The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Muck Savage on December 08, 2022, 09:39:18 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 08, 2022, 07:45:20 PM
Great prisoner swap by joe
A gun runner for someone with a small bottle of cannabis oil. The world is a safer place.
Yet the retired Marine who fought for his country is left behind, who has the 'no man left behind' slogan? His crime in the US eyes is he's a middle aged white guy, I'm sure Joe and his crew were worried about the cities burning if the marine came home and the basketball player was left behind.

Yeah, trump is trying to use that argument also but everyone can see through him bar right wing extremists. Even the marine's brother has tweeted to say that trump has mentioned the marine by name more often in the last 24 hours than his last 2 years in office when he actually had the opportunity to do something. Trump didn't care then and he doesn't care now, it's just a cheap shot to deflect from his persistent legal issues.

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2022, 09:16:01 AM
Always nice to dive into this thread every so often to feel the love among the expats
+1

J70

Quote from: Gmac on December 09, 2022, 08:44:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2022, 08:25:35 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 09, 2022, 02:59:53 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2022, 10:06:28 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on December 09, 2022, 04:28:34 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 08, 2022, 11:40:42 PM
Not to mention, they're still trying to free him.

Some serious miserable bastards on this thread.  A young woman who did nothing wrong was held as a captive for almost a year in a Russian prison, will now be coming home. 

But for some people, that's apparently bad news and reflects poorly on Biden.

The price was high, but if that's the best deal available, then so be it.

I'm guessing had Trump done this the reaction from our right-wing posters would be different.

Would you not want to sit down at the poker table with whoever negotiated this deal? A criminal all over the world for a pot head!

I voted for Obama 1.0, a man that did absolutely nothing for black people, so yeah, you're right I must be right wing.

So she should have been left to rot in a Russian prison?

One wonders how the right wingers would be reacting if she had been some pretty, blond white tennis star or whatever?

They'd have been up in arms for months over the fact that the administration wasn't getting her home.

Do you believe this was a good deal? An arms dealer for a pot user?
The rest of them are left to rot in jail as you put it. If you don't believe there was any thoughts about checking multiple boxes in choosing to bring home, Sports star, Black, LGBT, then you are very naive. Great, an American is home but the price tag on every American traveling just went way up.

Instead anyone who questions it is right wing, racist, queer hating

How are you going to get a "good" deal in a situation like this?

They were negotiating for months to try to get both of them.

It was either let them both rot over there or take Griner for now.

I stand by my contention about if it had been a pretty white girl. You only have to look at the contrasting coverage given when some young one goes missing. Biden would have been hammered nightly on it.
so  BLM are nowhere to be seen if a black girl goes missing your telling us ? Probably no chance to riot and loot or scam money off suckers in those circumstances.

Right, because you've been so vociferous over the corrupt scams the likes of Trump, Steve Bannon and the rest have been running with their bullshit fundraising, Mr "Jan 6 was just a walkthrough".

J70

Quote from: lenny on December 09, 2022, 11:02:49 PM
A gun runner for someone with a small bottle of cannabis oil. The world is a safer place.
Yet the retired Marine who fought for his country is left behind, who has the 'no man left behind' slogan? His crime in the US eyes is he's a middle aged white guy, I'm sure Joe and his crew were worried about the cities burning if the marine came home and the basketball player was left behind.

Yeah, trump is trying to use that argument also but everyone can see through him bar right wing extremists. Even the marine's brother has tweeted to say that trump has mentioned the marine by name more often in the last 24 hours than his last 2 years in office when he actually had the opportunity to do something. Trump didn't care then and he doesn't care now, it's just a cheap shot to deflect from his persistent legal issues.

And Gmac doesn't give a f**k about the marine either.

Just like the right wing hypocrites he gets his opinions from.

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2022, 02:07:30 AM

according to msnbc poor Britney's troubles are only beginning now as a black woman back living in America, they think she would be better off in the gulag .
in other news a lot of former twitter execs lied under oath to congress , time to file some charges .
Elon cleaning up the swamp

J70

Quote from: Gmac on December 10, 2022, 04:01:52 AM

according to msnbc poor Britney's troubles are only beginning now as a black woman back living in America, they think she would be better off in the gulag .
in other news a lot of former twitter execs lied under oath to congress , time to file some charges .

I guess they should have pled the fifth or even ignored the subpoenas and refused to show up like your political heroes.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2022, 10:57:02 AM

I guess they should have pled the fifth or even ignored the subpoenas and refused to show up like your political heroes.

J70

That was flat out election interference

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 10, 2022, 01:55:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2022, 10:57:02 AM

J70

That was flat out election interference

If it was, it didn't work very well, did it?

The story was everywhere.

I guess if one wanted to see Hunter's dick pics and spread them on their Twitter account, then maybe they might have cause for complaint.

Doesn't change my point though. The likes of Gmac thinks its perfectly fine for Trump and the right to obstruct, plead the fifth and outright ignore subpoenas, but adopts a different attitude when it comes to others.

whitey

Nothing to do with d-1-K pics but nice attempt at deflection

The son of a Presidential candidate getting Millions (if not Tens of Millions) of dollars in "consultancy fees" in industries he knows nothing about from countries that would be regarded as our adversaries........and you're okay with that?

Payments I may add that led among other things to 150+ Suspicious Activity reports being issued

https://www.newsweek.com/what-hunter-biden-accused-suspicious-activity-reports-explained-1760433?amp=1

But nothing to see here.....move along people

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 10, 2022, 02:28:37 PM

The son of a Presidential candidate getting Millions (if not Tens of Millions) of dollars in "consultancy fees" in industries he knows nothing about from countries that would be regarded as our adversaries........and you're okay with that?

Payments I may add that led among other things to 150+ Suspicious Activity reports being issued

https://www.newsweek.com/what-hunter-biden-accused-suspicious-activity-reports-explained-1760433?amp=1

You accuse me of deflection while in the very same post you attempt to change the subject and make a strawman argument?

We're not talking about Hunter Biden and his very American attempts to cash in on his political connections.

We're talking about whether Twitter was justified in hesitating (for one day) to allow the spread of a story the WSJ and even Fox News wouldn't break.

The dick pics are just another element of the supposed suppression the right wingers were whining about.

Gmac is upset because the Twitter execs supposedly lied to Congress about whether they censored this stuff. Yet he is perfectly fine with all the stuff the GOP does to obstruct and pervert justice.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 10, 2022, 02:47:41 PM
Quote from: whitey on December 10, 2022, 02:28:37 PM

You accuse me of deflection while in the very same post you attempt to change the subject and make a strawman argument?

We're not talking about Hunter Biden and his very American attempts to cash in on his political connections.

We're talking about whether Twitter was justified in hesitating (for one day) to allow the spread of a story the WSJ and even Fox News wouldn't break.

The dick pics are just another element of the supposed suppression the right wingers were whining about.

Gmac is upset because the Twitter execs supposedly lied to Congress about whether they censored this stuff. Yet he is perfectly fine with all the stuff the GOP does to obstruct and pervert justice.

I'm completely confused-are you saying that Twitter suppressed the story for one day and then let it rip

Are you saying that they muted conservatives for one day in the run up to the election, then unmuted them

Because I watched the Twitter execs testify under oath that conservatives were NOT suppressed

No we find out they were

And furthermore they were suppressed in the lead up to an election which by anyones definition should be seen as election interference

I'll let GMAC speak for himself

I'll ask you again-The son of a Presidential candidate getting Millions (if not Tens of Millions) of dollars in "consultancy fees" in industries he knows nothing about from countries that would be regarded as our adversaries........and you're okay with that?

And you're okay with Twitter suppressing the story and then lying to Congress about it?

Interesting

J70

They delayed the Hunter laptop story for a day. That was the big outrage last week. I expect much of the latest allegations will turn out to be similar levels of hyperbole and overpromising as most of the other stuff that drives the GOP outrage machine, but we'll see what happens.

On perjury, I think anyone guilty of that should suffer the consequences if it can be proven, as long as the GOP are held to the exact same standard.

As a general principle, I have absolutely NO problem with a private platform suppressing potentially libelous, false, bigoted or conspiracy theory content. If anything, they were very late to the show on this matter. And I thought conservatives were supposed to be all about free markets. They're always boasting about their utter domination of talk radio, where they take advantage of free public airwaves to spread their lies and bullshit unchallenged.

We've been through the Hunter Biden stuff before. I don't give two fucks about him, any more than you give two fucks about Jared Kushner's dealings with the Saudis or his wife's sweetheart deal with the Chinese or the Trumps general fleecing of the taxpayer or any of the other umpteen examples of corrupt hacks taking advantage of their connections. That I don't give two fucks about him also means that I have no issues with him being investigated and, if necessary, going to jail.

But this is all purely political. They all peddle influence and do under the table deals that put their own interests ahead of the public's. If Joe Biden wasn't president, the GOP wouldn't give a shit about Hunter Biden. It's this decade's version of Benghazi.

whitey

From my vantage point they suppressed a true story (Hunter Biden Laptop) and facilitated - false story (stories that claimed the laptop was Russian disinformation).

Both actions benefitted Democrats

I don't understand your claim that they "suppressed it for a day".....are you cherry picking one element of the story that was muted for a day?

What about the dozens of high profile conservatives who were promoting this story-were they just muted for a day?

Apples to bowling balls on the Hunter Biden/Kushner comparison

Hunter Biden would be passed out on the streets if it wasn't for his last name-he brought absolutely nothing to the table apart from influence peddling

The Kushners are an extremely wealthy and successful business family with decades long track record making money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdurot/2022/04/05/thrives-josh-kushner-the-other-brother-becomes-familys-first-billionaire/?sh=5fb0afcc8dbd

That being said, anyone who served in an administration should be prohibited from engaging in any business dealing like this for at least 10 years

J70

They DID suppress it for a day before the reversed course.

Did the fact that the WSJ and Fox News refused to break the story due to their doubts or that Giuliani acknowledged that there was a 50/50 chance he was being played by the Russians or the NY Post byline writers disowning it not help the Democrats too?

Or the fact that this was all a continuation of Trump's attempted blackmailing of Zelensky?

None of this happened in a vacuum. The massive skepticism of the story was absolutely earned. That it ultimately turned out to NOT be a crock of shit THIS time was their misfortune.

As for Hunter Biden and Kushner, your point is irrelevant. Its still all connected people using their, in this case, international political connections to line their own pockets. Hunter could have been lying on the street, of course, but there is no way in hell Jared Kushner gets that astronomical contract with the Saudis for an initial start up in a business in which he had zero experience without the potential influence he was able to sell. Parse the different examples all you want - its all still corruption.

I agree on the moratorium, but we both know there is absolutely zero chance of that every happening.

Gmac

There's was way more censorship going on at twitter than just the laptop story and all favoring one side of the argument, wonder what's happening with google and other search engines. Facebook have already admitted they censor at the behest of the FBI . So much more to come out .