The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gawa316

Quote from: cadhlancian on October 04, 2015, 11:13:49 PM
Lads, if he hadn't inherited Suarez , he'd have been gone 2 years ago. Fair comment?

Kenny had him as well and we were awful. He needs some praise for getting the best out of him I reckon.

ashman

Quote from: gawa316 on October 04, 2015, 11:27:24 PM
Lads, if he hadn't inherited Suarez , he'd have been gone 2 years ago. Fair comment?

Kenny had him as well and we were awful. He needs some praise for getting the best out of him I reckon.
[/quote

Ffs Suarez is the third best player in the world (IMHO) .  How does BR deserve credit for getting the best out of him ????

T Fearon

Laughing at Liverpool supposedly landing Klopp or Ancelotti😂😂😂.Theyre more Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis.

GJL

Some papers reporting that Klopp deal done.

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2015, 11:39:28 PM
Laughing at Liverpool supposedly landing Klopp or Ancelotti😂😂😂.Theyre more Sam Allardyce or Tony Pulis.

As opposed to tactical mastermind Pochetinno???

Twas good to see Harry Kane back on the scoresheet where he belongs ... Oh wait!!!

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on October 04, 2015, 11:39:28 PM

Tony,
Discretion is the better part etc etc

People in glass houses

So the most interesting comment was Carragher, we risk becoming Tottenham, thinking we are a Big relevant club, when no one else really cares what we do and it doesn't affect them whatsoever...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gawa316

Quote from: ashman on October 04, 2015, 11:31:57 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on October 04, 2015, 11:27:24 PM

[/quote

Ffs Suarez is the third best player in the world (IMHO) .  How does BR deserve credit for getting the best out of him ????

Was he the 3rd best player when BR took over? He scored 17 goals in Kenny's last season, then up to 30 and 31 in BR's 2 seasons.

laoislad

I agree with gawa316. Rodgers has to get credit for that season. It wasn't just the Suarez show as the whole team were on fire and as the manager he has to have had a part in that.
Its very lazy to just say it was because of Suarez alone.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Two Hands FFS

Of course Rodgers deserves credit for how Suarez played in that time. The football Liverpool played at times was sublime, the best I've ever seen. But last season was poor, and a poor enough start too. It was time for a change.

I'd get rid of Ian Ayre and the transfer committee too. No-one truly knows how big a part the committee played in the transfers. I don't think Rodgers wanted Balotelli for a start.

deiseach

He survived the draw with Carlisle, but the draw with Everton was a humiliation too far.

Seriously, I would have thought he was safe for another game. The only logic I can think of is to use the international break as an opportunity to cleanse the stables. There are two obvious candidates, either of whom would be very popular. Shouldn't be too hard to get this right.

Right?

deiseach

Quote from: gawa316 on October 05, 2015, 04:25:33 AM
Was he the 3rd best player when BR took over? He scored 17 goals in Kenny's last season, then up to 30 and 31 in BR's 2 seasons.

Aye. Remember "he'd be really good if he could score a few goals"? Well, we were right.

deiseach

Quote from: laoislad on October 04, 2015, 07:33:26 PM
The games against Arsenal 5-1,Spurs 5-0,United 0-3 and the Man City game near the end of that season were great days.
I hope he does well in the future,he'll probably take over Chelsea and win everything win them!

4-0 over Everton was pretty sweet as well. I still smile at the memory of a lad on The Liverpool Way who said he played it 'too cool for school' when he went into work the day after, studiously ignoring everyone around him. Eventually one of his Blueshite colleagues cracked and asked him what he thought of the game. "Routine," he muttered without lifting his head from the screen.

Good times.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on October 05, 2015, 09:05:13 AM
He survived the draw with Carlisle, but the draw with Everton was a humiliation too far.

Seriously, I would have thought he was safe for another game. The only logic I can think of is to use the international break as an opportunity to cleanse the stables. There are two obvious candidates, either of whom would be very popular. Shouldn't be too hard to get this right.

Right?

I think the decision was made a few weeks ago. They've only win 3 games in 11 and 2 of those were the first 2 games of the league. I'd say they looked at things after the WHU game and said we'll give him a few more to see how it goes. The run of poor performances was dreadful. I'd say after Carlisle the decision was made.

I still believe there is the nucleus of a very good team. Get the right manager and playing system in and the players are there to push up to challenge for top 4. By doing it now they're giving themselves a bit of a chance.

Lecale2

My God he talked some sh*te!

Top 20 Quotes from Brendan Rodgers

20. "After that opening 10 or 15 minutes, when they had a bit too much space behind our midfield, it was the near-perfect away performance." (After losing 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg)

19. "The last 18 months we have been on a magic carpet ride of development but we still have a lot of growth to make."

18. "When we lost at Stoke last season I got home on Boxing Day night and family and guests were all around the house. I went straight upstairs to my room and didn't come out."

17. "The problem with being a manager is it's like trying to build an aircraft while it is flying."

16. "Joe Allen is one of the most courageous players I've seen."

15. "I am the same guy who nearly won us the league, but better. I think I have shown in the early stages of my management – without being arrogant – that with a talented group of players I can compete at the top end of the league."

14. "I use a quote with the players, "Per aspera ad astra", which is Latin for 'through adversity to the stars'."

13. "We play with 11 men, other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper."

12. "I started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings."

11. "I will leave no stone unturned in my quest – and that quest will be relentless."

10. "They don't have to sell. (Southampton) have a choice. Maybe Southampton's objectives have changed. They were looking to be a Champions League club, I believe." (Made in August 2014, with Liverpool finishing two points above Saints come May)

9. "I always say a squad is like a good meal. I'm not a great cook, but a good meal takes a wee bit of time. But also, to offer a good meal you need good ingredients."

8. "There are two points: the first is I don't feel any pressure, I can honestly say that. I have never felt anything other than secure." (Rodgers was sacked within an hour or so)

7. "I've always said that you can live without water for many days, but you can't live for a second without hope."

6. "I believe a young player will run through a barbed wire fence for you. An older player looks for a hole in the fence, he'll try and get his way through it some way, but the young player will fight for you."

5. "It's not just about training players, it's about educating players. You train dogs."

4. "When you've got the ball 65-70% of the time, it's a football death for the other team. We're not at that stage yet, but that's what we will get to. It's death by football. You just suck the life out of them."

3. "If you spend more than £100 million, you expect to be challenging for the league." (On Spurs after they sold Gareth Bale in 2013, spent £103million and finished 6th. Liverpool sold Luis Suarez the next summer, spent £117million and finished 6th)

2. "I think there's three players who will let us down this year — the cause, the fight, everything – and I have written them down already in these three envelopes. Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes."

1. "My biggest mentor is myself because I've had to study and that's been my biggest influence."