Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2017, 02:42:59 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 02, 2017, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2017, 02:06:41 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 02, 2017, 01:31:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2017, 12:48:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2017, 09:55:02 AM
It's been voted in for 3 years.
How about we see how it works out folks?

Round robins aren't some new untested structure. We know exactly how they work without wasting three years with a transparent attempt by Duffy to paper over falling attendances.

Are attendances falling that much? Rosc v Mayo will be well enough attended and the place is full on Saturday. It depends on the combination of teams involved.

In the last 12 months the attendance of the exact same pairing in the Connacht final fell by about 7,000. This being a relatively competitive match-up, far removed from the one-sided drubbings Leinster has become known for. People are turning off their TVs and not bothering to attend. If you think the sport isn't shrinking you aren't really looking very closely at all.
What's the solution?

Dublin are the problem and the solution.
Your solution to the Connacht final attendance falling by 7,000 in one year is to tell us that Dublin is the problem?

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 02, 2017, 02:46:26 PM

Round robins aren't some new untested structure. We know exactly how they work without wasting three years with a transparent attempt by Duffy to paper over falling attendances.

Are attendances falling that much? Rosc v Mayo will be well enough attended and the place is full on Saturday. It depends on the combination of teams involved.

In the last 12 months the attendance of the exact same pairing in the Connacht final fell by about 7,000. This being a relatively competitive match-up, far removed from the one-sided drubbings Leinster has become known for. People are turning off their TVs and not bothering to attend. If you think the sport isn't shrinking you aren't really looking very closely at all.
What's the solution?

Your solution to the Connacht final attendance falling by 7,000 in one year is to tell us that Dublin is the problem?

I've explained my solution in this thread and in others in detail.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2017, 02:47:46 PM

What's the solution?

Summary form will do.

Ball Hopper

Top Six instead...4 provincial champs plus one qualifier from A and one from B.

Two groups of 3, two games for each county, top two to semifinals.

So this year would see Kerry, Roscommon and Mayo/Galway on one side and Dublin, Tyrone and Monaghan/Armagh on the other.  Game 1 has the Provincial champs meet in Croke Park, and qualifier has two away games.  Winner of game 1 plays qualifier in game 2.  Let's assume winner of game 1 wins again.  That means the last game, between loser of game 1 and qualifier, is for a semifinal spot.  No draws, no extra time even, winner decided by playing on after normal time and time added on until we get a score.  A scenario could arise with all three teams having one win each...how best to sort that out? Is Scoring difference really fair, or is the Aussie % better as it takes differing weather conditions into account? 

I suggest goals scored be the first tie-breaker.  That would be different.

We can call it the Six-Pack.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 02, 2017, 03:13:46 PM

So this year would see Kerry, Roscommon and Mayo/Galway on one side and Dublin, Tyrone and Monaghan/Armagh on the other.  Game 1 has the Provincial champs meet in Croke Park, and qualifier has two away games.  Winner of game 1 plays qualifier in game 2.  Let's assume winner of game 1 wins again.  That means the last game, between loser of game 1 and qualifier, is for a semifinal spot.  No draws, no extra time even, winner decided by playing on after normal time and time added on until we get a score.  A scenario could arise with all three teams having one win each...how best to sort that out? Is Scoring difference really fair, or is the Aussie % better as it takes differing weather conditions into account? 

If you went down that route I'd suggest that it could be loosely based on the AFL playoffs scenario (8 go through, top 4 play off 1v4 2v3, losers of those meet the winners of playoffs 5v8 6v7, those winners then meet the winners of the two top 4 games to qualify for the Grand Final). http://www.droppunt.com/images/AFL-Finals-System.gif

Here the four teams through from the qualifiers playoff, Mayo v Galway and Monaghan v Armagh, while the four provincial winners playoff, Kerry v Roscommon and Dublin v Tyrone, those two winners go straight to the semi finals and the losers (say Ros and Dublin) play the winners of the qualifier ties (say Mayo and Monaghan), Roscommon v Mayo and Dublin v Monaghan, with the winners advancing to the semis.

To avoid repeat clashes (like the AFL do per link above) you'd then have Kerry v Dublin and Tyrone v Mayo or Ros in the semis. Still takes time but at least each game counts for something.

Rossfan

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 02, 2017, 02:48:36 PM

What's the solution?

Summary form will do.
C'mon Syfīn Let us in on the secret as we haven't time to be trawling back. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 02, 2017, 03:13:46 PM

I like it but it just doesn't have the same effect without mentioning Duffy, Money, The Dubs or Sky in it.

Seriously though, very good idea.

Zulu

What's the solution?

He's solution involved splitting the Dubs and Cork and joining the likes of Longford and Roscommon or Laois and Offaly. Outside of it solving none of our problems, creating many more, being cloud cuckoo land unrealistic and anti-GAA I fail to see any problems with his 'solution'. Perhaps other posters can point out the problems to me?

mrhardyannual

On the face of it the drop of 6000 from 2016 to 2017 appears to back up your contention but only if seen in isolation. While the attendance figures dropped from 24324 in 2016 to 18287 it was still considerably higher than the figure of 15960 that attended the 2016 replay between the same sides. As I would confidently estimate that the Roscommon support in Croke Park last Sunday was at least equal to that 16000 odd, it would suggest that the prime factor in determining level of support (discounting weather conditions etc) is expectation. In this regard expectation in Roscommon was high before the 2016 Connacht final, depressed for the replay, muted for the Connacht Final 2017 and rampant for last Sunday.

Rossfan

We had a bit if a bandwagon last year in Salthill but this year we had roughly the same 6,000 that were at the Leitrim game.
Howevera Connacht Title and improved performance plus a day out in HQ and we're rolling again.
Attendances are generally up this Summer.
Hurling massively because Cork and Wexford going well draw huge crowds. 366k to date compared to 230k at same stage last year.
Football
Connacht down 11k - replayed final 2016
Leinster up 30
Munster up 10
Ulster down 45 - 2 draws 2016
Qualifiers and 1st 2 Qtr Finals up 90k.

By the way the 1990 Connacht Final had 17,000 !!

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2017, 07:45:12 PM
We had a bit if a bandwagon last year in Salthill but this year we had roughly the same 6,000 that were at the Leitrim game.
Howevera Connacht Title and improved performance plus a day out in HQ and we're rolling again.
Hurling massively because Cork and Wexford going well draw huge crowds. 366k to date compared to 230k at same stage last year.
Football
Leinster up 30
Munster up 10

The population of Ireland was lower in 1990. The height for attendances was when it made sense to move Ulster finals to Croker - if you're telling me interest is still at those levels I'm speechless.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on August 02, 2017, 08:16:10 PM
The population of Ireland was lower in 1990. The height for attendances was when it made sense to move Ulster finals to Croker - if you're telling me interest is still at those levels I'm speechless.

Does being speechless mean you won't be posting?
Interest isn't at those levels, Armagh have not been doing as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Football
Leinster up 30
Munster up 10

Wish you would take a vow of silence first a few days.
Still waiting for your Championship proposal ;)

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 02, 2017, 08:53:03 PM
Football
Leinster up 30
Munster up 10

Wish you would take a vow of silence first a few days.
Still waiting for your Championship proposal ;)

Use the search function.

Rossfan

I'll take that as a No then.