Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

Quote from: SillyAsFaugh on September 16, 2017, 05:30:14 PM
Quote from: SillyAsFaugh on September 14, 2017, 02:57:29 PM
My money would be on a Gort na mona and Sarsfields double..

Sarsfields were seriously impressive - 6 points didn't do justice to the scoreline. 2 disallowed goals by Cunning on top of that.
Their running was a joy to watch. How many yellow cards did Cunning hand out?? He seemed to enjoy the attention.

hurlingstick

Gort nearly let their dominant display slip at the end too. They should have been out of sight. Desy McClean hit a load of wides but given the conditions you can't blame him.

SillyAsFaugh

Dryer day Sarsfields would have been well out of sight, speed and passing was something else. Carey goal keeper kept us in it. Cunning gave a few soft frees and was a bit card happy. Square ball calls disallowing two goals where debatable in my opinion.

Glenarm kept going for goals, could have won in the last few minutes.

hurlingstick

Quote from: SillyAsFaugh on September 16, 2017, 05:52:28 PM
Dryer day Sarsfields would have been well out of sight, speed and passing was something else. Carey goal keeper kept us in it. Cunning gave a few soft frees and was a bit card happy. Square ball calls disallowing two goals where debatable in my opinion.

Glenarm kept going for goals, could have won in the last few minutes.

Hard to argue there. He gave 3 square balls - 2 called from the halfway line. He's very arrogant.

ciaran1988

Glenarm never turned up for 50 minutes. Gort never took full advantage with some bad wides especially from frees in the first half. Second half Glenarm kept dropping the ball in with no luck till the last 5 minutes. If they had put these chances they could have well snatched an underserved win. Gort well deserving winners

Sarsfields were so much better than Carey and they played some lovely hurling. The second disallowed goal should never have been disallowed. They always seemed to have an extra player even before Carey's red card and in better conditions they would have won by a lot more.

Conditions weren't great at all but well done to the players on all 4 teams who battled and gave it there all and for all the fans who stood in the downpours was a decent crowd.

Lastly the standard or refereeing in both games was poor with a lot of soft frees being given

faughs

Sarsfields were thoroughly deserving winners. Forwards were fantastic and defence rock solid.

Lot of off the ball niggling and dirt not seen by cunning and fair play as that cuteness made a difference, but wouldn't have changed the outcome, disaponting none the less especially the sending off.

Would like to wish sarsfields all the best in ulster but the conduct and lack and of sportsmanship from both players and supporters alike leaves a sour taste.

Milltown Row2

Jesus! Lads it was a final both games the lads are hyped up and trying to bring a title back to their clubs! Course there will be a win at all cost attitude by some and that won't sit well with everyone but it's over and the 2 best teams on the day won.

as for the refs lads give it a break, best referees about doing the final so ya can't argue that one ffs! Be some disappointed posters here though... two Belfast teams winning for flip sake!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: faughs on September 17, 2017, 02:43:06 AM
Sarsfields were thoroughly deserving winners. Forwards were fantastic and defence rock solid.

Lot of off the ball niggling and dirt not seen by cunning and fair play as that cuteness made a difference, but wouldn't have changed the outcome, disaponting none the less especially the sending off.

Would like to wish sarsfields all the best in ulster but the conduct and lack and of sportsmanship from both players and supporters alike leaves a sour taste.

Watched most of the first game and all of the second and all things considered the refereeing was more than acceptable. Not happy with referees......go be a referee.
As far as the niggling was concerned I suppose they were smarting over the fact of having to come to Armoy for the game and Keevo built a bit of extra hype around it. What you needed to understand that they were always going to get on like this and through all the snarling and nipping there is no real menace, none. Any of their players that should have seen a red card? I didn't see it. So taking all that nonsense as an irrelevance the Paddies were deserving winners by the standard of hurling they produced on the day.
Good luck to them.

paddyjohn

I've played along with, against and have been reffed by skinny and the one thing he ain't is arrogant. I'd go as far as saying he's the best ref we've had since Tommy McIntyre.

Well done to both Gort and The Paddies.

hurlingstick

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 17, 2017, 06:47:23 PM
I've played along with, against and have been reffed by skinny and the one thing he ain't is arrogant. I'd go as far as saying he's the best ref we've had since Tommy McIntyre.

Well done to both Gort and The Paddies.

Lot of people at the final yesterday felt he had a very negative impact on the game. With the early penalty, the square ball calls from distance, the amount of yellow cards given out? What are your thoughts on those 3 things, PJ?

Milltown Row2

All the umpires and lines men are hooked up to mica and the ref talks the whole time.... 7 sets of eyes watching the game, not a lot being missed I'd say. As for the distance on square balls I'd say he was a lot closer than you but you're able to call it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2017, 08:12:59 PM
All the umpires and lines men are hooked up to mica and the ref talks the whole time.... 7 sets of eyes watching the game, not a lot being missed I'd say. As for the distance on square balls I'd say he was a lot closer than you but you're able to call it.

I wasn't able to call it - not once have I said otherwise.

Milltown Row2

So he was closer than you and made a decision, what's your problem then?

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 17, 2017, 08:22:20 PM
So he was closer than you and made a decision, what's your problem then?

How do you know he was closer than me?

Milltown Row2

For starters his umpires were closer. And at worst he'd have been 40/50 yards from the edge of square, you are outside the perimeter of the fence and unless you were standing behind the net, still further than the umpires the is say you were further away. But sure you should try refereeing as you'd be top notch