Cavan v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, June 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

I hope the "malaise" of the Roscommon supporters infects the Roscommon team.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2015, 12:55:23 PM
Rossfan's never-ending tour of writing off players only to be proven spectacularly wrong seems to have lapped itself and now it's covering the same players yet again. How many times does a player have to prove himself to you exactly or do you just have the memory of a goldfish?
It's all about what you do in Summer and apart from the 2010 smash and grab we haven't been doing much since 2003.
Some players look great and do great in Spring but little Summer delivery.
I'd love it if they prove me wrong in May/June/ July/ Aug/ or whisper it September.....

Great description of Syfín on stolen sheep - " optimism of a 5 year old on Christmas Eve"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on July 03, 2015, 01:46:44 PM
Great description of Syfín on stolen sheep - " optimism of a 5 year old on Christmas Eve"

Good job he's not from Cavan, then. The Cavanman is well known to take the kids to see Santa's grave on Christmas Eve.

Itchy

Quote from: weareros on July 03, 2015, 01:49:59 PM

Good job he's not from Cavan, then. The Cavanman is well known to take the kids to see Santa's grave on Christmas Eve.

Hilarious, reading Niall Tobin joke book from 1986 again?

theyellowbus

Rossfan's never-ending tour of writing off players only to be proven spectacularly wrong seems to have lapped itself and now it's covering the same players yet again. How many times does a player have to prove himself to you exactly or do you just have the memory of a goldfish?
It's all about what you do in Summer and apart from the 2010 smash and grab we haven't been doing much since 2003.
I'd love it if they prove me wrong in May/June/ July/ Aug/ or whisper it September.....

There is nothing wrong with optimism but when will people start realising that the current crop of players (bar cregg,keenan,seanie and D Shine) have done very little in terms of progress in regards the championship.We have not beaten either Galway or Mayo in a Championship game in ages,our qualifier record since 2010 is poor and we have been harping on since 06 about our under age success and waiting for this Messiah of a team to come along from all the under age winning and bring us to the promised land.When are we going to start being realistic again and stop talking ourselves up as something we are not.
Players aren't at fault here.Its the fact that we were playing in the doldrums of Div 3 & 4 for so long as well as bar Fergal the appointment of some poor management.
I personally think that the current management has run its course and in fairness has us in a better position in relation to the league which we can try and develop and hopefully turn this team into a side that is hard nut to crack come championship.
I hope to god tomorrow is somewhat of a turning point in relation to this side come championship but I cannot see it.Even if we do win what guarantee is there with our recent record that we will perform in our next game.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: theyellowbus on July 03, 2015, 04:21:00 PM

There is nothing wrong with optimism but when will people start realising that the current crop of players (bar cregg,keenan,seanie and D Shine) have done very little in terms of progress in regards the championship.We have not beaten either Galway or Mayo in a Championship game in ages,our qualifier record since 2010 is poor and we have been harping on since 06 about our under age success and waiting for this Messiah of a team to come along from all the under age winning and bring us to the promised land.When are we going to start being realistic again and stop talking ourselves up as something we are not.
Players aren't at fault here.Its the fact that we were playing in the doldrums of Div 3 & 4 for so long as well as bar Fergal the appointment of some poor management.
I personally think that the current management has run its course and in fairness has us in a better position in relation to the league which we can try and develop and hopefully turn this team into a side that is hard nut to crack come championship.
I hope to god tomorrow is somewhat of a turning point in relation to this side come championship but I cannot see it.Even if we do win what guarantee is there with our recent record that we will perform in our next game.

Well said and in fairness to ye its only the one clown (no prizes for guessing who) who continues to hype the players up into something they aren't.

larryin89

Sure Ffs in fairness to syferus he is a rossie supporter , surely it's his role to find positives even when losing , otherwise what's the point ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Apparently it's been confirmed on Shannonside that Senan Kilbride, Diarmuid Murtagh, Niall Carty and Cathal Shine are all injured.

In the other direction Donie Shine, Kevin Higgins and Conor Daly are apparently fit to start. Donie and Kevin both have only saw limited time this year with serious injuries so it's questionable how sharp they can be. Still a bit of a boost because both are at positions where other injuries have taken out key players.

Have not got a clue what to expect tomorrow.

Shrewdness

With the amount of key injured Ros players, we'll be lucky to still be in this game by half tine.

cavanmaniac

I'm fully expecting at least three of the Roscommon team to play in jeans.

twohands!!!

Quote from: westbound on July 03, 2015, 10:55:28 AM
What happened to the Thursday rule, whereby you have to name the 26 for the game? Does that only force you to submit the 26 names to croke park and there is no obligation to publicly name the 26?

The rule is that the 26 players have to be provided to Croke Park by 9am on Thursday.

There is no obligation for counties to actually name teams at all now.

I think Croke Park should give simply tell county boards they have until 9am on Friday to release the the squad to the public or it will be posted on Gaa.ie

Also you heard a lot about it being a 21/26 man game now but yet the vast majority of county boards only "name" the 15 in the team and make no mention of the subs. Being a sub on an intercounty team can be thankless stuff especially when you are well down the pecking order, especially if you are on the fringes of the panel maybe 25th/26th and could be in for one game and out for another depending on injuries/fitness. Imagine what it's like for lads like this after a team is "announced" where only the starting 15 have been listed in terms of having to tell family, friends, work-makes, acquaintances whether they are in or out of the panel.

Kerry are the county that consistently lead the way in terms of the quality of their team announcements - Their announcement during the week listed the team, the subs, players who were injured (so not in contention) and the extended panel. The thing is they do the same for the U21, junior and minors. You go on other counties websites and you have to hunt around to find the starting 15 until a couple of hours before throw-in. It's something that costs nothing bar a tiny amount of time but shows that the full squad is recognised. For younger folk who live huge chunks of their life online, it must be a right pain to be getting messages after the official announcement which only lists 15 from folk asking them whether or not they made the subs bench. It's only a small thing but if you are slogging your guts out in training for months, being a model citizen in terms of doing your bit for the team when you have a good idea your chances of getting a shot are limited enough, to see the official team announcement and not see your name there must be a bit irksome.

Westside

Cavan team named.

Ray Galligan
Jason McLoughlin
James McEnroe
Killian Brady
Damien O'Reilly
Feargal Flanagan
Niall Murray
Gearoid McKiernan
Tomas Corr
Martin Reilly
Dara McVeety
Cian Mackey
Niall McDermott
Michael Argue
Ronan Flanagan

Killian Clarke and especially Rory Dunne are big losses to the team. Full back line for us may be a slight worry now without Rory. Strong team apart from that. Haven't won a televised game in over 2 years... Looking forward to this one.

giveballaghback

So its all true, no Senan, Cathal, Niall, Diarmuid only one togged but on bench, Harney also on bench whether its still injury or not I dont know, Cavan will never have a better chance, I am travelling in hope rather than confidence. Come on the Rossies.

The Black Mamba

Can anyone elaborate on the exact Roscommon team for today's game?

giveballaghback

Keenan and Murry are playing, Collins is full back, Ian k and Higgins mid f, D Smyth D shine C murtagh full for line, thats all I know along with last post.