Author Topic: Belfast GAA is dying...  (Read 8169 times)

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
Re: Belfast GAA is dying...
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
having facilitates is great but without the youth there to take the benefit then theres  no point in having it all there.

The country clubs have the benefit of being the only main focus in an area.We have soccer etc in Dunloy but it has no sway whatsoever compared to the GAA. The pitch is the focal point of the village, much the same as all other places like Lgiel, Cargin, etc so most parents will send thier kids there. All their mates from school etc are all there so 90% of kids in each primary school class will all be there at some poiint to play all of the codes.

Its kind of unfair to compare country and city clubs in this sense for that reason as theres so much more for kids to be involved in within Belfast. we dont compete with anything else for all the kids to come along.

That being said it isn't taken for granted that they will automatically just turn up. we have a mass of vols who want to coach the kids at each level, development committees for all 3 codes set up to try and continually improve the kids and look to ways of fund raising etc. Mobilisation of vols who want to help the kids is the key. If you can get that in place each year then your on to a good start and also keeping them their each year.

hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »
Just seeing and catching up on this.
Huge area but here goes wrapping around a few points that have been made:

1) Clubs folding
Whilst I don't take any pleasure in this, I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't agree we have too many Clubs in Belfast. Call it Darwinian, but some have got to go.

2) Hard work
The point about some clubs having worse facilities because they didn't put work in was as comical as it is insular. Not even worthy of discussion.

3) Facilities
Yes we lack behind - with land area the main reason. On the other side there's no shortage of facilities for hire, but boy do they know how to charge!

4) Community
Rural clubs are a fantastic community focus in more ways than city clubs unfortunately. But there's no point crying about it. As incredible as it sounds the ceasefire took away some emphasis for parents to throw kids into the GAA as an expression of Irishness - soccer rugby and some outlandish activities are even more of a distraction now.

5) Divisional Boards
If there's meaningful games happening at a certain level or code great, but the county must step in if this is not the case - and prioritise an all county set-up to provide this.

So what do we do about it?

Jeez lads I wish I knew!

Certainly no shortage of hard-workers across clubs.
Easy to say get into the primary schools, and that's true, but there's so much more problems to overcome there than merely GAA promotion.

I suppose the one thing we all agree on in that our youngsters need to be playing meaningful well run games week in week out. That's the building block - and it's not always happening at present.
Maybe then we can tackle the on going massive drop off from U16/minor to senior level.

Justa bit of a rant off my head from memorising some of points on the thread there!

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Did we not have a specific strategy for Belfast?
Did 'we' not employ some one to implement said strategy?

Did anything ever come of this?

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
i know from being involved in the camogie that its also really bad as well. theres not a single belfast club competes in the county minor championship and only 1 in div 1 at U16 level as well.

For some reason the girls football is doing really well in belfast so something is being done right on that end.
hurl like f**k boi!

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Did we not have a specific strategy for Belfast?
Did 'we' not employ some one to implement said strategy?

Did anything ever come of this?
Ardu Bheal Feirste. I don't think it progressed beyond paper.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

City Dweller

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
I wouldn't say Belfast GAA is dying at all. Yeap there are some clubs not fielding at all levels, but there are some other clubs where at underage level they are flying.. St Pauls, Sarsfields, St Brigids, Bredagh, Rossa +Davitts (Hurling), St Galls. There are more clubs hurling in the SA leagues than in recent years.

However there is a problem at the teenage years and BrendanAntrim and Usain call it correctly, the lack of games or lack meaningfully games from at U14 and U16 in SA is worrying.

8 league games for U16 Div 1  (a fair chunk of them over GCSE exams) is not going to develop senior players of the future.

At U14 all the clubs are lumped into one “grading” league, this results in a lot of one sided games, and FTFs.

Surely the County officials/and coaching need to be urgently looking at the structure at these levels? As SA clubs seem to be more concerned with U12 teams not having numbers shirts.

btdtgtt

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
i know from being involved in the camogie that its also really bad as well. theres not a single belfast club competes in the county minor championship and only 1 in div 1 at U16 level as well.

For some reason the girls football is doing really well in belfast so something is being done right on that end.

It's the girls football that's killing the camogie.
Nature of the sports is it's easier to teach and learn.

btdtgtt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
I wouldn't say Belfast GAA is dying at all. Yeap there are some clubs not fielding at all levels, but there are some other clubs where at underage level they are flying.. St Pauls, Sarsfields, St Brigids, Bredagh, Rossa +Davitts (Hurling), St Galls. There are more clubs hurling in the SA leagues than in recent years.

However there is a problem at the teenage years and BrendanAntrim and Usain call it correctly, the lack of games or lack meaningfully games from at U14 and U16 in SA is worrying.

8 league games for U16 Div 1  (a fair chunk of them over GCSE exams) is not going to develop senior players of the future.

At U14 all the clubs are lumped into one “grading” league, this results in a lot of one sided games, and FTFs.

Surely the County officials/and coaching need to be urgently looking at the structure at these levels? As SA clubs seem to be more concerned with U12 teams not having numbers shirts.

Valid points indeed.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »

It's the girls football that's killing the camogie.
Nature of the sports is it's easier to teach and learn.

makes sense. I know ladies football was talked about a few years ago around ours but was shot down due to the camogie struggling at that point.

They do seem to have a good structure in place and i notice that they play a speed league at the moment which seems popular, so the football is doing something right.
hurl like f**k boi!

Hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
Yeah fff knows, for the size of the population in the city is it certainly not being anywhere near maximized for Gaelic games.  I still feel the primary schools need to be the bedrock but the clubs then play a massive part in taking this forward but there are so many competing priorities across the board these days that parents are putting a limit on the activities that they will take their children to and this is not just in the city. My kids go to swimming, martial arts, football and hurling before trying to fit in the other things we have to do week to week.  I would like them to try soccer and other sports also but something has to give.  I also know other parents are less enthused about running at all in the evenings.  For this reason I think the primary schools are of vital importance as that way every child gets the opportunity to learn and develop and hopefully put pressure on their parents to take them to a local club even if it is not something the parents care too much for.  Further to that within the school you have good numbers rather than training sessions with a handful of kids where even playing a training game cannot be much fun if it is 4 a side let alone competing in blitzes etc.  How do we kick this on - funding - if it is good enough for Dublin then it should be good enough for Belfast/Antrim with clubs then working closely with schools.

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »
Yeah fff knows, for the size of the population in the city is it certainly not being anywhere near maximized for Gaelic games.  I still feel the primary schools need to be the bedrock but the clubs then play a massive part in taking this forward but there are so many competing priorities across the board these days that parents are putting a limit on the activities that they will take their children to and this is not just in the city. My kids go to swimming, martial arts, football and hurling before trying to fit in the other things we have to do week to week.  I would like them to try soccer and other sports also but something has to give.  I also know other parents are less enthused about running at all in the evenings.  For this reason I think the primary schools are of vital importance as that way every child gets the opportunity to learn and develop and hopefully put pressure on their parents to take them to a local club even if it is not something the parents care too much for.  Further to that within the school you have good numbers rather than training sessions with a handful of kids where even playing a training game cannot be much fun if it is 4 a side let alone competing in blitzes etc.  How do we kick this on - funding - if it is good enough for Dublin then it should be good enough for Belfast/Antrim with clubs then working closely with schools.

So what do you do with the kids then after they have had their couple of hours of football and hurling per week? Where do they go?

How do you make it sustainable? How do you stop it from just replacing the schools PE for a few weeks?

This has been a myth for a long time now, it is not as simple as just going into schools and running coaching sessions.

Hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
That is where the clubs have to then be stepping in and working at engaging the kids and crucially their parents but from my experience unless the parents have a real interest in Gaelic games a lot of them are not overly motivated to bring their children along.  The schools is where you have them all in one place and can sew the seeds.  Good proper coaching in schools and many blitzes to reinforce learning gives you a better chance of the kids getting educated in the games than waiting for them to rock up at their local club.

Last Man

• You wont like it when i get angry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
That is where the clubs have to then be stepping in and working at engaging the kids and crucially their parents but from my experience unless the parents have a real interest in Gaelic games a lot of them are not overly motivated to bring their children along.  The schools is where you have them all in one place and can sew the seeds.  Good proper coaching in schools and many blitzes to reinforce learning gives you a better chance of the kids getting educated in the games than waiting for them to rock up at their local club.

The only schools engagement that has a chance of working is on a few fronts. Representation by local club members on the board of govenors.(Sadly gaa members from rival clubs involved with the school quite often have little positive effect)
Local clubs must engage directly with the schools to forge the link back to the club. This is far from easy and involves a massive sacrifice from the club coaches who give so much of their time already. County coaches going into the schools every now and again, well lets just say I am not convinced. Worth a cost/benefit analysis perhaps? Could the CB support club coaches in this role??

Hectic

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 04:44:51 PM »
Agree with all of what you are saying and funding for me is the crucial link. Whether that is attainable I do not know.

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:48 PM »
It's clear there are a lot of people with Antrim GAA at heart and loads of good suggestions for making steps forward. The one issue that stands out for me that could be improved fairly quickly is that of fixtures at u14 and u16 as that seems to be the problem age group. The divisional boards all seem to work independently i.e SA / SW / NA. Surely the County board could bring them together in Jan/Feb and ask them to co-operate in ages/codes that one of them is struggling in and they could share best practices? That way we would have a better chance of every juvenile getting a good amount of games. Maybe the county should set a mandatory number of games for each team at juvenile level and when a divisional board can't make that number of games they have to approach the County for support?