27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

armaghniac

Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2024, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 09, 2024, 08:07:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2024, 06:20:57 PMhttps://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0508/1448043-mcguinness-looms-but-time-for-armagh-to-deliver/

Another "it's their time", "greater need" analysis.

Which I think is fair enough, but it's pressure.

Reminds me of Derry in 1993, when Tohill ploughed through the muck and the Donegal backs to drag them to the title and AI shot they felt they'd fail to grab the previous year, which is why I am a little worried about men like Rian O'Neill being particularly driven!

Will never know how big Tohill stayed on his feet throughout the game, men bouncing off him while all around him, both Derry and Donegal men were sliding and slipping all around him. Still the best individual performance I've ever seen.
Philly McMahon would have given the MotM to someone else if he was Co commentator  ;D

There shouldn't be muck on Sunday though, it will be dry before Sunday and while there will be some showers on Sunday it shouldn't be flooded (except around the back of the jacks).

No tickets on general sale. The last Ulster final between Armagh and Donegal in Croke Park had 50,000 odd, while the one before that had 67,000. In 2002, there were tickets on general sale.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

statto

Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2024, 10:43:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2024, 06:20:57 PMhttps://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0508/1448043-mcguinness-looms-but-time-for-armagh-to-deliver/

Reminds me of Derry in 1993, when Tohill ploughed through the muck and the Donegal backs to drag them to the title and AI shot they felt they'd fail to grab the previous year, which is why I am a little worried about men like Rian O'Neill being particularly driven!

Will never know how big Tohill stayed on his feet throughout the game, men bouncing off him while all around him, both Derry and Donegal men were sliding and slipping all around him. Still the best individual performance I've ever seen.
Philly McMahon would have given the MotM to someone else if he was Co commentator  ;D
on the losing team!

Armagh18

Hopefully Rian will finally live up to his ability and get us over the line in a big game.

Armaghs need is probably greater than Donegals, I'd put money on Donegal being in the final again next year regardless whereas we could struggle next year if we've another failure this time. How much that "greater need" will matter I'm not sure.

statto

Armagh team named be interesting to see if Geezer drops out one of the forwards for Jarly Og or Conor O'Neill if that is the case we can expect a slugfest like Monaghan last year and not the front foot football we suit best in my opinion. 

If the team named starts has a decent balance with McCabe dropping back as a plus one i would suspect. Rian in middle capable of scores plus 5 natural forwards up front and Mackin,Forker and McGrane have been doing their bit to help with the scoring burden.   

lurganblue

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 09, 2024, 11:57:09 PM

Hopefully Rian will finally live up to his ability and get us over the line in a big game.

Armaghs need is probably greater than Donegals, I'd put money on Donegal being in the final again next year regardless whereas we could struggle next year if we've another failure this time. How much that "greater need" will matter I'm not sure.

His score from distance v Monaghan really should have been that moment but I know what you mean.  I think I've accepted that he isnt going to be a prolific scorer but will be there in the big moments.

I will be surprised if this game is anything other than a game of chess for large parts. I'd be worried that if Armagh sit in and dont engage players in possession then we will be hurt by the runs of McHugh and Mogan. IMO McHugh should be tagged at all times, but I doubt that will happen.

Good to see McCabe is back for Armagh as he certainly adds solidity to the middle of the defence.

Armagh18

Quote from: statto on May 10, 2024, 08:55:10 AMArmagh team named be interesting to see if Geezer drops out one of the forwards for Jarly Og or Conor O'Neill if that is the case we can expect a slugfest like Monaghan last year and not the front foot football we suit best in my opinion. 

If the team named starts has a decent balance with McCabe dropping back as a plus one i would suspect. Rian in middle capable of scores plus 5 natural forwards up front and Mackin,Forker and McGrane have been doing their bit to help with the scoring burden.   
I'd have O'Neill in before Turbo in that team even though he is a defender I'd say he'll score more, he was excellent vs Donegal in Armagh in the league.

illdecide

I have this bad feeling in my stomach that this is going to be packed defenses and 15 men behind the ball with cross field passing until we're gonna pull our own hairs out. If this happens Armagh can do one, if i've to go back up that road again losing another close game thru defensive football I swear to f**k i'll crack. If we're gonna lose i'd rather have a go at them and play an entertaining  and enjoyable game of football. Take the shackles off and have a rattle at them!.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on May 10, 2024, 09:44:32 AMI have this bad feeling in my stomach that this is going to be packed defenses and 15 men behind the ball with cross field passing until we're gonna pull our own hairs out. If this happens Armagh can do one, if i've to go back up that road again losing another close game thru defensive football I swear to f**k i'll crack. If we're gonna lose i'd rather have a go at them and play an entertaining  and enjoyable game of football. Take the shackles off and have a rattle at them!.
100%.

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on May 10, 2024, 09:44:32 AMI have this bad feeling in my stomach that this is going to be packed defenses and 15 men behind the ball with cross field passing until we're gonna pull our own hairs out. If this happens Armagh can do one, if i've to go back up that road again losing another close game thru defensive football I swear to f**k i'll crack. If we're gonna lose i'd rather have a go at them and play an entertaining  and enjoyable game of football. Take the shackles off and have a rattle at them!.

fully agree with this

Armagh18

Said it before I remember after the Monaghan defeat in 2021 being disappointed obviously because we'd lost but not overly so given the performance and the fact that we gave away 4 silly goals and were still only beaten at the death. Compare that to Croker last year where we played like cowards as though an over the hill Monaghan team were peak Dublin.

If we play cowardly football again we'll most likely lose anyway, so we may as well have a proper cut at it.

Captain Scarlet

The thing I could not understand in Armagh v Down (and I only saw the 1st half) was that any time Armagh put any kind of pressure Down were rattled and coughed up turnovers. But they didn't do it for vast amounts of time.

In Kildare there will be a hope that Geezer might come back, but in all our time we didn't beat a solid Div 1 team when it mattered. It seems to be the same in Ulster for him. I was trying to check, but what is Geezer's Ulster record as it stands?

Like Donegal are not long on their new journey and if they win it, it's a bonus. Armagh seem to be coming towards the end, but there have been times already when it was said.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

With Kildare I honestly think you'd have won AI in 2010 (I think?) if that chance against Down at the end went in and didn't hit the bar (that was the sequence of events IIRC). I think you'd have beat Cork in the final.

J70

Same line-up again for Donegal except Patton is in the team. Wonder will he play?

No sign of Eoghan Ban or Conor O'Donnell back in the squad yet.

For all the rightful praise Patton got for the Derry match, Armagh did a number on him in that qualifier two years ago. We had been completely on top and playing our best football for a couple of years and then in the last ten minutes of the first half, Armagh squeezed up and won a few Donegal kick-outs, forced Patton to go short and then turned over three short kick outs in a row, resulting in a goal from a penalty (Patton black carded) and a couple of points if I remember correctly. Game was over there and then.

Blowitupref

Armagh

Blaine Hughes
Paddy Burns, Aaron McKay, Peter McGrane
Joe McElroy, Ciarán Mackin, Aidan Forker
Rian O'Neill, Ben Crealey
Stefan Campbell, Rory Grugan, Jarly Óg Burns
Oisín Conaty, Andrew Murnin, Conor Turbitt.

Subs: Ethan Rafferty, Barry McCambridge, Connaire Mackin, Conor O'Neill, Greg McCabe, Tiernan Kelly, Jason Duffy, Oisín O'Neill, Shane McPartlan, Aidan Nugent, Jemar Hall.

Donegal

Shaun Patton
Mark Curran, Brendan McCole, Ciarán Moore
Ryan McHugh, Caolan McGonagle, Peadar Mogan
Jason McGee, Michael Langan
Shane O'Donnell, Ciarán Thompson, Daire Ó Baoill
Paddy McBrearty, Oisín Gallen, Niall O'Donnell.

Subs: Gavin Mulreany, Kevin McGettigan, Stephen McMenamin, Odhran Doherty, Domhnall MacGiolla Bhríde, Jeaic MacCeallbhuí, Caolan McColgan, Jamie Brennan, Aaron Doherty, John Ross Molloy, Cathal MacAonghása.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tbrick18

I personally think its a mistake for Donegal to start McBrearty.
He's not the player he was, but would make a hell of an impact sub with 20 to go.

There's not an awful lot between the two, but I think Donegal edge it in terms of having better players overall. If they bring anywhere close to the same intensity they did to the Derry game, I don't see Armagh living with them for 70+ mins.

But it also wouldn't be a huge surprise if Armagh win it.
I wonder what the odds are for this to go to penalties? I almost hope it does to see how Armagh react.
I just hope its a good game to be honest.
I wish Derry were there going for 3 in a row so I am slightly jealous.