Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

To be fair to Harte he's tempered lee nicely into senior football. How often have we seen young talents thrown into the deep end only to watch them flounder? I've a feeling Kerry are doing that with Clifford. Donnelly's form is carrying us through this league nicely, would be lost without him.

Hope Hugh pat's injury isn't serious, we need him in the starting team. Meyler is a finer half back than half forward.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tiempo

Quote from: trileacman on March 19, 2018, 12:47:38 PM
To be fair to Harte he's tempered lee nicely into senior football. How often have we seen young talents thrown into the deep end only to watch them flounder? I've a feeling Kerry are doing that with Clifford. Donnelly's form is carrying us through this league nicely, would be lost without him.

Hope Hugh pat's injury isn't serious, we need him in the starting team. Meyler is a finer half back than half forward.

Will Meyler and Harte keep McCann out when fit again?

RedHand88

Donnelly and Harte seemed to be involved in everything yesterday. They are going to be key in the championship.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: trileacman on March 19, 2018, 12:47:38 PM

Clifford already looks like Kerry's best forward, can't see him floundering too much

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Mayo were a bit of a shambles yesterday and got worse as it went on with the loss of influential players, but it was still another encouraging display. Tyrone do have plenty of fine footballers in attack, whatever anyone has argued in recent times, and with the right style can hurt teams. Important to put in a decent display against Kerry now.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 19, 2018, 03:49:46 PM
Mayo were a bit of a shambles yesterday and got worse as it went on with the loss of influential players, but it was still another encouraging display. Tyrone do have plenty of fine footballers in attack, whatever anyone has argued in recent times, and with the right style can hurt teams. Important to put in a decent display against Kerry now.

Agreed, definitely encouraging stuff yesterday. Whilst we played some good stuff in the early part of the League last year we were still going into the championship without having beaten any of the big 3 in a couple of years so I think yesterday's victory will do our confidence the world of good.

Definite caveats apply in that Mayo were missing a host of key men as the game went on but they still had plenty of experience on the pitch and it shouldn't be forgotten that we were missing Colm Cav, Tiernan McCann and Ronan McNamee from last year's championship team. Three of our big leaders so do perform like that without them is encouraging.

Great to see Lee finishing like that against big opposition, he skinned all star full back Ger Cafferkey for his goal and point from play and I think he will only improve as the year goes on and ball gets drier.

It would be great to beat Kerry now at the weekend and really go into the Championship on a high and with serious competition for places!

omagh_gael

The forward play is really encouraging but I'm starting to get a feeling we're beginning to see the development of some real good options in corner back. HP has been in flying form and McKernan had impressed me a lot. Hampsey and Burns look to be holding the spine of the defence really well, too.

Serious competition for places all over the field now.

Tyrone Dreamer

At least a few wins keeps the anti harte anti system hysteria away for a while. As I've said before you never read too much into the league but it's been an encouraging couple of displays which will give the team a lot more confidence entering the championship. A couple of big positives from the league are:

- A number of players who weren't previously in the first 15 have stepped up in recent weeks - particularly the lads from the last u21 win - Burns, McShane, Meyler, Brennan. Hugh Pat and McKernan have also did well. The team definitely needed freshened up with more options so this has been encouraging. Burns has made a great start to the number 6 role.
- Our tactics have definitely been tweaked from last year. They have throughout the year but because we were losing games early in the league people who weren't attending the games just kept throwing out the same lines from recent years. We are pushing up more and more on kickouts which is great to see as it can allow you dominate for spells of a game. I just hope come the championship we are brave enough to do it against the top teams and not half push up like against Dublin last year.
- It's great to have a finisher inside like Brennan who can convert chances. He does need to keep working on the frees as he has missed 4 or 5 in the last few games that you need to be scoring. He will also find the championship a big step up like McCarron from Monaghan did last year. But he has shown a lot of promise so far.

Onto this weeks game and I'm sure Harte will be targeting a win to keep momentum up. However, he'll also need to give players a run out to ensure a lot of players get game time. I'd go with something like this:

O'Neill
McNamee
Hampsey
McKernan
R Brennan
Burns
Meyler
Cavanagh
McClure
McGeary
Mulgrew
Mattie
Brennan
McAliskey
O'Neill

GetOverTheBar

Fair play to Tyrone, didn't think they would get anything in Castlebar personally. Didn't see the game so can't comment too much although as previously mentioned, Mayo are a different side in the summer.

Still though, encouraging signs.

Christmas Lights

Id fear for Mayo tbh.  Their league has been shambolic enough.  Its not good going into the championship whatever way you look at it. 

HalfBack7

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 20, 2018, 10:45:14 AM
Fair play to Tyrone, didn't think they would get anything in Castlebar personally. Didn't see the game so can't comment too much although as previously mentioned, Mayo are a different side in the summer.

Still though, encouraging signs.

Highlights from the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AZm0eat1M

Knock Yer Mucker In

Lads as much Tyrones shots execution was excellent, we would have to take into consideration how brutal Mayo looked, so far off the pace. Deegans not sending the Mayo player off for levelling Hugh Pat was disgraceful. Big Colms black card was very unfair as he was protecting himself from getting levelled also. Mc Nultys was a brutal challenge and a  straight red. I don't think we can read to much into this as we were so far ahead of mayo in fitness and attitude to the game to assess where our attacking plan will be improved on last years.

Jim Bob

Has Morgan been dropped in favour of O Neill I wonder?

Club boi

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 20, 2018, 04:21:58 PM
Has Morgan been dropped in favour of O Neill I wonder?

I would say more because Mc Curry walked, keep back ups happy, but IMO there is very little to choose between the 2 after a few poor enough showings from Morgan

Fuzzman

I'd disagree. I think Morgan is still No 1 choice for Mickey and for many
He was the bloody international keeper for Gods sake but for me he needs to calm down the headless chicken stuff sometimes.

I was delighted to see how players are now running ahead of the ball whilst looking for a pass and no longer this rugby style of the shoulder passing.
Too often in the past when a player gets a pass he immediately looks backwards and not forwards which seems to be changing but maybe that's also due to other teams having less men back in a blanket.

Mulgrew's ball into Lee for his point from play was excellent and something I hope we see a lot more of.
I hope Skeet gets into it a bit more as he doesn't seem to getting on the ball as much as you would hope. How old is he now?
Serious competition for places now all over the field besides maybe the FF line.
I'd say McCurry just wanted to play more club football rather than training like a mad man and not getting much football all year.