Derry v Mayo. Celtic Park. March 8th 2015.

Started by moysider, March 02, 2015, 11:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

A must win for Derry if they re going to stay in Div.1. I think they will get it. Their need is greater and we ve not done so good against Derry teams down the years. A win here and we d find it hard to avoid the dreaded semi-finals.
I have to say I don t understand Derry. Eoin Bradley, Chrissy McKeigue, Fergal Doherty, Mark Lynch, James Kielt are top players but seem to be missing a lot. Injuries?

rodney trotter

A few of those lads ( Bradley, Doherty and Kielt) were playing or came on against Tyrone i was reading. They missed the first 2 games. Lynch was suspended for that game. Chrissy McKaigue missing due to being with Slaughtneil.

Wildweasel74

Just blooding different players, probably make 7 or 8 changes again from the Tyrone game

macdanger2

We owe these derry wans a batin from 2010 and the sf last year

Farrandeelin

Playing Derry in Derry usually ends up bad for us.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

twohands!!!

Eoin Bradly is still involved with Glenavon which was why he only came off the bench in the Donegal and Kerry.

The reason he was able to start in the Tyrone game was Glenavon didnt have a game last weekend.

Glenavon have games on the weekends of the 7th, 14th and 28th and Derry have games on the 8th,15th and the 28th so that puts his involvement in the Dublin game in particular in doubt.

moysider

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 02, 2015, 11:41:23 PM
A few of those lads ( Bradley, Doherty and Kielt) were playing or came on against Tyrone i was reading. They missed the first 2 games. Lynch was suspended for that game. Chrissy McKaigue missing due to being with Slaughtneil.

Yeah; I tried to watch that Derry/Tyrone match but even the cameras couldn t cope with the conditions. But I noted the return of Doherty and Kielt. Bradley started and is capable of anything.  Kielt came on as a sub and was taken off later, so his fitness cant be great yet. Last year they cut through the league and did poorly after. Their players are better than that. They killed us in league semi last year with 14 men and saved our bacon while they were at it. We couldn t handle McGuckin at all last year. He came on as a sub other night and looks 25% bigger than the last time I saw him - and he wasn t small then either. ????

Mario

Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2015, 12:26:29 AM

Yeah; I tried to watch that Derry/Tyrone match but even the cameras couldn t cope with the conditions. But I noted the return of Doherty and Kielt. Bradley started and is capable of anything.  Kielt came on as a sub and was taken off later, so his fitness cant be great yet. Last year they cut through the league and did poorly after. Their players are better than that. They killed us in league semi last year with 14 men and saved our bacon while they were at it. We couldn t handle McGuckin at all last year. He came on as a sub other night and looks 25% bigger than the last time I saw him - and he wasn t small then either. ????

Bradley hasn't started recent games for Glenavon so I wouldn't be surprised if he's available for some of the remaining league games. Derry have had a poor start to the league but I think they've taken a change of approach this year were they are trying to peak during the summer, in recent years they've had really good league campaigns and flopped in the championship. Also missing key players like Doherty, Eoin Bradley and the some of the slaughtneil contingent hasn't helped.

McGuckin is doing a post grad teaching course in England for the year so has probably missed a lot of training and is only home at the weekends, he wouldnt be long putting on the pounds i'd say, but expect him to get into better shape for the summer. Kielt is one of those players people from other county's always mention, probably because he appears on highlight reels with a couple of long range points every game, i'd say he's not a certain starter though, he has just returned from ankle surgery.

On Derry's decent record v Mayo, i'd say it's probably because Mayo don't play defensive football, play Donegal type tactics against Derry and you will be sure to get a result.

JoG2

2 out of our 3 matches so far have been against the ultra defensive Donegal and the unbelievably ultra defensive Tyrone, so we're looking forward to a fairly open match. Doc is back to shore up the middle. Will be an interesting tussle with A / S O'Shea, unless big Aiden is thrown up top.

Hopefully the crazy snow clears ok

moysider

Quote from: JoG2 on March 03, 2015, 10:48:52 AM
2 out of our 3 matches so far have been against the ultra defensive Donegal and the unbelievably ultra defensive Tyrone, so we're looking forward to a fairly open match. Doc is back to shore up the middle. Will be an interesting tussle with A / S O'Shea, unless big Aiden is thrown up top.

Hopefully the crazy snow clears ok

While we may not be one of the ultras we were much more defensive the last day than we were previously and only played with 3 out and out attackers. I expect/hope that this continues.
What happens with AOS will be interesting. It would be naïve to expect he would be as effective every day inside. From now on most teams would double up and smother him out. People were saying that he is a way of beating the blanket defence but Monaghan were not ultra defensive the last day.

rosnarun

Quote from: Mario on March 03, 2015, 09:00:15 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2015, 12:26:29 AM

Bradley hasn't started recent games for Glenavon so I wouldn't be surprised if he's available for some of the remaining league games. Derry have had a poor start to the league but I think they've taken a change of approach this year were they are trying to peak during the summer, in recent years they've had really good league campaigns and flopped in the championship. Also missing key players like Doherty, Eoin Bradley and the some of the slaughtneil contingent hasn't helped.

McGuckin is doing a post grad teaching course in England for the year so has probably missed a lot of training and is only home at the weekends, he wouldnt be long putting on the pounds i'd say, but expect him to get into better shape for the summer. Kielt is one of those players people from other county's always mention, probably because he appears on highlight reels with a couple of long range points every game, i'd say he's not a certain starter though, he has just returned from ankle surgery.

On Derry's decent record v Mayo, i'd say it's probably because Mayo don't play defensive football, play Donegal type tactics against Derry and you will be sure to get a result.

Life is far too short for that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

I'm expecting AOS to be given a sort of 'roaming' role between midfield and the FF line from now on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

screenexile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 03, 2015, 04:05:46 PM
I'm expecting AOS to be given a sort of 'roaming' role between midfield and the FF line from now on.

He'd best stay away from Midfield lest big Doherty sorts him out again . . .

Mayo to win fairly handy I'd say. We're not going the best.

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2015, 04:41:57 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 03, 2015, 04:05:46 PM

He'd best stay away from Midfield lest big Doherty sorts him out again . . .

Mayo to win fairly handy I'd say. We're not going the best.

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdwAY1vmN6s&spfreload=10
MWWSI 2017