PSNI and the GAA

Started by oisinog, September 10, 2012, 12:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oisinog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19520479

I though this was an intresting read and it shows how the times have kinda moved on.

OakleafCounty

Bit surprised at the Bellaghy chairman saying it would probably never happen in a south Derry club. I hope he's wrong.

Rossfan

I suppose no more than the Loyalist morons around the Carlisle Circus some people don't do "moving on".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oisinog

I know a number of clubs where police officers play hurlin and to be honest the players were well known  as police officers and they were never treated any different.

johnneycool

Quote from: oisinog on September 10, 2012, 12:19:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19520479

I though this was an intresting read and it shows how the times have kinda moved on.

There'll never be a PSNI team entered into a proper league like they do in soccer and rugby as it doesn't fit the current GAA structures.  It could possibly enter into an interfirms type set up, but that'd be just like any other business or company and that's the way it should be.

PSNI members can go play with their home clubs and are currently doing that in various parts of the 6 counties, not all, but hopefully that'll come with time when these communities also feel they're getting an even handed deal with the PSNI.

Saffrongael

Quote from: oisinog on September 10, 2012, 02:31:37 PM
I know a number of clubs where police officers play hurlin and to be honest the players were well known  as police officers and they were never treated any different.

Out of curiosity, how many clubs do you know where there are police officers playing ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

saffron sam2

Quote from: OakleafCounty on September 10, 2012, 01:58:25 PM
Bit surprised at the Bellaghy chairman saying it would probably never happen in a south Derry club. I hope he's wrong.

Given his background, I would have been extremely surprised if he said anything else.

I think the Coleraine spokeman is more in line with majority thinking.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

oisinog

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 10, 2012, 02:43:45 PM

Out of curiosity, how many clubs do you know where there are police officers playing ?

I know of at least 3 for obvious reasons I am not going to name them. I know of Hurling and Camogie I'm sure there are a few football clubs out there as well

AQMP

Quote from: oisinog on September 10, 2012, 03:05:51 PM

I know of at least 3 for obvious reasons I am not going to name them. I know of Hurling and Camogie I'm sure there are a few football clubs out there as well

As you say in your first post oisinog, things have "kinda moved on".  Had we "fully moved on" there would be no need for your reticence in naming the clubs where serving PSNI officers play.

oisinog

Quote from: AQMP on September 10, 2012, 03:18:11 PM
Quote from: oisinog on September 10, 2012, 03:05:51 PM

As you say in your first post oisinog, things have "kinda moved on".  Had we "fully moved on" there would be no need for your reticence in naming the clubs where serving PSNI officers play.

I would agree that if we were fully moved on there would not be problem

There are a few headers out there who would like to take a police officer out.

The vast majorty of GAA people I know it does not bother them who they play with or against

You also need to look at what the Ulster Council is doing with the PSNI the live to play is a fantastic idea and hopefully will save lives

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Eamonnca1

Quote from: OakleafCounty on September 10, 2012, 01:58:25 PM

Of course he's wrong. He's speculating about what might happen between now and eternity. Eternity is a long time. Whenever I hear somebody saying x "will never happen" I always take it with a pinch of salt.  It wasn't so long ago that people would have laughed at the idea of an English soccer team playing in Croke Park or Queen Elizabeth visiting the place. Where are they now?  I was even sceptical about the soccer thing myself, and if I can be wrong then anybody can!  ;D