through the youth. 'Tis nice to see Antrim involved this year, as there's good hurlers in every county."

Me: There was a bit of controversy over the venue for that match, with Antrim threatening to pull out as they thought Thurles was an advantage to Clare. What do you think yourself?

Canice: "Ah, I can see Antrim's point, but I think Thurles is the right venue, as it's the home of hurling. I know there was talk of playing it up North in somewhere like Navan or Cavan, but they're football rather than hurling pitches and they're set up for football, so Thurles is definitely the best place for it. The sod on a football pitch doesn't suit hurling."

Me: It must have been a bit of a shock to the system to go out of the championship at the quarter-final stage, given that you're so used to being involved in All-Ireland finals?

Canice: "Ah, yeah, it's been kind of strange, alright, going out so early, but it means I've had time to catch up on hobbies and stuff. "

Me: What kind of hobbies have you had time to catch up on?

Canice: "Just hurling away with the club, like."

Me: It surely gave you time to catch up on your social life, given that you're away training so much during the year?

Canice: "I suppose I've been able to have the odd pint now that we're out of the championship, but the lads there in the pub would keep you in check. Some of the lads who'd drive down from Graiguehenry and Knockcharles, they'd be your worst critics, actually. If they saw you on your third pint they wouldn't be shy in letting you know what they thought of you. But they're our greatest supporters as well, and they know their hurling better than anybody."

Me: I hear you got to see "the Boss" after that defeat to Cork?

Canice: "Cody? No, I've seen enough of him already!"

Me: No, Bruce Springsteen.

Canice: "Oh, is that his nickname? Oh, right, sorry. Yeah, a few of us headed down to the Park that night, and it was very enjoyable, I suppose. 'Twas nice to be able to relax for once, although we were still feeling the pain of the defeat badly. I'd be more of a Coldplay fan, but an event like that is great for the area."

Me: A career in media may be on the cards, I'm hearing?

Canice: "Ah, I don't know about that, now. John Knox has sounded me out about doing a column in the Kilkenny People, and I said I'd think about it, as it's always nice to help out.

Barrie Henriques here on the local radio station KCLR has asked me if I'd consider doing a bit of co-commentary for some of the club championship matches when we're not playing, and I said I'd think about it as it's always nice to help out. I heard DJ commentating with Marty there during the match on Sunday and he was very good. If I could be half as good as that I'd be happy."

Me: You're clearly hugely devoted to your club and I'm told you've been putting something back in lately?

Canice: "Yeah, I'd be a big club man. Malcolm who's the chairman here asked me if I'd be interested in refereeing a few camogie matches recently, which I was happy to do, as there's a great refereeing tradition in the family here as my great grandfather the Reverend Timmy Picklington refereed the 1901 All-Ireland final. It's strange because I didn't think I'd enjoy it but it was actually very enjoyable - the standard was very good, and it's always nice to help out, I suppose"

Me: There's been a new arrival in the Picklington household since we last spoke?

Canice: "That's right. My wife Rachel had a son, George, there in May. We named him George after Rachel's father who died there three years ago. Rachel was delighted when William and Kate named their son George as well. as she's a big fan of Kate. I met the Queen two years ago and she was a very nice woman. Anyway, George's arrival means Harry, Janice and Canice Junior have somebody else to play with out on my father TJ's farm, which is great, especially during the summer when they get to run around in the wheat fields and see how the combine harvesters work."

Me: That's not the only change in your life since we last spoke. I hear?

Canice: "That's right. I would have got a new job now with Glanbia as a rep now and they gave me a new Toyota Yaris, which is a lovely car, the same as the previous one I drove. That was good because I like to have the one thing and stick to it."

Me: You've an eagerly anticpated book coming out for Christmas. "Canice Picklington - Hurling Man." That will be in a lot of hurling fans' stockings come Christmas morning, I imagine?

Canice: "That's right, myself and Brian Carthy are working on my autobiography at the moment. "

Me: Will you be letting us into the secrets of what makes a hurling legend like yourself?

Canice: "Ah, there's not much to tell, I suppose, but there should be some good stories in there. "

Me: Will you be laying bare what happens in the Kilkenny dressing room?

Canice: "Ah not really, like. But as I said, there's some good stories there - most of them are about Tommy Walsh doing impressions. He's some character. He can do loads of them - you should have seen the time he did Cody on the team holiday to Mauritius. The look on Cody's face was priceless. I'll never forget it. "

Me: Was it always an ambition of yours to tell your life story?

Canice: "No, not really, but Brian Carthy said I had an interesting story to tell, and that's nice to hear. I'd be a big fan of his radio work, he's a great journalist."

Me: Do you enjoy reading about sport?

Canice: "Yeah, I'd be a big reader about sport. I really like Rachel Wyse's columns in the Irish Independent. She really knows her stuff, especially about hurling, and it's great to see someone like her be so successful in England. It's good for the country, like. And of course I'd have to say I enjoyed Cody's book, otherwise he'd kill me."

Me: Did you fear Brian Cody might call it a day, especially given his recent health scare?

Canice: "No, never. I think Cody will go on forever, and we hope he does, and I know all hurling people will hope he does. He's great for the game, such a character."

Me: Did you consider that now might be the time to call it a day yourself?

Canice: "No, not really. Sure what else would I be doing with myself. Look it, you're only as good as your last game, and that tenth All-Ireland medal is what keeps driving me on.

Sure I'll keep going as long as the body will take it, and please God, it seems to be holding up well at the moment."

Me: Thanks for your time, as always, Canice.

"Canice Picklington - Hurling Man" by Canice Picklington and Brian Carthy, foreword by PM O'Sullivan, will be available in all good bookshops soon, priced at €30.99

ludermor

Sidney

Quote from: ludermor on October 29, 2013, 12:32:49 PM
Did Canice get caught up in any property deals?
That's a sore spot for the great man, or "St. Canice" as they call him down Noreside way.

Perhaps the book will reveal all.

anglocelt39

I think you've covered most of Canices' characteristics pretty much to a T. Possibly one bit missing from 3 or 4 years ago when he was at the height of his inter county career................."..............sure we never were going to under estimate Laois/Offaly/Wexford/Antrim they've given us some serious competition over the years and exactly as we expected they came out and hurled some savage ball and were right on our tails up until the final three minutes when I suppose we got a few lucky breaks that you always need to come out on the right side of a 45 point winning margin mark my words these lads are on the way up and we'll have to stay right on the top of our game to stay with them with the savage work they're puttin in at underage level.............." or maybe that's the boss.

anglocelt39

Apologies Sidney just seen where you gave the "every game is 50/50 bit a rattle". Great effort all round

Premier Emperor

Excellent!  ;D
Kilkenny = The most boring people in Ireland.

muppet

How does Canice feel about being nominated for an All-Star for a record 16th time?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

What does Canice think about the standard of hurling in Ulster?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

I'd say he has great respect for Ulster hurling people.
If you were any use you'd be playing.