Author Topic: Belfast GAA is dying...  (Read 8136 times)

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
Belfast GAA is dying...
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:44:25 PM »
Anyone worried at the state of the GAA Belfast?

- Colin Gaels field no boys team in hurling and football
- McDermotts has folded 3 or4 years ago
- Dwyers has no teams
- St Agnes/Eire Og/ Lisburn are amalgamated at juvenile level to field
- St Teresas & Davitts aren't fielding at u16 and minor

Many clubs are also struggling with only one pitch unlike many south west clubs who have 2 pitches....

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
Re: Belfast GAA is dying...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
I'm not saying that there aren't problems but

Colin Gaels and Dwyers not fielding?? Being honest, I've never seen either play at any level.

As regards the other clubs mentioned, haven't they historically struggled with numbers at underage?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:05:38 PM by hardstation »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:57 PM »
The point is that the overall player numbers/clubs is down over the last decade and no new clubs are emerging - Colin Gaels is in a highly populated area and it's disappointing not to see a new strong club emerge
St Enda's, a North Belfast club, moved to North Antrim for hurling and South West Antrim for football some years ago due to a lack of games in Belfast
My own take is that we as an organisation are spending, and I know this is heresy to say, too much money & time on coaching and not enough time on proper fixturing. Teams are training for 7/8 months and only getting 10 or 12 games and hence players walk away....

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
Well when we provide U16s footballers with an 8 game league - 8 games - that's just not good enough Soccer by contrast is able to provide 20 games in a row, without fail, every Saturday am.

If we can't get more than 5 teams to enter Div 1 U16 football in south Antrim, then its time to move to all county.

delgany

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »
Agree with brendan ....some serious big clubs opting out of div 1 u16 ..can't deal with competition.
This has a negative impact on junior clubs underage teams. They are trying to compete in an uneven playing field. Players drift away due to one side nature of games in S A . (Or they move to super clubs ! )    this is wrong .
In SW your league position is determined by how your  team did two years previously.
I think a 3 grade u16 all county league is the way to improve..player sustainability .

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
So, are our divisional boards failing? Or is the South Antim board in particular failing?

The reason I ask. Not too long ago, certain individuals were kicking up that the county board were going to do away with divisional boards. This was mainly triggered by Sean Boyle, Chairman of South Antrim board. (A crying match of "Anti saffron vision" people sticking the oar in.)
Anyway, it appeared unfounded and they didn't do away with them.

Next question, should they?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:52:22 PM by hardstation »

Galer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:02 PM »
Did anyone ever try to copy the dublin clubs model?south west teams have 2 pitches because they put massive amounts of work in. Are ckubs in belfast doin enough?i dont think it.playing the blame game?leaving it to schools to do the work? I understand facilities are a big factor and room for expansion isnt really feasible but generally when enough people put there shoulder to the wheel through hard work and positivity things improve.if your club is in bother why not approach a dublin club to view there model and how they got the players back.i read that burren went to dublin to see how one club operated.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:32 PM »
You need to take a wisener to be quite honest.
"South West teams have a second pitch because they put a massive amount of work in."

True. We'll just phone Sarsfields and tell them how much work we've put in.

Galer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »
Well hs i know portglenone had a draw that raised over 3 now i dont know abt u but at 20 a pop thats some door knockin.all the clubs in the south west,derry and tyrone fundraise in this manner maybe we wouldnt b as slick as the sars lads

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:18:26 PM »
I know all about it. I had Trillick at my door the other night.
They'd be doing well to buy a pitch in Belfast mind you.

Anyway, is money the reason for difficulties in Belfast GAA?
Also, is Antrim a quare spot for GAA with Belfast lagging behind?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:25:03 PM by hardstation »

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »

Trillick selling tickets in the city?

Has this subject not been discussed before on here?

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:39:10 PM »

Trillick selling tickets in the city?

Has this subject not been discussed before on here?
Trillick don't miss a trick.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 12:18:17 AM »
Did anyone ever try to copy the dublin clubs model?south west teams have 2 pitches because they put massive amounts of work in. Are ckubs in belfast doin enough?i dont think it.playing the blame game?leaving it to schools to do the work? I understand facilities are a big factor and room for expansion isnt really feasible but generally when enough people put there shoulder to the wheel through hard work and positivity things improve.if your club is in bother why not approach a dublin club to view there model and how they got the players back.i read that burren went to dublin to see how one club operated.

Jesus lad, facilities are great but if you've no team to use them then what's the point?? We've had 2 pitches for donkeys years, it's how you develop your kids that makes a difference... for a lot of teams to build facilities in Belfast will cost a hell of a lot more than it does up the country...

St Theresa's have two pitches but struggle Sarsfields have great facilities too and they ain't setting things on fire
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
More coaching is needed in the schools. All over the county. Starting at foundation and KS1. The county coaches like Paul Doc are flat out and need more help!

Dreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »
I think schools coaching is a minimal part of it. You can get kids playing the game but it's all about clubs developing them.
IMO clubs need more volunteers to run them correctly thus providing the platform for they players they have. The top clubs are well structured and have plenty of help in coaching/administration/ fundraising/ facilities. Some clubs have the same people doing everything and no matter how good the person is, if you spread yourself too thin you lose the taste.
Getting coaches into schools will not sort this and this is a problem in the whole of Antrim not just Belfast.