The Fine Gael thread

Started by Maguire01, October 16, 2012, 08:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2022, 05:45:28 PM
So is the Leo thing just going to he brushed under the carpet then? 

Mind the days politicians would have resigned for such shenanigans. Are people afraid to pull him because he's gay and they're afraid of getting themselves tied up in knots or is it more his mates in the media looking out for him?

Maybe people think he's entitled to a private life like the rest of us?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bennydorano

Quote from: Tubberman on December 13, 2022, 06:31:16 PM

Mind the days politicians would have resigned for such shenanigans. Are people afraid to pull him because he's gay and they're afraid of getting themselves tied up in knots or is it more his mates in the media looking out for him?

I'm wondering which rules don't apply to him, he deserves a skewering like any politician in a similar situation. It shows an absolutely shocking lack of judgement if nothing else. He's another one who thinks rules are for the plebs.

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2022, 07:01:21 PM

I'm wondering which rules don't apply to him, he deserves a skewering like any politician in a similar situation. It shows an absolutely shocking lack of judgement if nothing else. He's another one who thinks rules are for the plebs.
Rules against shifting now?

armaghniac

He was already a well known fornicator, it is all about Leo, not other people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tubberman

Quote from: armaghniac on December 13, 2022, 07:16:14 PM

He was already a well known fornicator, it is all about Leo, not other people.

What's all about Leo?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bennydorano

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 13, 2022, 07:02:30 PM

Rules against shifting now?
When you're married or partnered up there are yeah. Shift away but if you're caught .....

My sources in Dublin tell me some younger members of the Gay community are delighted to see him brought down a peg or two.

Snapchap

I see Fine Gael MEP Sean Kelly, a former president of the GAA - the largest All-Ireland association in the land - has taken to twitter to pay tribute to the DUP and to attack Mary Lou McDonald for speaking favourably about a United Ireland/border poll.

In the week after the British Government produced a Command Paper that was nothing but a love letter to the DUP and to unionism, which was openly contemptuous of Irishness, of Irish Unity and even went as far as to deny the existence of an All-Ireland economy, it's unsurprising but still absolutely galling from a northern nationalist perspective to hear such disgusting, partitionist commentary emanating yet again from an Irish Government figure - a government which, by right, we should be looking to to try to re-address the balance of the British Government's partisan, anti-nationalist rhetoric.

imtommygunn

Have to say I found that post he made pretty disgusting. Said the dup deserved credit for swallowing their pride after how long of leaving us with no government. Really really disappointed to see this from someone who tbh you hoped for a lot better from.

yellowcard

It was both surprising and disappointing that Sean Kelly, a former GAA president, seen fit to come out with those comments. It's like something you would have expected from Charlie Flanagan or John Bruton but it just shows how out of touch he actually is. Thankfully long gone are the days where we are not allowed to discuss the possibility of a border poll, even some Unionists are debating it.

Itchy

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 07:39:47 PMIt was both surprising and disappointing that Sean Kelly, a former GAA president, seen fit to come out with those comments. It's like something you would have expected from Charlie Flanagan or John Bruton but it just shows how out of touch he actually is. Thankfully long gone are the days where we are not allowed to discuss the possibility of a border poll, even some Unionists are debating it.

Not one bit surprising. A west brit all his life in disguise as a GAA man.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on February 06, 2024, 11:57:58 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 07:39:47 PMIt was both surprising and disappointing that Sean Kelly, a former GAA president, seen fit to come out with those comments. It's like something you would have expected from Charlie Flanagan or John Bruton but it just shows how out of touch he actually is. Thankfully long gone are the days where we are not allowed to discuss the possibility of a border poll, even some Unionists are debating it.

Not sure if harping on about the inevitable border poll to 'wind' up unionists is a good tactic in fairness. Its coming and allowing the unionist to get a dig in or "rally the troops" is not a good thing. SF have played a blinder at letting the DUP and the rest shoot themselves in the foot time and time again since becoming the biggest party, let that continue.

Was at our club a number of times while president and never came across as a West Brit, though not a politician at the time,  I would have spoke to him GAA wise enough through the brief occasions that we met, think he was A hurling Kerry man if memory serves me right.

He did manage to blagg myself and cousin into the the free bar in Croke Park on two occasions, so he's not all bad ;D 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2024, 12:47:30 PM

Not sure if harping on about the inevitable border poll to 'wind' up unionists is a good tactic in fairness. Its coming and allowing the unionist to get a dig in or "rally the troops" is not a good thing. SF have played a blinder at letting the DUP and the rest shoot themselves in the foot time and time again since becoming the biggest party, let that continue.

Was at our club a number of times while president and never came across as a West Brit, though not a politician at the time,  I would have spoke to him GAA wise enough through the brief occasions that we met, think he was A hurling Kerry man if memory serves me right.

He did manage to blagg myself and cousin into the the free bar in Croke Park on two occasions, so he's not all bad ;D 

Having aspirations of a UI are legitimate political views. The same as talking about safeguarding or copper-fasting our precious union. Unionists and others need to put on their big boy pants and debate it rather than saying it is hurting their feelings.

I have met Sean Kelly a good few times and he was nothing short of a gentleman every time. He is a great GAA man served the association very well through the Rugby / Soccer in Croke park debate.

Rossfan

Or just say they're not interested.
But Sunak and Donaldson have a cheek telling SF leaders not to mention border poll or United Ireland.
The GFA hasn't gone away you know chaps.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Brendan

Aren't there loads of West Brits in the GAA especially in the free state?

Itchy

Quote from: Brendan on February 06, 2024, 09:58:53 PM

Aren't there loads of West Brits in the GAA especially in the free state?

Where's the Free State?

Yes there are, but not as many as in the 6 counties.