Galway v Monaghan, Super 8s Phase 3. 4/8/18. Pearse Stadium.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 25, 2018, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Michael Daly unlikely to be risked, tight hamstring apparently
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Main Street

Should other Galway players feel a need not to risk their tight hamstrings, they will be looked upon with upmost sympathy and respect.

rrhf

am I right that both teams just need a draw to eliminate Kerry

CornUladh02

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 28, 2018, 09:00:21 PM
I'd still stay the attendance will be a little lower than it would've been but nothing you can do about it now. Although the round of super 8s should've been played off this week
Pretty hard of amateur lads to play 3 matches in 3 weeks after coming through the qualifiers also for some teams so I'd disagree with you.

From the Bunker

Quote from: rrhf on July 29, 2018, 11:33:17 PM

Yes, Kerry are totally reliant on a Galway win to get through.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: rrhf on July 29, 2018, 11:33:17 PM

Yes a draw would make sure Monaghan go through and it would also keep Galway top. Works well for both sides involved...
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Main Street

And Kerry not progressing would be the bonus benefit.

Unlaoised

Bookies have reduced the odds on the draw.........

Mmmmmmmm
LAOIS ABÚ

RedHand88

Quote from: Unlaoised on July 31, 2018, 11:23:09 AM
Bookies have reduced the odds on the draw.........

Mmmmmmmm

If I were Monaghan I would be wary of some Galway bucko acting a hero when its a draw in injury time  ::) Best just going for the win.

An Fhairche Abu

Surely that is just in response to the money punters are placing on it.
Both teams will be going for the win, if it's level 2/3 minutes into injury time then I could see Monaghan maybe taking what they have rather than risking going out altogether but before that...I can't see it.

JoG2

Quote from: CornUladh02 on July 29, 2018, 11:58:59 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 28, 2018, 09:00:21 PM
I'd still stay the attendance will be a little lower than it would've been but nothing you can do about it now. Although the round of super 8s should've been played off this week
Pretty hard of amateur lads to play 3 matches in 3 weeks after coming through the qualifiers also for some teams so I'd disagree with you.

I'd say county footballers could manage 70mins of football every 7 days. It's the lottery of injuries that would be the concern. Would have been better to play the 3 games in 3 weeks allowing for a weeks break afore the semi' s

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 31, 2018, 11:47:37 AM
Surely that is just in response to the money punters are placing on it.
Both teams will be going for the win, if it's level 2/3 minutes into injury time then I could see Monaghan maybe taking what they have rather than risking going out altogether but before that...I can't see it.

Hmm.. that sounds like a high-wire strategy to me.. Monaghan should play to the final whistle with the intention of winning. They should (hopefully) have learned from the Kerry game that trying to play keep-ball does not work if not executed correctly.. If you're going to play keep-ball in an attempt to draw the opposition up the field then you need to break for a score, rather than just trying to run down the clock.. Had that of been done the last day then we wouldn't be in this sticky situation..

I'm confident that they can win on their own merit however, rather than by some sort of hoodoo-whataboutery-if-then-else-magic..

An Fhairche Abu

Don't get me wrong I don't think either Monaghan or Galway will play for the draw at all, but if Monaghan are 3 minutes into 4 minutes of injury time and in possession on their own 21 while it's a draw match do they go all out for the one point win and leave themselves open to a counter attack?

Bit of a narrative emerging that Monaghan will win purely down to the fact that Galway don't need to, I cannot see Galway just meekly giving up their excellent winning record and momentum built to date, consistency has been a massive problem for years, it's only now that we're seeing any progress in this area. Galway will be in with a decent shout whatever team they line out with Saturday, they've played 13 league and championship matches this year, the only two games they haven't won were the two against the best team in the country. That has to count for something at this point.

Main Street

If it came down to monaghan a point behind and are awarded a penalty at the death, what does Conor do, go for the safe point or the goal?

galwayman

I assume we will make 4 or 5 changes whilst still having a strong team out?
Daly won't be risked anyway.
Duggan could do with the gametime.