Galway v Monaghan, Super 8s Phase 3. 4/8/18. Pearse Stadium.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 25, 2018, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Congrats to the Monaghan lads,  great to see ye making the Semis after 30 years.
Ye are what we want to be -strong, consistent, well managed and well organised.
I'd love to have Corey or them Wylies or Hugheses in our ranks.
Warriors every one of them -and no bullshit or spin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: sid waddell on August 04, 2018, 11:39:19 PM
I think Dublin are on the slide. I don't expect Galway to beat them but I expect a totally different Galway performance, the final outcome being something akin to the League final.

There's no individual Dublin forward you'd say is having a great year. It's the overall array of threats that will probably still get them there.

But I'd say there's arguably four Galway forwards that would get their place on the Dublin team at the moment, were they available to Dublin. Comer for certain. Probably Brannigan, Walsh and Burke too.

Dublin will be a totally different beast to the league, they are a phenomenal outfit, I'm surprised that some people think they are on the outs, maybe I'm wrong but I think they'll win it out without too many issues this year.
I can't see personally what Galway lads would slot into that team so easily either.

It will be great, but probably painful also, experience for the Galway team next Saturday against a top class Dublin team, they'll hardly be as flat again but make no mistake that was abject stuff against Monaghan.

cornetto

Not a great outing for Galway, and on the injury front Kerin and Sean kelly Not looking too good.
Was in wards hotel after match, mixed views from former stalwarts,some saying we couldn't be that bad,others saying it was mind games,and the scariest one we are gone back to lateral play and slow build up.As said in an earlier post if Galway were not going all out for this game Shane Walsh would have been taken off at first sign of injury.lets hope it's a blip and give the dubs a good old rattle!

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2018, 12:18:31 AM
Congrats to the Monaghan lads,  great to see ye making the Semis after 30 years.

You are so obsessed with McStay that you couldn't resist even making the best day in living memory for Monaghan about him..

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2018, 02:02:38 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2018, 12:18:31 AM

You are so obsessed with McStay that you couldn't resist even making the best day in living memory for Monaghan about him..

Only you could turn that post into anything referencing McStay....well done the Farney men

Rossfan

The village eejit certainly showed who's obsessed with Kevin in that post😀.
And implies that Kevin is one for spin and bullshit 😆😀😁😂.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omagh_gael

I think we'll look back at this game next week and realise Kevin made a huge error. It's one thing sending out a side minus 4-5 starters and give it 75% knowing you're safe, however, going with a full strength team and getting a trimming is the worst of both worlds.

Regardless of what was said in the dressing room their A team just got beat by double scores and looked to have picked up one or two and injuries. That is not an ideal way to go into their biggest game since 2001.

Fair play to Monaghan though. My Mum's a Drumhowan woman so I'm half Farney myself! Really hope we can do the job in Ballybofey today to set up a great game next weekend!

Solo_run

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 05, 2018, 08:37:24 AM
The village eejit certainly showed who's obsessed with Kevin in that post😀.
And implies that Kevin is one for spin and bullshit 😆😀😁😂.

And you're w man who can't even stand behind what you said in black and white..

DJGaliv

What in God's name are we supposed to think after that?

Positives - I thought Tom Flynn was excellent again. He's really pushed on this season, and is now one of our most important and influential players.
Declan Kyne surprisingly did well on Conor McManus.
And...eh....the weather was decent.

Negatives - We were passive in defence, no real old head or leader back there. I felt we missed Heaney's pace on the counter-attack. GOD just doesn't offer the same "break the line" speed that is required for our set up.
Varley is a great impact man, but having him there meant Shane Walsh was moved out the field where his tendency to drift really made the forward line unbalanced. We left three up, but I'd rather see Walsh up there as a link man on their 45 and with Burke and Comer inside.
Our panel is taking a hitting now and I'd worry about our impact off the bench against the Dubs. Watching Sweeney and Cummins come on didn't fill me with confidence.

I think we are a tad unfair on Galway and KW. Easy to say we should have rested a heap of lads and then be thrashed but KW and Galway would have been killed by everyone saying they had disrespected the competition and Kerry. Was it worth that hassle?
The issue was we half did everything. We picked the best team but then didn't really come to fight for it and so left empty handed.
I thought Monaghan were the best team we came up against in the league this year bar Dublin so not overly surprised to lose to them.

Also a word to the travelling Monaghan fans - fair play to ye and well done.

Main Street

I suppose it would be fair to say Galway were not actually at the races, but how you put all that behind and get on with the semi final afresh will be an undertaking. I suspect this game has set you back a bit, at least increased the magnitude of the task ahead.
Conor Lane managed the game quite well I thought, I'd be content if he was given the semi final v Tyrone.

thebackbar1

As a matter of interest what did Damian Comer do to deserve a second yellow ?

The Subbie

Quote from: thebackbar1 on August 07, 2018, 11:22:26 AM
As a matter of interest what did Damian Comer do to deserve a second yellow ?

Excessive diving