The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Amount of wickets they have lost.

They need 72 runs from 90 balls - and have 8 wickets in hand

Eamonnca1

What's losing a wicket? Is that when a batter is dismissed?

Gabriel_Hurl

correct - the innings is over when you lose 10 wickets

BennyHarp

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 15, 2015, 01:35:09 PM
Right lads firing up the bandwagon again   :D

All aboard! ole, ole, ole, ole!!  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

Gabriel_Hurl

There won't be a cow milked in Malahide today

Eamonnca1

Now it's saying West Indies 304/7 (50) Ireland 307/6 (45.5)   

What's that number in the brackets?

deiseach

Overs bowled/faced. The West Indies got their runs off 300 balls (50 x 6). Ireland passed that total in 275 balls ((45 x 6) + 5).

Ball Hopper

For Eamonn...and anyone else can correct me if I'm wrong in anything here:

The one day international (ODI) format is 50 overs (with 6 bowled balls per over) or 10 "dismissed" batters, whichever comes first. In baseball terms, 300 pitches or ten outs. 

West Indies got 304 runs in their 50 overs, for the loss of 7 wickets. 
Ireland replied with 307 runs to win, 307 being greater than 304 (the last ball being hit for 4 when on 303), for the loss of 6 wickets. Ireland had 4 wickets to spare, so that is considered the margin of victory, with 4.1 overs remaining (25 balls).  No need to continue batting as run total surpassed, similar to baseball home teams not batting in the bottom of the ninth inning if ahead.

That sound ok to anybody more expert than me?

Don't ask me about the five day test matches though...

Sidney

An Irish sporting victory on the world stage that everybody can be proud of.

What a team, what a group of players.

We'd win the World Cup if we had Morgan and Rankin.

macdanger2

Good to see Ireland win but tbh not a sport I'd have much interest in. Watching the highlights is grand but you'd be worn out watching a full game.

Is it not a bit odd that some players (e.g. Joyce) play for Ireland for a while, then f*ck off to play with England and are then allowed back to play for Ireland??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 16, 2015, 05:40:38 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 15, 2015, 01:35:09 PM
Right lads firing up the bandwagon again   :D

All aboard! ole, ole, ole, ole!!  ;D
What a team. Never in any doubt.

<frantically googles "Irish cricket team" before going to work>

deiseach

All present and correct, Ball Hopper. The best way of understanding Test cricket is to think of baseball (which won't help most people). In baseball you need 27 outs over nine innings. In Test cricket, you need 20 outs over two innings. Whoever has the most runs once that is achieved is the winner. There is no limit on the amount of balls that can be bowled/pitches that can be pitched. Although cricket will give up if it hasn't happened after five days!

ONeill

Feck sake. Eyes gave way as Ireland opened their batting. Great win. Pakistan, England - now the Windies.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

David McKeown

Good win for Ireland but the Windies are definitely a team in transition and were missing some key players particularly after the fiasco of leaving the India tour early last year. So all in all not a massive shock for an Irish side who have a good reputation of turning over at least one test side every World Cup.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

They still had serious big names in Bravo, Gayle, Samuels etc. The nephew of the Irish Coach (simmons I think) was playing for them as well. I went to bed at 140ish for 5 and it looked like the Windies were cutting loose. Didn't expect Ireland to bat so well.

I heard this morning on Talksport, they spoke on the phone to Niall O'Brien, that the World Cup in England in 2019 is going to be reduced to 10 teams, and Ireland may well miss out. That would be a shame for them, given their recent performances in these tournaments.